Heat Capacity: Mixing 100g Water @2C & 50g Ice @-4C

In summary: Q_1$ and $Q_4$ are found by multiplying specific heat capacity by mass by temperature change.In summary, to find the final temperature of water when 100g of water at 2 degrees Celsius is mixed with 50g of ice at -4 degrees Celsius, one must consider the energies involved and determine which option applies. The heat of fusion of the ice, which is 334 kj/kg, is used to find the energies $Q_2$ and $Q_3$. To convert from kj/kg to j/g, the heat of fusion remains the same at 334.
Raerin
If 100g of water at 2 degrees Celsius is mixed with 50g of ice a -4 degrees Celsius, what is the final temperature of water? It also says that I need the heat of fusion of the ice to solve it, which I have found to be 334 kj/kg. I don't know what to do with the heat of fusion. Also, how do I convert 344 kj/kg to j/g? Is it still 334?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Raerin said:
how do I convert 344 kj/kg to j/g? Is it still 334?
Yes.

Raerin said:
If 100g of water at 2 degrees Celsius is mixed with 50g of ice a -4 degrees Celsius, what is the final temperature of water? It also says that I need the heat of fusion of the ice to solve it, which I have found to be 334 kj/kg. I don't know what to do with the heat of fusion.
There are four options:

(1) all ice will melt
(2) some ice will melt
(3) some water will freeze
(4) all water will freeze

In cases (2) and (3) the resulting temperature of the mixture is 0 degrees Celsius.

Consider the following energies.

$Q_1$ heats 50g of ice from -4°C to 0°C.

$Q_2$ melts 50g of ice at 0°C.

$Q_3$ melts 100g of ice at 0°C, or is produced when 100g of water freezes.

$Q_4$ heats 100g of water from 0°C to 2°C, or is produces when 100g of water cools from 2°C to 0°C.

Then the options above take place under the following conditions.

(1) $Q_1+Q_2<Q_4$
(2) $Q_1<Q_4<Q_1+Q_2$
(3) $Q_4<Q_1<Q_4+Q_3$
(4) $Q_3+Q_4<Q_1$

$Q_2$ and $Q_3$ are found by multiplying heat of fusion by mass.

Related to Heat Capacity: Mixing 100g Water @2C & 50g Ice @-4C

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g·°C.

What is the specific heat capacity of ice?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g·°C.

What is the final temperature when mixing 100g of water at 2C and 50g of ice at -4C?

The final temperature can be calculated using the equation Qwater + Qice = 0, where Q represents the heat energy transferred. Plugging in the values, we get (100g)(4.18 J/g·°C)(Tf-2C) + (50g)(2.09 J/g·°C)(Tf--4C) = 0. Solving for Tf, we get a final temperature of 0°C.

What is the change in enthalpy when mixing 100g of water at 2C and 50g of ice at -4C?

The change in enthalpy can be calculated using the equation ΔH = mCΔT, where ΔH represents the change in enthalpy, m represents the mass, C represents the specific heat capacity, and ΔT represents the change in temperature. Plugging in the values, we get ΔH = (100g)(4.18 J/g·°C)(0C-2C) + (50g)(2.09 J/g·°C)(0C--4C) = -836 J. Therefore, the change in enthalpy is -836 J.