Having trouble understanding Domains and Multi Variable Functions

In summary, the Domains of multivariable functions are any x and y for which the function is defined.
_Steve_
Hey guys, I'm doing some multivariable calculus atm, and I need some help with the Domains of some multivariable functions...
1) f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 2y
The problem I'm having here is I basically forget the definition of domain... would it be for all x and y even though there are two whole quadrants this function doesn't hit? (looking at the x-y plane here..)

2) f x(x,y) = 6x
I'm looking at the partial derivative in regards to x here. Would I just assume this is a single variable function and only write the Domain in terms of x? If not, what would I write for the Domain?

3)f y(x,y) = 2
This is the partial derivative in terms of y, I know on the x-y plane it would be defined for all x... is it the same here?

Physics news on Phys.org
_Steve_ said:
Hey guys, I'm doing some multivariable calculus atm, and I need some help with the Domains of some multivariable functions...
1) f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 2y
The problem I'm having here is I basically forget the definition of domain... would it be for all x and y even though there are two whole quadrants this function doesn't hit? (looking at the x-y plane here..)

The domain of a function is the set of all values for which the function is defined. Are there any real values of x and y for which you cannot compute 3x2 + 2y ?

2) f x(x,y) = 6x
I'm looking at the partial derivative in regards to x here. Would I just assume this is a single variable function and only write the Domain in terms of x? If not, what would I write for the Domain?

It is not a single variable function, or it wouldn't have been written as f(x,y) . If there were a term for f(x,y) which only depended on y alone, would it appear in fx ?
3)f y(x,y) = 2
This is the partial derivative in terms of y, I know on the x-y plane it would be defined for all x... is it the same here?

Yes, same issue, different variable...

("Multivariate calculus ATM"? I have to evaluate a triple integral to get money out of the machine now!?)

Hahaha atm/at the moment, same thing! (god wouldn't that be terrifying!)

Ok! I think I understand. I'm just trying to see where you CAN plug in numbers for...
For 1) you can plug in any x,y and get an answer
For 2) any x, y works, even though there's no y, it just means it works for any y
For 3) any x, y works because it's just constant, like in single variable if we have y=2 it works for all x
So for each function the Domain would be any x, y.

Now if we were looking at the range for 3), would it be z is only defined at 2?

_Steve_ said:
For 2) any x, y works, even though there's no y, it just means it works for any y

What fx = 6x implies is that after integrating with respect to x , we would have f( x, y ) = 3x2 + g(y) ; instead of an "arbitrary constant" as in single-variable integration, we get an "arbitrary function" which has no dependence on the variable of integration.

So as far as the domain goes, f( x , y ) would be defined for all real x , provided that y is in the domain of g(y) . In other words, there could still be whole lines or bands which all not in the domain of f( x, y ) because g(y) is undefined for those values of y (regardless of whether terms involving x are defined).

For 3) any x, y works because it's just constant, like in single variable if we have y=2 it works for all x
So for each function the Domain would be any x, y.

Now if we were looking at the range for 3), would it be z is only defined at 2?

By the same reasoning, since fy = 2 , integration in y tells us that
f( x , y ) = 2y + g(x) . We can always calculate 2y , but if g(x) = 1/x , for instance, then the domain of f( x , y ) would not include the line x = 0 .

Ok! I get it now, thanks a lot for all the help! I'm starting to dread integration of multivariable functions now though :P

Related to Having trouble understanding Domains and Multi Variable Functions

What are domains and multi variable functions?

Domains and multi variable functions are concepts in mathematics that involve the mapping of one or more variables to a corresponding output. The domain refers to the set of input values that can be used to evaluate a function, while a multi variable function involves multiple independent variables that can affect the output.

Why do people have trouble understanding domains and multi variable functions?

People may have trouble understanding these concepts because they can be complex and abstract. Additionally, the use of multiple variables and the need to consider different input values can make these concepts more challenging to grasp.

How can I improve my understanding of domains and multi variable functions?

One way to improve understanding is to practice solving problems involving domains and multi variable functions. It can also be helpful to break down the concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek clarification or additional resources from a teacher or tutor.

What are some real-world applications of domains and multi variable functions?

Domains and multi variable functions are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems. For example, in economics, multi variable functions can be used to study the relationship between multiple factors, such as income and spending habits, on consumer behavior.

What are some common mistakes when working with domains and multi variable functions?

Some common mistakes include incorrectly identifying the domain of a function, not considering all variables in a multi variable function, and incorrectly applying rules or formulas when solving problems. It is important to carefully consider all variables and their potential values when working with domains and multi variable functions.