Having trouble calculating Radial and Tangential aspects of a cars acceleration

In summary, to calculate the radial and tangential aspects of a car's acceleration, you need to find the vector projection of the acceleration along the tangential direction and subtract it from the acceleration to get the normal component. From there, you can use standard formulas to calculate the curvature and radius of curvature. Another approach is to find the scalar product of the acceleration and velocity in component form, or use trigonometry to find the parallel and perpendicular components of the acceleration.
nukeman
Having trouble calculating Radial and Tangential aspects of a cars acceleration...!

Homework Statement

Here, I will just post the question as an image. Never mind the one where I have to sketch, but b and c I am having trouble with.

wilrfd.png

How do you calculate the radial and tangential aspects of the cars acceleration? and from that info, how do I calculate the radius?

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org

You have the tangential direction since you are given the velocity. Figure out the vector projection of the acceleration along the tangential direction and subtract that from the acceleration to get the normal component. From that you should be able to calculate the curvature and radius of curvature with standard formulas.

I'm still having trouble with b

??

LCKurtz said:
You have the tangential direction since you are given the velocity. Figure out the vector projection of the acceleration along the tangential direction and subtract that from the acceleration to get the normal component. From that you should be able to calculate the curvature and radius of curvature with standard formulas.

Method 1:
Write the car's acceleration and its velocity in component form.
Then find the scalar (dot) product [itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] from the components.
Remember that this scalar product gives you the component of a that's in the direction of v times the magnitude of v.
Can you take it from here?​

Method 2:
From the given information, find the angle between the direction of the acceleration and the direction of the velocity.
Use basic trig. to find the component of a parallel to v and the component of a perpendicular to v.​

Related to Having trouble calculating Radial and Tangential aspects of a cars acceleration

What is radial acceleration and how is it different from tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration directed along the tangent of a circular path.

Why is it important to calculate both radial and tangential acceleration for a car?

Calculating both radial and tangential acceleration is important because they contribute to the overall acceleration of the car and can affect the car's speed, direction, and stability.

What factors affect the radial and tangential acceleration of a car?

The speed of the car, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the car are the main factors that affect the radial and tangential acceleration of a car. Other factors may include the car's tires, engine power, and the terrain.

How can I improve my ability to calculate radial and tangential acceleration for a car?

Practice and understanding the equations and concepts involved in calculating radial and tangential acceleration can improve your ability. Also, having a good understanding of the car's dynamics and physics can also help.

Are there any tools or resources that can assist in calculating radial and tangential acceleration for a car?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can assist in calculating radial and tangential acceleration for a car. Additionally, there are textbooks and tutorials available that explain the concepts and equations in detail.