Have 2 Masters, thinking about PHD, but

In summary, Liam has a background in Electrical Engineering and currently works at a government research lab. He has obtained two non-thesis masters degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science through a part-time program. Now at 25, he is interested in pursuing a PhD in order to explore a research area. He is seeking advice on whether he is a good candidate and what steps he should take to get into a PhD program. He also mentions that he is unsure about the process since he doesn't know many people in a similar situation. It is suggested that he takes the GRE, obtains letters of recommendation, and applies for a PhD program in the fall. He may also be able to receive support from his employer for the program.
Upsampled
Hi,

I got my undergraduate in Electrical Engineering. Then went right to work at a government sponsored research lab. I got into a part-time masters program from a good school and got two non-thesis masters: one in Electrical Engineering, the other in Computer Science. The reason for two masters is because I work in communications and both skills are needed daily.

Currently I'm 25 and have a strong desire for a PHD because I finally have the tools (EE math, CompSci programing) to really explore a research area.

So:
Am I a good candidate? If not what am I missing?
What is the process for someone in my situation to get into a PHD program?

ANY additional info will help. Don't know many in my shoes.

-Liam

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you wouldn't be a good candidate based on the limited information you have provided. The steps would be the same as if you were still in school: study for and take the GRE, line up letters of rec from professors who knew your work (plus one from your employer), and apply next fall.

I don't know about your employer, but most industry employers will defray costs for a degree program. It takes longer (as I'm sure you found out while working towards your masters degrees) but you may be able to tie your thesis into a project of interest to your employer.

Related to Have 2 Masters, thinking about PHD, but

1. What are the benefits of having two Masters degrees before pursuing a PhD?

Having two Masters degrees can provide you with a strong foundation in two different areas of study, allowing for a more well-rounded and diverse skill set. This can be beneficial when pursuing a PhD as it can give you a broader perspective and deeper understanding of your chosen field of research.

2. Is it necessary to have two Masters degrees before applying for a PhD program?

No, it is not necessary to have two Masters degrees before pursuing a PhD. However, having multiple degrees can make you a more competitive candidate and can also demonstrate your dedication and commitment to your field of study.

3. Will having two Masters degrees make the PhD program easier?

Having two Masters degrees may provide you with a strong foundation and knowledge in your field of study, but it does not necessarily make the PhD program easier. Pursuing a PhD requires a high level of dedication, hard work, and critical thinking skills, regardless of the number of degrees you have.

4. What factors should I consider before deciding to pursue a PhD?

Before pursuing a PhD, it is important to consider factors such as your career goals, research interests, financial situation, and personal commitments. You should also research and carefully consider the specific requirements and expectations of the PhD program you are interested in.

5. How can having two Masters degrees help in my future career?

Having two Masters degrees can open up a variety of career opportunities, as it demonstrates a high level of expertise and knowledge in multiple areas. It can also make you a more competitive candidate for higher level positions and leadership roles in your field.