Has anyone started a business out of college as a mechanical engineer?

In summary, the speaker is discussing their experience starting an engineering business while still in college and their current work on a Masters degree. They are developing an automated welding machine that incorporates mechanical, electrical, and computer science. The speaker is also learning about the business side of things and is hoping to connect with others in the technological field. They are looking for potential breakthroughs in their machine and are seeking feedback and possibly photos of the machine in action.
Pattonias
I am starting a engineering business with some friends while I am still in college. I graduated this past December and I am now working on my Masters. I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and what technological field you were in. We are designing an automated welding machine so we are incorporating mechanical, electrical, and computer science right off the bat.

I have taken the reigns on the business side and am learning as much as I can as fast as I can. It can be difficult to switch gears from engineering to business and back again with consistent success.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ooooh please let me know about the welding machine...

I am hoping you guys are the breakthrough "Cut and Paste" crew I've been praying for...to create a program that will allow you to cut and paste any autocad or solidworks drawing into the computer, and use it to set welds into the frames of our bikes...

We have a ton of different axis' and the machine's movements are changing direction through some of the complex welds...as some bikes and trikes require.

Let me know if you want any feedback from a manufacturing guy and would love to point you in the direction of making some real breakthroughs in these machines...

got any pics of the machine in works?

Related to Has anyone started a business out of college as a mechanical engineer?

1. Can a mechanical engineer start their own business right out of college?

Yes, a mechanical engineer can start their own business right out of college. Many engineers have the skills and knowledge necessary to start a successful business, such as problem-solving abilities, technical expertise, and project management skills.

2. What types of businesses can a mechanical engineer start?

Mechanical engineers can start a variety of businesses, including consulting firms, product design and development companies, and manufacturing businesses. They can also offer services such as design and analysis, project management, and technical training.

3. How can a mechanical engineer prepare for starting a business after college?

To prepare for starting a business after college, a mechanical engineer can gain experience through internships or co-op programs, develop a strong network of contacts, and improve their business and entrepreneurship skills through courses or workshops. They can also conduct market research and create a detailed business plan.

4. Is it necessary for a mechanical engineer to have a business degree to start their own business?

No, it is not necessary for a mechanical engineer to have a business degree to start their own business. While having a business background can be helpful, engineers have the technical and problem-solving skills that are essential for running a successful business. They can also hire or partner with individuals who have business expertise.

5. What are the potential challenges of starting a business as a mechanical engineer?

Some potential challenges of starting a business as a mechanical engineer include obtaining financing and managing finances, finding clients and building a customer base, and competing with established businesses in the industry. Additionally, engineers may need to balance their technical work with the responsibilities of running a business, such as marketing and administration.