Has anyone here ever experienced an enlightenment?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a personal experience of Buddhist enlightenment, referred to as kensho, and its lasting effects. The person who experienced it describes it as a profound feeling of peace, clarity, and contentment, with a sense of oneness and no separation from the senses. They also mention the challenges of replicating it and the importance of quieting the ego. Another person shares their similar experiences and offers advice on achieving this state. Overall, the conversation highlights the transformative and enlightening nature of this experience.
Radagast, I recommend the movie "Cirlce Of Iron".

Physics news on Phys.org
So radagast, your own words...

Originally posted by radagast
Just as well, it doesn't take a lot of experience to realize when someone's verbally defensive. In an online situation, that is an excellent example of one's ego shining thru. What else would lead a person to defend a position The person wanting the truth to be the predominate result!- when nothing serious would occur from a lack of defense. Not really true as, a lie may be left standing, that is unacceptable at this point in the pathway that, by God's Grace, I must follow. (by being led)

When you ask for examples, that, by itself, is a defensive act. Think about it. When it really comes down to it, why would you care whether we think your enlightened or not, NO, but I do care about the "Truth", and how that is presented to people as that is all they have to learn from, and, as the learning is the important part, I would prefer to (attempt) do that well, if possible. yet you still manage to brave a written defense.

One thing you state really strikes to the heart of the matter. Judgement. Unbidden, when one person is judging another's actions/words/position, that, in and of itself, is an obvious act of ego. Hence the next quotation, from you, you starting in the excersize of judgment, the second one, followed by your first one... The persons I've known that were much closer to enlightenment than I am (or likely ever will be) are about as non-judgmental as they come.

Clearly here you pass judgment, inasmuch as you trust your judgment...

While it is my judgement, it is one I tend to trust. As for training, it do that quite regularly, both alone and with Buddhist monks. Being around them I do get the feel for the clarity or calmness that I, as a 'non-enlightened being' would expect sense around, and as part of, an enlightened individual. I have had, what I believe to be, an enlightenment experience (satori), so I feel I've got at least some grounding in forming a judgement in the area.

But here you have made an assumption about me...that above you trust, but I ask you, based upon what?

No insult intended, RP, but using the definition of Enlightenment typical of Buddhism, I'd have to lean toward agreeing with ENtropy. Loss of ego is extremely typical of enlightened individuals. Even people that are practicing toward that are a lot like that - they will almost never be seen in an argument or debate. Just your last response would have been extremely atypical of an enlightened person.

As you have simply decided that you know 'the how' and 'the why' of my life, the presentation of the person, who is here, and yet you have little direct knowledge of me, no personal interaction, and are probably lacking in sufficient knowledge of the overall capabilities that I have been allowed to see/hear/feel/know/live in a full fourty seven years of living, (in my fourty-eighth) as the life that I lead has a form of a duality about it, that is exceedingly self evident, yet Abolutely impossible to validate to anyone else. (Personally, God's Grace. I really don't need to, haven't needed to for a lot longer then most people will ever know, and, again by God's Grace, I do care!)

One of the simplest manners of "Hiding an Ego", in North American Society, is by being having, and being able to communicate esoteric knowledge. In a discourse that is simply intellectual inasmuch as it seeks to find truthfull knowledge, an Ego can be very very well hidden, especially when the person is, Not completely absent of one, but absent enough to have learned the value of absenting it, By Practise!

(But again, you would not know! would you?, how could you?)

Originally posted by TENYEARS
Radagast, I recommend the movie "Cirlce Of Iron".

I've seen it. A very good movie.

Originally posted by eNtRoPy
(SNIP) illegally camped tent (SNoP)

Curiousity? where did you get this idea from? the idea that my camping situation is "illegal"?

After all, your not a lawyer, right?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Curiousity? where did you get this idea from? the idea that my camping situation is "illegal"?

It's just a play on words. By a strategic placement of a single adjective, I can make you sound ten worse. I learned this technique from the public education system of America.

Why do you think I called Andy a 17 year old boy? Had I called him a 17 year old man, then you would have sounded less like the homosexual pedophile that you may (or may not) be. Of course, human nature is to always assume the worst of a person. So you can see how easy it is for me to capitalize on this fact as well. Yes, I also learned technique from the American public education system.

We rule!

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
It's just a play on words. By a strategic placement of a single adjective, I can make you sound ten worse. I learned this technique from the public education system of America.

Why do you think I called Andy a 17 year old boy? Had I called him a 17 year old man, then you would have sounded less like the homosexual pedophile that you may (or may not) be. Of course, human nature is to always assume the worst of a person. So you can see how easy it is for me to capitalize on this fact as well. Yes, I also learned technique from the American public education system.

We rule!

eNtRopY

The braggadocio of a self inflated narcisist, not bad.

All you really suceed in doing, in the end, is lieing to yourself,

#1) cause you don't know if the "others" (the readers of these writings, other then your 'playpals') really believe you.

#2) becuase you must believe in your own lie(s) as to seem convincing.

#3) You think that because you can lie (and are willing to do it) that you are, therefore, Superior.

(clear proof of you duping yourself!)

How am I lying? You still haven't proven to any of us that you are not a homosexual pedophile OR that you saved the Canadian government $40,000,000 OR that you have such a profound understanding of gravity that you are constantly on the run from American G-men who want to destroy the potentially dangerous information in your head OR that you are enlightened.

eNtRopY

How am I lying? (Opening your mouth, seems to work!) You still haven't proven to any of us that you are not a homosexual pedophile OR that you saved the Canadian government $40,000,000 OR that you have such a profound understanding of gravity that you are constantly on the run from American G-men who want to destroy the potentially dangerous information in your head OR that you are enlightened.

eNtRopY

And I have abolutely no need to prove anything to you.

PS. you haven't proven a lick of that to be true, either, but you have, once again proven yourself to be quite the "maker'r upperer of the storryer!" (How sad..and kinda silly, in a 'stupid' sort of way. Spuuun Doctor! "weaver of de tails, de (false) trails")

And I have abolutely no need to prove anything to you.

You have no need to lie to us either, yet that doesn't stop you.

eNtRopY

My original post seems to have been eaten by the system... Computers, got to love em.

Mr. P, Yes, I have made a judgement - having never claimed to be enlightened, this would be consistent with my current state of being.

Could I be incorrect, yes. I only have what I've seen to base my judgements on, so on that limited information have have made a judgement call. And your subsequent words didn't dissuade me from my original position.

Perhaps you are one of the few people in history to actually be enlightened. I've only heard of two that I considered enlightened in the last 2500 years (based on their words and actions), perhaps you're number 3. Imagine getting to sesshin and telling everyone that I got to talk to an enlightened person - the next Buddha.

And I was there!

You have no need to lie to us either, yet that doesn't stop you.

eNtRopY

Again, here you go, accusing with no eveidence, no proof, nothing but your own self assumptive silliness.

Little boy, go back to your mama!

PS the thread is about enlightenment, I know that is difficult for you entropy, to deal with reality, but try, for the sake of all of the readers of these forums, try.

My original post seems to have been eaten by the system... Computers, got to love em.
Mr. P, Yes, I have made a judgement - having never claimed to be enlightened, this would be consistent with my current state of being.
Could I be incorrect, yes. I only have what I've seen to base my judgements on, so on that limited information have have made a judgement call. And your subsequent words didn't dissuade me from my original position.
Perhaps you are one of the few people in history to actually be enlightened. I've only heard of two that I considered enlightened in the last 2500 years (based on their words and actions), perhaps you're number 3. Imagine getting to sesshin and telling everyone that I got to talk to an enlightened person - the next Buddha.

And I was there!

I agree, that kind of enlightenment is really really rare on the face of the planet, but it still occurs.

Whether, or not, this is achievable, in my lifetime, is something that is between myself, and my creator. Clearly, to me, it wouldn't, and cannot, occur, save for the blessings of that creator being given to such result.

Praise be to God!

I agree, that kind of enlightenment is really really rare on the face of the planet, but it still occurs.

Whether, or not, this is achievable, in my lifetime, is something that is between myself, and my creator. Clearly, to me, it wouldn't, and cannot, occur, save for the blessings of that creator being given to such result.

Praise be to God!

That's the (extremely uncommon) kind of enlightenment that Entropy and I have been talking about.

Since it seems that your working definition was a little more commonly occurring, I withdraw any comments about your (lack of)attainment of enlightenment, under your definition.

Praise be to God!

Although, the Zen philosophy doesn't address the issue of whether or not God exists, when you get right down to it, every great Zen master was an athiest.

eNtRopY

So let's put it this way, of all of the ones, who have achieved a true form of enlightenment, had to have had that within them, from the beginning, just that, they themselves, had not yet learned enough about themselves, to live with that which is within them, as free.

Even the mother who adopted me, recognized that I needed to be free.

(nature? nurture? 'or both!?)

Oh my god!

Although, the Zen philosophy doesn't address the issue of whether or not God exists, when you get right down to it, every great Zen master was an athiest.

eNtRopY

That may not be true. I read somewhere, possibly an Alan Watts book, I can't remember where that the Buddha saw god in the end. When asked about God and spirits he said let the ''gods and spirits take care of themselves. We must learn to this live life here on this world. That may not be a direct quote it is at least aparaphrase of what he was said to have said.

Whethe Buddhist or Christian it is within all of us. We have only to look within and accept what we see. Then the hard work starts.

Zen, christian, american indian, voodoo, science, santa claus does not address anything. Individuals address the truth not a building, a computer a group of people or whatever relative objects one needs to define to grope for some meaning. The truth exists in one place and one place alone. You may call it every nowhere or nowhere everywhere, but in the end if it aint in mud it isn't anywhere.

Originally posted by TENYEARS
Zen, christian, american indian, voodoo, science, santa claus does not address anything. Individuals address the truth not a building, a computer a group of people or whatever relative objects one needs to define to grope for some meaning. The truth exists in one place and one place alone. You may call it every nowhere or nowhere everywhere, but in the end if it aint in mud it isn't anywhere.

Except for that cryptic part about mud, I think most Zen Buddhist would agree.

All we are is dust in the wind dude! :wink:

Ah yes, that mention of "My Mom", it was an "intuitive thought" that had arisen 'within her', (at last that is what she has told me, more then once) as she had been observing this boy playing in the back yard, less then five years old, and it was from 'within her' that she had known of the need of myself, to be free.

(Lord knows! I had nothing to do with it!)

Then there was the zen monk who declared: "Now that I have become enlightened, I am just as miserable as I ever was. Ha! Ha!"

Originally posted by quartodeciman
Then there was the zen monk who declared: "Now that I have become enlightened, I am just as miserable as I ever was. Ha! Ha!"
Perhaps his perception of being, or having become "enlightened" was simply a self-deception, as I, personally, have not found the pathway (my own) to be a miserable one, just that some of the people that I have had to deal with, along that pathway, have definitely tried to make it that!

God does not make it miserable to be enlightened, humans do!

I rather enjoy thinking he is right on target, and it sounds very zenlike.

I rather enjoy thinking he is right on target, and it sounds very zenlike.
OK, but I would rather surpass "zenlike", xazen and beyoooond!

You probably meant zazen-- jes' sittin' thar, thinkin' nuttin'.

This is a tangent, but-- In 1968 Karlheinz Stockhausen wrote an intuitive composition called Es ("It") for a trained group of musicians. Here is the instruction for each musician:

think NOTHING
wait until it is absolutely still within you
when you have attained this
begin to play

as soon as you start to think, stop
and try to re-attain
the state of NON-THINKING
then continue playing.

------

:) TFYP!

that's Thanks For Your Patience.

(SNIP) You probably meant zazen-- jes' sittin' thar, thinkin' nuttin'. (SNoP)
Uuuuh, no, I meant Xazen, means; "beyond Zen!"

If you meant to have it in Japanese, then shouldn't that be chozen to mean 'beyond zen'?

If you meant to have it in Japanese, then shouldn't that be chozen to mean 'beyond zen'?
The manner in which I express it, is the manner in which it was taught to me, hence out of respect for that which "teaches"(taught) me, I stick with what I know

Just as a point of curiosity (not being fluent in Japanese), does that mean 'Xazen' is Japanese?

Just as a point of curiosity (not being fluent in Japanese), does that mean 'Xazen' is Japanese?
If the question is towards me, I have no idea!

A question for Royce and Radagast (and anyone else with any insight):

What does it mean to quiet the ego in terms of meditation? Specifically, how is it distinct from quieting the mind? Quieting the ego when in the presence of other people seems to be clearly distinct from quieting the mind; presuming solitary meditation, though, the distinctions seem to break down. In this situation, what is the difference between the two?

Drugs...lots and lots of drugs is what you people need...ketamine, mostly.

Got 'em, thanks for the suggestion though.

Since meditation isn't a straightforward, press this button and the ego stops, press this button and the mind's voice stops, I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question. Meditation does tend to affect both the mind's voice, by quieting it, and your ego. In all my experiences of watching my own mind, I can't help but think there's a relationship between the mind's voice and the ego, but that could simply be my seeing a stronger relationship where only a simple corrolative set of experiences exists.