Has anyone changed their name? I want something more unique

• Thread starter pa5tabear
  • Start date
In summary: Name?")People judge others on their name. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. And even beyond judgement, there's the "memorable" factor. An artist can put out great work, but if their name is generic, they won't be remembered or noticed as much. It's definitely a weird thing to do, and most people I know would probably view it negatively, but what do you all think? Anyone have experience?I assume you're talking about your real name? I have a friend who changed her name (because of a family situation), she had to get permission from the Queen to do so. A criterium was that the family name was not allowed to exist
pa5tabear said:
Give me some hard analysis of these ideas PF... am I overly shallow?

An analysis of what? As I said, it depends on what you want your unique name to be and how different it is from your current name. People change their names, I even forgot to mention all the Chinese people who adopt a Western name.

One of the criteria in the Netherlands is that you can change it easily if it's a common name, which makes sense. I know a number of males from the Czech Republic and they are all called Pavel, it led me to conclude that all Czech males carry the same name :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
all Czech males carry the same name :-p

That's because their birth certificates are filled out by a Czech-writing machine rather than by hand.

:ba DUM bum tss:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

UniqueJimmy is more unique, however; it's not nearly as unique as UniqueMonique.

chemisttree said:
UniqueJimmy is more unique, however; it's not nearly as unique as UniqueMonique.

Unique New York Unique New York Unique New York. The arsonist has oddly shaped feet. The human torch was denied a bank loan.

This discussion isn't really going where I wanted it to go, so I'll try and be more direct.

I'm entertaining the idea of changing my last name. I'm fine with my first name, despite it being very common and generic. I would change my last name for the following reasons:

-I'm not proud of my father's actions and the last name is a constant reminder of him
-I don't like the sound of it that much. It's okay, but I can think of lots of names which I like the sound of much more. I assume other people might have similar aesthetic feelings towards it. I know I have like certain last names more than others.

pa5tabear said:
This discussion isn't really going where I wanted it to go.

This is your decision. If it helps you forget about your father, and you think that it will improve your life, then go ahead and do it. The feedback you're looking for, I presume, is that people will reassure you that this is the right thing to do, and that you'll be fine.

Humans have names so that we have something to call each other. If I walked up to you and you told me that your name was John Smith, or if you told me that your name was John Rodriguez, or John Alvarez, or John Carr, or anything, then I would think absolutely nothing of it. The only thought going through my mind is, "oh, when I see this guy again, I need to remember to call him John -----."

You clearly have reasons behind wanting to change your name that equate to something more than changing your name for namesake. If the pros outweigh the cons, then by all means, change your name.

pa5tabear said:
I'm entertaining the idea of changing my last name.
No wonder the discussion is not going in the direction you want to if you omit such details in your first posts. I've given examples of friends changing their last name, which you haven't addressed. I really don't know why you need other people's opinion, it's your decision and you need to live with it.

Since you can't decide on a new surname, why not just use your first name (which you seem to like)? Your name could just be, for example, Frank or Sarah depending on your gender. I see no reason why you must have a last name. If you do, just repeat your first name, like Major Major in the Joseph Heller novel "Catch 22". Actually Major Major's middle name was also Major and he was a major in the US Army, so his full ID was Major Major Major Major.

EDIT: A common first name can be an unusual last name. Consider US Congressman and (still) presidential candidate Ron Paul. I think the reason he got elected to Congress was his unusual last name (I can't think of any other reason unless you think the country was perfect in 1912). Now if he had changed his first name to Paul, I think he would have been president by now

Last edited:
pa5tabear said:
This discussion isn't really going where I wanted it to go, so I'll try and be more direct.

I'm entertaining the idea of changing my last name. I'm fine with my first name, despite it being very common and generic. I would change my last name for the following reasons:

-I'm not proud of my father's actions and the last name is a constant reminder of him
-I don't like the sound of it that much. It's okay, but I can think of lots of names which I like the sound of much more. I assume other people might have similar aesthetic feelings towards it. I know I have like certain last names more than others.

1. "Unique" is not the same as "different from my father".
2. My wife changed her last name. She had a bit of trepidation initially but it wore off.

Good luck! I hope you find the man of your dreams!

Last edited:
Monique said:
You should pronounce mine with a distinguished French flare :biggrin:

Mine too, Justin is pronounced much different with a French accent than in English. (spell check looking for a Cap on english but not french)

That said, I personally find my name with a French accent to sound too feminine for my ego.

nitsuj said:
I personally find my name with a French accent to sound too feminine for my ego.
We could always just call you "Miss Bateman" instead. :-p

I work at a business that includes a "Garden Center"...I had to google "miss Bateman", I assume reference to "a Rose by any other name..." :shy: & :smile:

"I tell you life ain't easy for a boy named Sue!"

Funny note, more often than I like my name is misspelled "Justine".

nitsuj said:
I assume reference to "a Rose by any other name...
I wish that I was that clever, but alas...
I've never heard of the flower and didn't know about your association with gardening. My reference was simply to the actress.
(I'll file that info away for use in future jokes, though.)