Harmonic Oscillator: Impulse needed to counteract energy loss

In summary: I mean t be the period of the pendulum. That would have made more sense. Also, in my solution I tried to use the definition of Q to find the energy lost per cycle but it didn't really work out for me. But now that you mention it, I think I might have an idea. Thanks for your help!In summary, the problem involves finding the impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum with given length, mass, amplitude, and quality factor. The energy transferred by the impulse must compensate for the energy dissipated by friction, resulting in a constant amplitude swing. The solution involves calculating the initial and final energies, and using the assumption of a large Q factor to simplify calculations. The final answer should be
Wavefunction

Homework Statement

The pendulum of a grandfather clock activates an escapement mechanism every time it passes
through the vertical. The escapement is under tension (provided by a hanging weight) and gives the
pendulum a small impulse a distance [itex] l [/itex] from the pivot. The energy transferred by this impulse
compensates for the energy dissipated by friction, so that the pendulum swings with a constant
amplitude.
a) What is the impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum of length [itex] L [/itex] and mass [itex] m [/itex], with
an amplitude of swing [itex] θ_0 [/itex] and quality factor [itex] Q [/itex]? You can assume [itex] Q [/itex] is large and [itex] θ_0 [/itex] is small

Homework Equations

[itex] \ddot{θ}+2β\dot{θ}+(ω_0)^2θ=0 [/itex] where [itex] θ(t)=exp[-βt][θ_0cos(ω_1t)+\frac{βθ_0}{ω_1}sin(ω_1t)] [/itex] from initial conditions [itex] θ(0)=θ_0 [/itex] and [itex] \dot{θ(0)}=0 [/itex]

[itex] (ω_0)^2 \equiv \frac{mgL}{I}, I =mL^2, 2β \equiv \frac{b}{I} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first I calculated the initial energy: [itex] E_i = \frac{1}{2}m(ω_0)^2L^2[θ_0]^2 [/itex]

Next I calculated the energy at a time [itex] t_0 [/itex] later: [itex] E_f = \frac{1}{2}mL^2[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2 [/itex]

Then I took the change in energy: [itex] ΔE_- = E_f-E_i = \frac{1}{2}mL^2[[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2-(ω_0θ_0)^2] [/itex]

In order to offset this change in energy I need to add an energy [itex] ΔE_+ [/itex] such that [itex] ΔE_-=ΔE_+ [/itex].

So I'll let [itex] ΔE_+ = \frac{1}{2}ml^2[Δ\dot{θ}]^2 [/itex]

Since [itex] ΔE_-=ΔE_+ → \frac{1}{2}mL^2[[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2-(ω_0θ_0)^2] = \frac{1}{2}ml^2[Δ\dot{θ}]^2 [/itex]

so [itex] Δ\dot{θ} = \frac{L}{l}\sqrt{[[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2-(ω_0θ_0)^2]} [/itex]

Now in order to find the impulse [itex] Δp [/itex]: [itex] \|\vec{ΔL}\|=\|\vec{r}\|\|\vec{Δp}\|(1) = IΔ\dot{θ} → Δp = \frac{mL^2}{l}Δ\dot{θ}[/itex]

So finally I have [itex] Δp = \frac{mL^3}{l^2}\sqrt{[[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2-(ω_0θ_0)^2]} [/itex]

I have a feeling I made a mistake in choosing my [itex]ΔE_+[/itex] any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you making this too hard, because you haven't used
You can assume ##Q## is large

You could take that assumption as meaning the motion over one cycle is approximately the same as undamped SHM, and then find the work done by the damping force.

Your solution looks like it will be exact for any value of Q, if you manage to finish it.

Wavefunction said:
Okay so first I calculated the initial energy: [itex] E_i = \frac{1}{2}m(ω_0)L^2[θ_0]^2 [/itex]

Check to see if there's a typographical error above. The right hand side does not appear to have the dimensions of energy.

Next I calculated the energy at a time [itex] t_0 [/itex] later: [itex] E_f = \frac{1}{2}mL^2[\dot{θ(t_0)}]^2 [/itex]

I'm not sure what time ##t_0## refers to.

I agree with AlephZero that you might be making it more difficult than necessary.

It appears that they want the answer expressed in terms of the Q factor. Considering the definition of Q factor, can you express the energy lost per cycle in terms of Q and the initial energy?

AlephZero said:
Are you making this too hard, because you haven't used

You could take that assumption as meaning the motion over one cycle is approximately the same as undamped SHM, and then find the work done by the damping force.

Your solution looks like it will be exact for any value of Q, if you manage to finish it.

I thought about that, but in the solution that my professor gave it did not use the Q factor at all.

TSny said:
Check to see if there's a typographical error above. The right hand side does not appear to have the dimensions of energy.

I'm not sure what time ##t_0## refers to.

I agree with AlephZero that you might be making it more difficult than necessary.

It appears that they want the answer expressed in terms of the Q factor. Considering the definition of Q factor, can you express the energy lost per cycle in terms of Q and the initial energy?

My apologies it should read for the initial energy [itex] E_i = \frac{1}{2}m(ω_0)^2L^2[θ_0]^2 [/itex]. Also, [itex] t_0 [/itex] is a general time during the oscillation of the pendulum. I'm really concerned as to whether my choice for [itex] ΔE_+ [/itex] was correct because my answer looks quite different from the one my professor got in class. The reason why I want to know is because I wouldn't necessarily think to solve it the exact way my professor did.

Wavefunction said:
My apologies it should read for the initial energy [itex] E_i = \frac{1}{2}m(ω_0)^2L^2[θ_0]^2 [/itex].
Good.

Also, [itex] t_0 [/itex] is a general time during the oscillation of the pendulum.

If ##t_0## is a general time, then shouldn't the expression for the energy at time ##t_0## include potential energy as well as kinetic energy? If you look at your expression for ##E_f## at time ##t_0##, it appears to include only kinetic energy.

But I'm not sure how you are going to get to the answer with this approach. Since, the Q factor is assumed given, you should be able to find an expression for the amount of energy that must be transferred to the pendulum each cycle. Then deduce what the impulse should be to provide that energy. (You should consider how many impulses there are each cylce.)

Note, each time the impulse acts, it can be considered as acting over a very small (almost infinitesimal) time interval at the moment the pendulum is vertical. At least, that's how I interpret the problem.

TSny said:
Good.

If ##t_0## is a general time, then shouldn't the expression for the energy at time ##t_0## include potential energy as well as kinetic energy? If you look at your expression for ##E_f## at time ##t_0##, it appears to include only kinetic energy.

But I'm not sure how you are going to get to the answer with this approach. Since, the Q factor is assumed given, you should be able to find an expression for the amount of energy that must be transferred to the pendulum each cycle. Then deduce what the impulse should be to provide that energy. (You should consider how many impulses there are each cylce.)

Note, each time the impulse acts, it can be considered as acting over a very small (almost infinitesimal) time interval at the moment the pendulum is vertical. At least, that's how I interpret the problem.
Ah yes, I believe that's where I went wrong I should have let [itex] t_0 [/itex] be the time of a half cycle so the final energy contains only potential energy.

When ##\theta## is at its the maximum value, the kinetic energy = 0 so the total energy in the system = the gravitational potential energy of the mass.

I would use that fact, and then use the definition of Q in the link in post #3.

If your prof did it the hard way by solving the equation of motion, that's his problem not yours :smile:

Related to Harmonic Oscillator: Impulse needed to counteract energy loss

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that has a stable equilibrium position and experiences a restoring force when displaced from that position. Examples include a mass attached to a spring and a pendulum.

What causes energy loss in a harmonic oscillator?

Energy loss in a harmonic oscillator can be caused by friction, air resistance, or other external forces that act against the motion of the oscillator.

How is energy loss measured in a harmonic oscillator?

Energy loss in a harmonic oscillator can be measured by observing the decrease in amplitude of the oscillations over time. This can be done through experiments or mathematical calculations.

Why is it important to counteract energy loss in a harmonic oscillator?

In order for a harmonic oscillator to continue oscillating with a constant amplitude, the energy lost must be replaced. Otherwise, the oscillator will eventually come to a complete stop.

What is the impulse needed to counteract energy loss in a harmonic oscillator?

The impulse needed to counteract energy loss in a harmonic oscillator depends on the amount of energy lost and the time interval in which the energy is lost. It can be calculated using the formula Impulse = Change in momentum = Force x Time.