Harmonic Function Values (Complex Analysis)

In summary: To find v(1/2), we need to evaluate this integral. However, as you mentioned, it seems to give a complicated result. One approach we can take is to use a computer or calculator to evaluate the integral numerically. Another approach is to use approximations or techniques like the Residue Theorem to evaluate the integral analytically. In summary, we can use Poisson's Integral Formula and the Cauchy-Riemann equations to find u(1/2) and v(1/2) in this problem. However, evaluating v(1/2) may be difficult and require some additional
EC92

Homework Statement

Let [itex]u[/itex] be a continuous real-valued function in the closure of the unit disk [itex]\mathbb{D}[/itex] that is harmonic in [itex]\mathbb{D}[/itex]. Assume that the boundary values of [itex]u[/itex] are given by

[itex] u(e^{it}) = 5- 4 \cos t. [/itex]

Furthermore, let [itex]v[/itex] be a harmonic conjugate of [itex]u[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{D}[/itex] such that [itex]v(0) = 1[/itex]. Find [itex]u(1/2)[/itex] and [itex]v(1/2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

Harmonic functions fulfill
[itex] u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0[/itex].
Poisson's Integral Formula (for harmonic functions) tells us that
[itex] u(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{1-|z|^2}{|e^{i\theta}-z|^2}u(e^{i\theta}) d\theta [/itex].
The harmonic conjugate of [itex]u[/itex] is given by the line integral
[itex] v(z) = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^z u_x(w) - iu_y(w) dw [/itex].
The harmonic conjugate is itself harmonic, so Poisson's formula applies to it as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's easy to find [itex]u(1/2)[/itex]: it is
[itex] \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{3/4}{5/4 - \cos\theta} (5-4\cos \theta) d\theta = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0 ^{2\pi} 3 d\theta = 3 [/itex].

However, I can't figure out how to compute [itex]v(1/2)[/itex]; the formulas just seem to give a hopelessly complicated mess.
Any ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your problem. First, let's review the equations that we will need to use to solve this problem. As you mentioned, harmonic functions fulfill the equation u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0. Additionally, we can use Poisson's Integral Formula to find u(z) in terms of its boundary values. This formula tells us that u(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{1-|z|^2}{|e^{i\theta}-z|^2}u(e^{i\theta}) d\theta.

Now, let's focus on finding v(1/2). We know that v is a harmonic conjugate of u, so we can use the line integral formula v(z) = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^z u_x(w) - iu_y(w) dw. Using this formula, we can write v(1/2) as v(1/2) = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^{1/2} u_x(w) - iu_y(w) dw.

To simplify this integral, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that u_x = v_y and u_y = -v_x. Substituting these into our integral, we get v(1/2) = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^{1/2} v_y(w) + iv_x(w) dw.

Now, we can use the fact that v(0) = 1 to simplify this integral even further. Since v is harmonic, we can use Poisson's Integral Formula for v as well, which gives us v(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{1-|z|^2}{|e^{i\theta}-z|^2}v(e^{i\theta}) d\theta. Substituting this into our integral, we get v(1/2) = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^{1/2} v_y(w) + iv_x(w) dw = \operatorname{Im} \int_0 ^{1/2} \frac{1-|w|^2}{

Related to Harmonic Function Values (Complex Analysis)

1. What are harmonic function values in complex analysis?

Harmonic function values in complex analysis refer to the values of a function defined on a complex domain whose real and imaginary parts satisfy the Laplace equation. This means that the function's second-order partial derivatives with respect to both the real and imaginary variables are equal to zero.

2. How are harmonic function values related to analytic functions?

Harmonic function values and analytic functions are closely related in complex analysis. In fact, every analytic function on a simply connected domain can be expressed as the sum of a harmonic function and a conjugate harmonic function. This is known as the decomposition theorem.

3. Can harmonic function values be used to solve physical problems?

Yes, harmonic function values have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to model various physical phenomena such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat distribution. In these applications, harmonic functions represent the steady state solutions to differential equations.

4. How are harmonic function values computed?

Harmonic function values can be computed using various techniques such as solving the Laplace equation, using analytic continuation, or finding the real and imaginary parts of an analytic function. In some cases, numerical methods such as finite differences or finite element methods may also be used.

5. What are some properties of harmonic function values?

There are several important properties of harmonic function values, including the mean value property, the maximum principle, and the Poisson integral formula. These properties allow us to make statements about the behavior of harmonic functions, such as the fact that they have no local maxima or minima, and that they attain their maximum and minimum values on the boundary of their domain.