Hard integration by parts question,

In summary, the conversation was about solving the integral of 1/(t^2-9) from 4 to 6, with the suggested approach of using partial fractions. However, the individual did not follow this approach and instead multiplied the numerator and denominator by the square root of 9. This led to incorrect calculations and confusion when distributing the square root. The correct answer is ln(6+3*square root 3)/(3+square root 7).
limelightdevo

Homework Statement

Integral, from 4 to 6, 1/(t^2-9) dt

Homework Equations

please use my approach to solve it, like with cosh and whatnot

The Attempt at a Solution

so I multiplied the top and bottom by square root of 9.
which got me square root of (t/3)^2 - 1 in the denominator.
so I got integrated that into arccosh (t/3) - arccosh (t/3) from 4 to 6
after some solving, it came down to square root of 9 times ((ln(2)+squareroot3))-(ln(4/3)+squareroo… And that is where I got stuck. If I distribute in the square root 9,it should be (3 ln(2) + square root 3) - (3 ln (4/3) + square root (7/9)), which results in (ln 8 + 3*square root 3) - (ln (4/3)^3 + 3*square root (7)). But when I distribute the square root 9 in and when it multiplies with ln(2), for example, it should be ln 2^3 and not ln 2*3 based on the multiplication rule of natural log. But by doing the wrong way, it perfectly leads to the answer, which is ln(6+3*square root 3)/(3+square root 7)

Please help

Thankssss

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused as to the approach you're taking. If you split that given fraction to get partial fractions, you can integrate each term easily, for which will you get log functions, substitute the values and then you're done.

[itex]t^2-9=(t-3)(t+3)[/itex]. Partial fractions, and you're done.

Last edited:
limelightdevo said:
$$\int_4^6 \frac{1}{t^2-9}\,dt$$
so I multiplied the top and bottom by square root of 9.
Also known as 3.
which got me square root of (t/3)^2 - 1 in the denominator.
What you've said so far doesn't make sense. This is what you said you did:
$$\int_4^6 \frac{1}{t^2-9}\,dt = \int_4^6 \frac{3}{3(t^2-9)}\,dt \ne \int_4^6 \frac{1}{\sqrt{(t/3)^2-1}}\,dt$$ The rest of what you did follows from this mistake, so it's all wrong. What I think you meant was that you factored 9 out of the denominator:
$$\int_4^6 \frac{1}{t^2-9}\,dt = \int_4^6 \frac{1}{9[(t/3)^2-1]}\,dt$$ Still, the square root wouldn't appear out of nowhere. Or perhaps you mistyped the original problem here, and what you did was
$$\int_4^6 \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2-9}}\,dt = \int_4^6 \frac{1}{\sqrt{9[(t/3)^2-1]}}\,dt = \int_4^6 \frac{1}{3\sqrt{(t/3)^2-1}}\,dt$$ because that would be okay so far.
so I got integrated that into arccosh (t/3) - arccosh (t/3) from 4 to 6
after some solving, it came down to square root of 9 times ((ln(2)+squareroot3))-(ln(4/3)+squareroo… And that is where I got stuck. If I distribute in the square root 9,it should be (3 ln(2) + square root 3) - (3 ln (4/3) + square root (7/9)), which results in (ln 8 + 3*square root 3) - (ln (4/3)^3 + 3*square root (7)). But when I distribute the square root 9 in and when it multiplies with ln(2), for example, it should be ln 2^3 and not ln 2*3 based on the multiplication rule of natural log. But by doing the wrong way, it perfectly leads to the answer, which is ln(6+3*square root 3)/(3+square root 7)

Please help

Think you forgot to put a square root in your question, or you wouldn't have got the answer you got. I used a sec substitution and got ##\displaystyle\ln\left(\frac{6+3\sqrt{3}}{4+\sqrt{7}}\right)##, which is slightly different to your answer.

Last edited:

Related to Hard integration by parts question,

1. What is the concept of integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into smaller, simpler integrals and using the product rule to solve them.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

You can use integration by parts when the integral you are trying to solve contains a product of two functions, and the integral cannot be solved using other common integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being multiplied together and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is also known as the "LIATE" rule, where L stands for logarithmic, I for inverse trigonometric, A for algebraic, T for trigonometric, and E for exponential functions.

4. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. In this case, the limits of integration must also be applied to the final solution after using the integration by parts formula.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult integration by parts problems?

One tip for solving difficult integration by parts problems is to choose u and du wisely. In general, it is best to choose u as the function that will become simpler after differentiating, and du as the differential of u. Additionally, it may be helpful to use integration by parts multiple times or combine it with other integration techniques to solve particularly challenging integrals.