Hard? implicit differentiation

In summary, to find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of x and y, we use the property rule, chain rule, and quotient rule. After simplifying the given equation, we can use implicit differentiation to find the first and second derivatives. The final answer is -\frac{2y^2+ 8xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2}{2x^2y}.
rook_b

Homework Statement

Find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of x and y.
[tex]x^2y^2-2x=3[/tex]

Homework Equations

property rule, chain rule, quotient rule,

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this the long way, but there must be a shorter solution. Can I simplify it? I've found [tex]dy/dx=(-xy^2 +2x)/(2x^2y)[/tex]. but the derivative of that takes a ridiculous amount of steps. If there isn't a shorter way then I'll just take my time.

Physics news on Phys.org
this is how i would simplify

[tex](xy)^{2}-2x=3[/tex]

there aren't that many steps, it only took me 3 steps, maybe you're doing something wrong, if you want show your steps and i'll be happy to help further.

OK thanks, that simplification made the first derivative easier and pointed out to me that my original calculation had a mistake. My math skills have quite a few holes. So now I have [tex]dy/dx= (-xy^2+1)/(x^2y)[/tex] so is there another simplification I'm overlooking? If I differentiate that it's still a bit messy and I'm learning there is always an easier way... well sometimes.

Your answer for dy/dx in post #3 is correct. I'm not sure how you want to simplify this. You could write [tex]\frac{1-xy^2}{x^2y}=\frac{1}{x^2y}-\frac{y}{x}[/tex] but I'm not sure that this is simpler to differentiate.

I'm wondering what "long way" you used. Straight forward implicit differentiation does seem that long to me!

[tex]x^2y^2- 2x= 3[/tex]
Differentiating once:
[tex]2xy^2+ 2x^2yy'- 2= 0[/tex]
Differenitiating again:
[tex]2y^2+ 4xyy'+ 4xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2+ 2x^2yy"= 0[/tex]
[tex]-2x^2yy"= 2y^2+ 8xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2[/tex]
Now divide by [itex]-2x^2y[/itex] to get
[tex]-\frac{2y^2+ 8xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2}{2x^2y}[/tex]

Since the derivative will necessarily have "y" in it, I would see no reason to write y' as a function of x which I think is the "hard" part of what you did.

Related to Hard? implicit differentiation

1. What is hard/implicit differentiation?

Hard/implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not easily expressed in terms of one variable. It involves differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to a specific variable, and then solving for the derivative using algebraic techniques.

2. When is hard/implicit differentiation used?

Hard/implicit differentiation is typically used when a function cannot be easily differentiated using traditional methods such as the power rule or product rule. It is also used when solving optimization problems or finding the slope of a tangent line on a curve that cannot be expressed in explicit form.

3. How is hard/implicit differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is expressed in terms of one variable. Hard/implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for functions that involve multiple variables or are not easily expressed in terms of one variable.

4. What are the steps for performing hard/implicit differentiation?

The steps for hard/implicit differentiation are as follows: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants. 2) Use algebraic techniques to solve for the derivative. 3) Simplify the derivative as much as possible. 4) If necessary, substitute back in the original variables to find the final derivative.

5. Can hard/implicit differentiation be used for all functions?

No, hard/implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that can be expressed in the form of an equation. It cannot be used for functions that are purely numerical or involve non-mathematical concepts.