Hard hyperbolic tan integral :/

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of tanh in terms of t using Maple. A potential solution is given, but there are concerns about its correctness and relevance to relativity. It is suggested to ask Maple for a definite integral and substitute known constants before integrating.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

tanh{[(2 *g*t)/(c)]+[(2*g*exp(-rt))/(r*c)]-[(2*)/(r*c)]} in terms of t

Homework Equations

when I plug into maple I get -(1/4)*c*ln(tanh(2*g*(t+1/r(e^(-rt))-1/r)/c)-1)/g-(1/4)*c*ln(tanh(2*g*(t+1/r(e^(-rt))-1/r)/c)+1)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

This cannot be right.. I always thought the integral of tanh was log(cosh)? Plus when I enter all the constants and evaluate at the bounds (g=9.8, r=1/94670777.9, t=3.156*10^8, c=3*10^8) I get an answer of [(ln(0)+ln(2))-(ln(-1)+ln1)] Which is an impossible answer, even if I omit the undefined ones, I still get an answer that should not be related to relativity..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the maple file I used

Attachments

• tanh.mw
    23.3 KB · Views: 414
is this integral even integrateable?

Something looks wrong with what you've written: see

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...1/r(Exp[-rt])-1/r)/c]+1]/g,t]&incParTime=true

*insert lecture on symbolic manipulation, branch cuts, indefinite, define, and improper integrals*

In the end, it's probably simpler to ask maple to compute a definite integral instead of an indefinite integral -- and maybe even to substitute in the known constants before integrating.

Related to Hard hyperbolic tan integral :/

1. What is the hard hyperbolic tan integral?

The hard hyperbolic tan integral is a mathematical function that involves the integration of the hyperbolic tangent function. It is often denoted as In and is defined as the integral from 0 to 1 of tanhn(x) dx, where n is a positive integer.

2. What is the purpose of the hard hyperbolic tan integral?

The hard hyperbolic tan integral has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in calculating areas under hyperbolic curves, finding the volume of hyperbolic solids, and solving differential equations involving hyperbolic functions.

3. How is the hard hyperbolic tan integral evaluated?

The hard hyperbolic tan integral can be evaluated using various techniques, such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It can also be approximated using numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

4. What are the properties of the hard hyperbolic tan integral?

The hard hyperbolic tan integral has several properties, including symmetry, recurrence relations, and differentiation rules. It also has specific values for In when n is equal to 1, 2, or 3. Additionally, it has connections to other mathematical functions, such as the beta function and the gamma function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the hard hyperbolic tan integral?

Yes, the hard hyperbolic tan integral has several real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in the analysis of physical systems, such as electric circuits, and in the calculation of quantities, such as magnetic flux and electric charge distribution. It also has applications in signal processing and control systems.