Happy PI Day 2009: Celebrate Math & Science Geeks!

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary: He Who Has The Most Pi Day Celebrations Has The Most Power?In summary, Americans have the most Pi Day celebrations.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hoo-Ray, to all us math-science geeks!

It's PI day...3-14!

Um, well, maybe only for those of us who use mm-dd format :-p ...

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:

It's PI day...3-14!

To be more precise the engineering geeks have to wait another 6 years then.

(... or 7 with rounding?)

http://math.hope.edu/newsletter/2006-07/ein-pie.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Its now 3/14 at 1:59 EST

In another 24 minutes (according to my watch) it will be pi time on pi day. I'm awake and re-starting the wood stove, so I may or may not be around for that.

According to my watch, it's pi time on pi day. Pie for everyone!

Edit: Durn! Should have written the post first and waited for the time to update! Well, there's always next year to indulge in the senseless...

Happy pi day to all of you!

I own this pi shirt... unfortunately, can't wear it to work today.

pi.jpg

PI day is 31. of april, not 14. of March..

lisab said:

It's PI day...3-14!

Hmm... I use yyyy-mm-dd format. No rush for me.

arildno said:
PI day is 31. of april, not 14. of March..

Aww, you're saying there is no pi day at all?

[tex](\pi^{ i e})! \approx -0.9 + 33.4 i [/tex]

http://www.piday.org/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10194354-38.html?tag=nl.e703

from
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HE00224:@@@L&summ2=m&
H.RES.224
Title: Supporting the designation of Pi Day, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Gordon, Bart [TN-6] (introduced 3/9/2009) Cosponsors (15)
Latest Major Action: 3/12/2009 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 391 - 10 (Roll no. 124).
Jump to: Summary, Major Actions, All Actions, Titles, Cosponsors, Committees, Related Bill Details, Amendments
SUMMARY AS OF:
3/9/2009--Introduced.

Supports the designation of a Pi Day and its celebration around the world.

Recognizes the continuing importance of National Science Foundation math and science education programs.

Encourages schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics.
MAJOR ACTIONS:

3/9/2009 Introduced in House
3/12/2009 Passed/agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 391 - 10 (Roll no. 124).

I was alerted to this by
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/14/1323245

lisab said:

An English friend of mine told me that the real Pi Day isn't for 5 more years. I was puzzled at first, but then realized that she is confused because she doesn't use the correct AMERICAN format. Silly bird.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Tom Mattson said:
An English friend of mine told me that the real Pi Day isn't for 5 more years. I was puzzled at first, but then realized that she is confused because she doesn't use the correct AMERICAN format. Silly bird.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I think the American format is silly, just as many other American things (which I won't list). :-p

But the American way of doing things is correct by definition! :biggrin:

There's the right way, the wrong way and the American way.

Isn't that just the wrong way?

Yes, but faster! :biggrin:

If only Simpsons was not made in the USA...

Of course 3/14 is pi day, and 3/14 at 1:59 is pi minute. However, given that pi is trancendental, is there an exact pi moment?

flatmaster said:
Of course 3/14 is pi day, and 3/14 at 1:59 is pi minute. However, given that pi is trancendental, is there an exact pi moment?

Unfortunately I think it falls between Planck moments.

I think you can only know it passed. But that doesn't give you much time to celebrate.

Jack21222 said:
Aww, you're saying there is no pi day at all?
Yup.
Sorry if I disillusioned someone to the point of despair. :smile:

Tom Mattson said:
But the American way of doing things is correct by definition! :biggrin:

Is it the Golden Rule [ He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules ]?

anyone make birthday cake for pi?

(ah... i couldn't resist... I'm very disappointed in myself.)

Related to Happy PI Day 2009: Celebrate Math & Science Geeks!

1. What is PI Day and why is it celebrated?

PI Day is an annual celebration observed on March 14th (3/14) to honor the mathematical constant PI (π). This date was chosen because the numerical equivalent of PI is 3.14, which represents the first three digits of the number. PI Day is celebrated by math and science enthusiasts as a way to promote and appreciate the importance of mathematics and its applications in our daily lives.

2. How is PI calculated and why is it important?

PI is calculated by dividing the circumference of a circle by its diameter. The value of PI is approximately 3.14159, but it is an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point. PI is important because it is a fundamental constant used in many mathematical equations and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and technology.

3. Are there any interesting facts about PI?

Yes, there are many interesting facts about PI! For example, in 2009, physicist Larry Shaw organized a PI Day celebration at the San Francisco Exploratorium where he calculated PI to over a trillion digits using a supercomputer. Also, PI has been studied and approximated by mathematicians for thousands of years, with the earliest known calculation dating back to ancient Babylonian times.

4. How can I celebrate PI Day?

There are many ways to celebrate PI Day, such as organizing a math-themed party, baking a pie (since PI sounds like "pie"), or participating in math-related activities and competitions. You can also use this day as an opportunity to learn more about the history and significance of PI, or to simply appreciate the beauty and complexity of mathematics.

5. Is PI used in real-world applications?

Yes, PI is used in a wide range of real-world applications, from engineering and architecture to astronomy and physics. For example, PI is used in calculating the volume and surface area of cylinders, cones, and spheres, and it is also used in navigation systems such as GPS. Without PI, many modern technologies and advancements would not be possible.