Hapgood’s Crustal Slip Hypothesis

In summary, Hapgood's Crustal Slip Hypothesis proposes that the Earth's crust is able to shift and move due to the presence of a lubricating layer between the crust and the mantle. This movement is believed to be responsible for the occurrence of major geological events, such as earthquakes and the shifting of continents. Hapgood's theory has been met with both support and criticism, but it continues to be studied and debated by scientists in order to gain a better understanding of the Earth's dynamic processes.
Duckbill
How did you find PF?
Searching for above topic
Possible Evidence Contrary to Hapgood’s Crustal Shift Hypothesis
While keeping an open mind, I am sceptical about Hapgood’s theory for the following reason:- On the Australian continent there exists the longest “unbroken” chain of volcanoes in the world which is due to the passage of the Australian tectonic plate over a mantle plume.
This chain began (on the Australian continent) some 50-60 Myr ago! https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...ic-chain-in-australia/6769360?topic=latesttag
Since the mantle plume is beneath and separate from the crust, surely the crust has been stable (allowing for accepted movement of plates) for up to 60 Myr?
Donald N Barry, PhD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

The New Member Introductions thread is just meant to say hello and present yourself if you wish to do so. Have a look at our technical forums for technical debates. Unfortunately I'm afraid Hapgood's theory does not match our rules. We restrict ourselves to mainstream sciences as we think they are already hard enough to understand, even without theories which never made it into serious considerations as Hapgood's. I think that we can nowadays say with a pretty good likelihood that Wegener was right and everything afterwards only deepened and detailed his theory.

If you want to discuss it anyway, please see if you can find a peer reviewed publication as basis for a debate in our Earth forum.

Stay curious and have fun!

Likes berkeman