Hanging rope calc of variations

• Thread starter pimpalicous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given by a professor regarding finding the shape of a curve for a rope attached to two fixed points that minimizes potential energy. The equations and attempt at a solution are also mentioned, with the person eventually figuring out the solution.
pimpalicous

Homework Statement

My professor told me about this problem and I wanted to do it to practice for the test.

A rope attached to two fixed points A and B will take the shape that minimizes the potential energy. Find the shape of the curve.

Homework Equations

mgy

df/dy-d/dx(df/dy')=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The rope is an extended object and every point is at a different height. I started by considering the potential energy at one such point as dM*g*Y(x) where dM=row dx.

I was going to intergrate with

U=row*g[tex]\int y(x)*dx[/tex]
then treat y(x) as my functional.

Am I on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I got it.

Related to Hanging rope calc of variations

What is the "Hanging rope calc of variations"?

The hanging rope calc of variations is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shape of a hanging rope that minimizes its potential energy. It is a type of optimization problem in the field of calculus of variations.

What are the applications of the hanging rope calc of variations?

The hanging rope calc of variations has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It can be used to determine the optimal shape of a cable or suspension bridge, the trajectory of a swinging pendulum, or the shape of a soap film between two wires.

What are the main steps involved in solving the hanging rope calc of variations?

The main steps in solving the hanging rope calc of variations are setting up the problem, applying the Euler-Lagrange equation, solving the differential equation, and applying boundary conditions. The final solution is the shape of the hanging rope that minimizes its potential energy.

What are the assumptions made in the hanging rope calc of variations?

The hanging rope calc of variations assumes that the rope is massless, flexible, and inextensible. It also assumes that the force of gravity is constant and the rope is hanging under its own weight without any external forces acting on it.

What are some challenges in solving the hanging rope calc of variations?

One of the main challenges in solving the hanging rope calc of variations is setting up the problem correctly. It can also be difficult to find an analytical solution for more complex shapes and boundary conditions. In such cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.