Hanging Cable (Projectile Motion?)

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the length of a perfectly flexible cable hanging over the edge of a table after a certain time, neglecting friction. The solution involved taking into account the weight and acceleration of the cable, with the final answer being x = x_0 cosh (\sqrt\frac{g}{L} t). The use of mass M=d*L was also explained in relation to the force on the cable.
TopCat
(Solved) Hanging Cable (Projectile Motion?)

Homework Statement

A perfectly flexible cable has length L. Initially, the cable is at rest, with a length [tex]x_0[/tex] of it hanging vertically over the edge of a table. Neglecting friction, compute the length hanging over the edge after a time t. Assume that the sections of the cable remain straight during the motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I could take a reference point, that being the very tip of the cable hanging over the edge. Since friction is neglected the only force on the cable is gravity. If I take the table edge to be x=0 then the position of the tip of the cable over the edge will also give the length of cable behind it hanging. So then it should simply be [tex]x = x_0 + \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex] but the book lists the answer as [tex]x = x_0 cosh (\sqrt\frac{g}{L} t)[/tex]. I have no idea where to even start. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the linear density, that is, mass per unit length is d. The weight of the hanging portion is dxg, which is moving the whole mass of the chain. The accn of the whole chain is the same at time t. So,

dxg = Md^x/dt^2. Now, solve.

Outstanding! Thanks for the help. I've gotten the solution though I have one last question.

When describing the force on the portion of cable on the table why is the mass M used d*L and not d*(L - x)?

I've never taken into account the force on the mass on the table separately, because the whole mass, the mass on the table and the hanging portion both, is moved with the same accn by the weight of the hanging portion only.

So, where you have to write mass*accn, it's the whole mass M=d*L.

Okay, thank you very much. It all makes sense now.

Related to Hanging Cable (Projectile Motion?)

1. What is hanging cable and how does it relate to projectile motion?

Hanging cable refers to a cable that is suspended between two points and is subject to the forces of gravity. This type of motion is often studied in physics and can be described as projectile motion because the cable forms a parabolic shape as it hangs.

2. How is the motion of a hanging cable affected by its length and weight?

The motion of a hanging cable is affected by both its length and weight. As the length of the cable increases, the gravitational force acting on it also increases, resulting in a steeper parabolic shape. Similarly, a heavier cable will experience a stronger gravitational force, causing it to sag more than a lighter cable.

3. What factors affect the tension in a hanging cable?

The tension in a hanging cable is affected by several factors, including the weight of the cable, the distance between the two points of suspension, and the angle at which the cable is suspended. The tension in the cable is highest at the points of suspension and decreases as it reaches the middle.

4. How does the angle of suspension impact the motion of a hanging cable?

The angle of suspension plays a crucial role in the motion of a hanging cable. A smaller angle will result in a longer cable and a steeper parabolic shape, while a larger angle will result in a shorter cable and a flatter parabolic shape.

5. What real-life applications can be found for projectile motion and hanging cables?

The study of projectile motion and hanging cables has several real-life applications, including the construction of suspension bridges, the design of roller coasters, and the trajectory of projectiles such as missiles and sports balls. It is also used in industries such as construction and engineering to determine the tension and stability of cables used in buildings and structures.