Haloes or rings round the moon?

• Thread starter Anithadhruvbud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Rings
In summary, rings can sometimes be observed around the moon or sun when they are viewed through a thin layer of high clouds. This is due to the reflection of light from fine icy crystals present in the clouds, resulting in the formation of rings. This phenomenon is similar to the formation of rainbows, which are also caused by the reflection and dispersion of light through raindrops. The shape and size of the rings vary depending on the shape and position of the ice crystals in the clouds. The shape of rainbows is due to the internal reflection of light within raindrops, and the angle at which they are viewed by the observer. The shape of the raindrops is important in determining the shape of the rainbow.
Anithadhruvbud
Why sometimes rings are observed round the moon or sun?
My book says
When the moon or sun is observed through a thin layer of high clouds,reflection of light from fine icy crystals,present in the clouds,results in the formation of rings.
Can someone please elaborate on that so that I can understand easily by using an example or by other means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
Yes we can - but there are many other resources describing this phenomenon, for instance:
http://Earth'sky.org/space/what-makes-a-halo-around-the-moon
... if you will describe how you are having trouble with this stuff, then maybe we can help you out.
Cheers;
Well my trouble in understanding is that how can the reflection of light by the clouds be the reason for formation of haloes?

Simon Bridge said:
It's the same way that rainbows are bow-shaped.
And why are rainbows bow shaped?

Try looking it up - you'll find that easier to understand because the process is simpler.
Rain comes in spherical droplets - which is why you get the rainbow in that particular shape, and why you have to have your back to the Sun to see one.
Ice crystals come in a range of shapes so the haloes vary in shape and size and position.

Simon Bridge said:
Try looking it up - you'll find that easier to understand because the process is simpler.
Rain comes in spherical droplets - which is why you get the rainbow in that particular shape, and why you have to have your back to the Sun to see one.
Ice crystals come in a range of shapes so the haloes vary in shape and size and position.
Well,I do know it is because of the phenomenon of dispersion that rainbow formation occurs.But I have never thought about how rainbows could be bow shaped.I can't find a logical reason behind why rainbows have to be similar in the shape of droplets.I thought droplets helped in acting like prisms!
And here how does the ring formed due to refraction of light be compared to rainbow formation?

Anithadhruvbud said:
Well,I do know it is because of the phenomenon of dispersion that rainbow formation occurs.But I have never thought about how rainbows could be bow shaped.I can't find a logical reason behind why rainbows have to be similar in the shape of droplets.I thought droplets helped in acting like prisms!
And here how does the ring formed due to refraction of light be compared to rainbow formation?
You need to separate two principles. The separation of colours in a rainbow is indeed due to dispersion, but even if the light from the sun were all one wavelength there would still be monochromatic rainbows. The bow itself is due to internal reflection.
For a ray of light from the sun to be reflected inside a raindrop to reach your eye, your eye and the sun must subtend a particular angle at the raindrop. What is the locus of the raindrops at that angle?

Related to Haloes or rings round the moon?

What causes haloes or rings around the moon?

Haloes or rings around the moon are caused by the refraction and reflection of light through ice crystals in the Earth's atmosphere. These ice crystals are typically found in high, thin clouds.

Why do haloes or rings around the moon only appear at certain times?

Haloes or rings around the moon only appear at certain times because the conditions need to be just right for the refraction and reflection of light through ice crystals to occur. This is why they are more commonly seen in winter months when there are more ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Are haloes or rings around the moon a rare occurrence?

Haloes or rings around the moon are not necessarily a rare occurrence, but they are often overlooked or mistaken for regular clouds. They are more commonly seen in certain regions where there are more ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Do haloes or rings around the moon have any significance or meaning?

Haloes or rings around the moon have been linked to superstitions and omens in some cultures, but from a scientific standpoint, they hold no significant meaning. They are simply a result of light being refracted and reflected through ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Can haloes or rings around the moon be predicted?

Haloes or rings around the moon cannot be predicted with complete accuracy, as they depend on the presence and arrangement of ice crystals in the atmosphere. However, weather conditions and atmospheric conditions can give an indication of when haloes or rings around the moon may be more likely to occur.