Centripetal force and Acceleration

In summary, centrifuges can be used to simulate the sensation of being in a centrifuge, and can be used to practice G-forces.
Integral0
This is a weird question but live with me please.

I was completing a math competition (www.comap.com)with my team today and when we finished I started wondering about that "room" airforce pilots and NASA astronauts go into. I can't remember the name of the "room" but it is where they get strapped into a seat attached to a large metallic "arm" and it spins the around in a circle (in order to test how astronauts/pilots react to G forces). So anyways, I was sitting on a chair that could spin on its axis very well (i.e. a long time without stopping due to friction (lack of force giving constant velocity)) and I decided to start spinning very fast and then to close my eyes to feel "inside" the centripetal force clinging me to the chair (excuse me if I am using words wrong, I haven't really taken Physics yet). Basically, I wanted to feel what the pilots go through in that "chamber"/"room". The first time around for like 3 mins I was fine. The second time I tried . . . I DEFINITELY FELT SICK.

I am wondering how people endure the effect of being spun around in circles at very high speeds and also I am wondering how can you spin without becoming sick.

Thx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's called a centrifuge.

Spinning on a chair won't give you the same sensation. It is the distance from the axis of rotation which gives the 'g' force effect.

Most amusement parks have a centrifuge. Try it sometime.

I'd think that what your felt like 3 minutes was more like 30 seconds. To spin seriously around on chair could be asking for a mighty vomit. I believe I've read its quite harmful to untrained person, more than getting G's in real centrifuge.

Sickness is due to liquid in inner ear that is responsible for our up/down perception gets spit around and affects nerves in inconsistent manner. I believe its same kind of sickness as seasickness. With longarm centrifuges, you don't spin around your axis, so all that liquid is at same end of your brain, thus there is no sickness. Then come Gs.

while in a centrefuge i believe the circle is not great enough to become a significant sickness worry. Like you psin on the Earth but don't get sick :) o(only obviously on a much smaller scale). And besides if your traveling at 5-6G, you aint ognna have enough force to project anything :P

i think, as other people said, it's different, but also (to digress a little) some people are more likely to feel sick when they spin around, and i think you can sort of practice it too. I'm in figure skating, and i don't think i get as dizzy and disoriented as i used to when i spin around:smile:

Related to Centripetal force and Acceleration

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that acts on an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object in a circular motion, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia.

3. How is centripetal force related to acceleration?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the acceleration of the object. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the acceleration of the object. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion.

4. Can centripetal force change the speed of an object?

No, centripetal force cannot change the speed of an object. It only changes the direction of the object's velocity, keeping it moving in a circular path. The speed of the object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. What are some real-world examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the swinging of a ball on a string. Any object moving in a circular path experiences centripetal force.