Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil

In summary: Halbach ArrayIn summary, the Halbach Array is a device used in Maglev trains that uses a special arrangement of magnets to lift 50 times its own weight. The coil configuration for this device is difficult to find information on, but may require copper magnets.
Robin07
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I'm not a physicist. I'm a Cabinet Maker looking for a career change.

I performed an advanced search on the entire site and was surprised to find not a mention in regards to Halbach Array. My understanding is that the special arrangement of nib magnets can lift 50 times its own weight. This arrangement is used in a fairly new application, amongst others, called "Maglev". The arrangement of the magnets are pretty straight forward. The specs or the means to figure out the closed loop coils used to facilitate the Lorenz force is very difficult to find. There must be a formula or means to measure the strength of a given magnet and from there calculate how to maximize the coil configuration so that the Lorenz force is at its peek. In the Maglev train application a linear motor is used to propel the train but in my application I will only need gravity much like an Olympic bob sled does.

Can any of you help me find the information I'm searching for or the means to be able to figure this out?

Thanks
Robin07

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Halbach Array

Try searching for Halbach array (after Klaus Halbach). You'll find some discussion here and plenty more with Google.

And welcome to PF!

I second the Welcome to PF. Without even going to Doc's link, though, I think that I see a problem. If your design relies solely upon gravity, you can only run the thing downhill. There can be some coasting to some point up the next hill, but you can never exceed the height at which you start.

Like I mentioned, its the coil configuration that I'm having trouble finding any information on. I understand that aluminum is an option but copper would be the best material to use. The Halbach array induces a current which in turn creates an apposing magnetic field. The levitation only occurs when your sled is moving in excess of 2.5 km/hr. I've searched the web(Google) and read of the inductrack info extensively to find very little mentioned in regards to the coil setup.

Robin07

Related to Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil

What is a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil?

A Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil is a type of coil configuration used in electromagnetic induction systems. It consists of multiple parallel loops of wire connected in a closed loop, with the ends of the loop connected to a power source. This design allows for a more efficient transfer of energy compared to traditional single-loop coils.

How does a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil work?

The Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil works by generating a changing magnetic field through the loops of wire. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the coil, which can then be used to power devices or perform other tasks. The closed loop design allows for the magnetic field to be concentrated and amplified, resulting in a more powerful and efficient system.

What are the advantages of using a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil?

One of the main advantages of using a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil is its high efficiency. The closed loop design allows for a more concentrated and amplified magnetic field, resulting in a more efficient transfer of energy. Additionally, the multiple loops in the coil allow for a larger surface area, which can increase the amount of energy that can be transferred.

What are some practical applications of a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil?

Hallback Array Closed Loop Coils have a wide range of practical applications, including wireless charging, induction cooking, and electric vehicles. They can also be used in electromagnetic induction systems for power transmission and distribution, as well as in scientific research and experiments.

Are there any limitations to using a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil?

One limitation of using a Hallback Array Closed Loop Coil is that it requires a power source to create the changing magnetic field. This means that it is not a self-sustaining system and will require a continuous supply of power. Additionally, the design and construction of the coil can be complex and may require specialized knowledge and equipment.