Half reaction/ ion electron method

In summary, the conversation discusses the doubts surrounding the ion electron method for balancing chemical equations in acidic mediums. The question arises about the role of added H+ and H2O molecules, and whether they are present in real-life reactions or simply used for simplification purposes. It is clarified that this method is suitable for reactions in water solutions, but may not work for anhydrous environments.
Cromptu
I have recently learned how to balance chemical equations using the ion electron method.
However, I have some doubts..
Suppose the reaction takes place in an acidic medium; now how can we say that we are allowed to add an H+ or H2O molecule?
I mean, where will these elements come from when these reactions take place in real life? from the environment or is this just a method of simplifying the equations and these added elements do not play a role when these reactions take place in real life?

Please help me out here..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If the reaction takes place in water assumption that here is plenty of water molecules (together with H+and OH-) around is usually correct, isn't it?

It won't work for reactions taking place in anhydrous environment, but most reactions you are going to balance will be taking place in water solutions.

Related to Half reaction/ ion electron method

1. What is a half reaction?

A half reaction is a chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between species. It is used to describe the oxidation and reduction processes that occur in redox reactions.

2. What is the ion electron method?

The ion electron method is a way of balancing redox reactions by separating the overall reaction into two half reactions and balancing the number of electrons transferred in each half reaction.

3. How do you determine which species is being oxidized and which is being reduced?

In a half reaction, the species that loses electrons is being oxidized, while the species that gains electrons is being reduced. This can also be determined by comparing the oxidation states of the species before and after the reaction.

4. What is the purpose of balancing half reactions?

Balancing half reactions is necessary to ensure that the overall redox reaction is balanced and follows the law of conservation of mass. It also allows for the calculation of the cell potential in electrochemical reactions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for balancing half reactions?

There are some common methods for balancing half reactions, such as using the half reaction method, the oxidation number method, and the half cell method. However, there is no universal shortcut or trick and the best method to use will depend on the specific reaction.