Half-Life Measurement of Water Based Foams

• Thread starter Telmerk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, Telmerk learned that foams are important in many aspects of daily life, and that half life in case of foams means the time elapsed until the half of the initial foam height is reached.
Telmerk
Hi!
I'd like to make some half-life measurements on water based foams. I have only simple instruments for it. Can anybody help me? I don't know the exact method that how to make this measurement correctly. And I also need the mathematical apparatus for it. Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
water base foams??

Half life measurement of foams

Yes, you know,water and some kind of detergent I mean.

thats going to be very tough. You could do it by measuring your total mass of the water, then measuring the total mass of water + foam, and then measuting the mass of both at intervals and that sould give you enough information to set up an algebraic function of half life. H(t) = 1/2(a)^(t/h) (a = initial amount) (t = time) (h = half life)

Do you have any reason to believe that foam has a "half-life"- that is, that the foam decreases exponentially?

There are awards given on the internet to people who spend their time scientifically studying inherently silly things (I forget the name of the award). However, somebody proved that beer foam obeys the exponential law of decay! Why you would spend time researching this for your thesis is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Hey, it sounds like a lot more fun than a lot of other topics! I can just imagine staggering across the stage to accept your degree!

Thanks for telling me that it IS exponential!

Telmerk: get a glass of beer (beer is, after all, "water based") and a ruler. Measure the height of the head above the beer. Record time and height. Wait a few minutes and measure again. Keep doing this until the foam has gone down to where you can't measure it.

The hard part: avoid drinking the beer until you are done!

Thank You for your help! I made my measurements exactly like HallsofIvy suggested me, but not with beer, only with water and some detergent. I achieved exponential decay, but with high uncertanity. It is because it 's difficult to measure the exact height of the foam. (It's top is highly inhomogeneous--> I had to wipe away the foam hillocks. . )

So if someone has an idea how to make more exact measures, please write it to me.

I think half life in case of foams means the time elapsed until the half of the initial foam height is reached and not the half mass.

Dear quarkman, it may seem to be a silly thing, but foams and foam structure appear almost every field of science: from cosmology trough food industry (beer:-)) to materials science.

Thank you guys again!
Cheers! :rolleyes:

Telmerk, I realize it is closed-minded of me to laugh at someone who learns just for the sake of knowing...I learn about "silly things" (depending on your perspecitve) all the time. I just find it amusing that someone received a graduate degree for researching beer...something which I feel should not be the foremost thought on a graduate student's mind. For instance, if I drink to much beer, I do REALLY stupid things and find it hard to read and understand things. I really love to read about science and learn new things, so I consider beer drinking bad in that respect. But you are right, foams are important in many aspects of daily life. I remember researching "piezoelectric polymer thin films (foams)" as an undergraduate student and when I came across the statement that wood was a foam, something I should have known as a physicist, I was really shocked. I mean it doesn't look like one even after you break it open! I guess I wish this beer foam guy had attached his findings to beer, soda, and other carbonated drinks. He may have, but then inaccurate reporting is to blame there... :rolleyes:

Related to Half-Life Measurement of Water Based Foams

1. What is the half-life measurement of water based foams?

The half-life measurement of water based foams refers to the time it takes for half of the foam's volume to dissipate or break down into smaller bubbles. This measurement can vary depending on the type of foam and the conditions it is exposed to.

2. Why is it important to measure the half-life of water based foams?

Measuring the half-life of water based foams is important for several reasons. It can provide insight into the stability and durability of the foam, as well as its potential uses and applications. It can also help determine the effectiveness of different foaming agents and additives.

3. How is the half-life of water based foams measured?

The half-life of water based foams is typically measured by observing and recording the foam's volume over time. A sample of the foam is placed in a controlled environment and its volume is measured at regular intervals until it reaches half of its original volume. This time is then recorded as the half-life measurement.

4. What factors can affect the half-life of water based foams?

The half-life of water based foams can be affected by various factors, including temperature, humidity, and the type and concentration of foaming agents and additives used. Other factors such as agitation, air flow, and surface tension can also play a role in the foam's stability and half-life.

5. How can the half-life of water based foams be optimized?

To optimize the half-life of water based foams, it is important to understand the factors that affect it and to carefully select and adjust these factors accordingly. This may involve experimenting with different types and concentrations of foaming agents and additives, as well as controlling the environmental conditions in which the foam is produced and used. Regular testing and monitoring can also help determine the most effective and stable foam formulation.