Half life and decay differential EQ problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the carbon dating of the Shroud of Turin, which is believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. Three independent laboratories determined that the shroud was approximately 660 years old, and using this age, it was possible to determine that approximately 92% of the original amount of C-14 remained in the cloth as of 1988.
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

The Shroud of Turin, which shows the negative image of the body of a man who appears to have been crucified, is believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. See the figure below. In 1988 the Vatican granted permission to have the shroud carbon-dated. Three independent scientific laboratories analyzed the cloth and concluded that the shroud was approximately 660 years old,† an age consistent with its historical appearance. Using this age, determine what percentage of the original amount of C-14 remained in the cloth as of 1988. (The half-life of C-14 is approximately 5730 years. Round your answer to the nearest percent.)

Homework Equations

P(t)=[P_o]e^(kt) where P(t) is the percentage and t is time in years.
[P_o] is the initial percentage of C-14.

The Attempt at a Solution

50=[P_o]e^(k5730)

I decided to take a the second half like which is P(11460)=25 (i don't know if that is do able)
25=[P_o]e^(k11460)

with the two equations I solved for [P_o] and set them equal to each other to solve for k. which is k= -(log(2))/5730.

when I plug it back in I get [P_o]=100 which I don't feel is right.

Also I don't know what to do with the 660 years given.
I tried the steps in this link: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121204161321AADp9op

and got 94% but it is still incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:

Homework Statement

The Shroud of Turin, which shows the negative image of the body of a man who appears to have been crucified, is believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. See the figure below. In 1988 the Vatican granted permission to have the shroud carbon-dated. Three independent scientific laboratories analyzed the cloth and concluded that the shroud was approximately 660 years old,† an age consistent with its historical appearance. Using this age, determine what percentage of the original amount of C-14 remained in the cloth as of 1988. (The half-life of C-14 is approximately 5730 years. Round your answer to the nearest percent.)

Homework Equations

P(t)=[P_o]e^(kt) where P(t) is the percentage and t is time in years.
[P_o] is the initial percentage of C-14.

The Attempt at a Solution

50=[P_o]e^(k5730)

I decided to take a the second half like which is P(11460)=25 (i don't know if that is do able)
25=[P_o]e^(k11460)

with the two equations I solved for [P_o] and set them equal to each other to solve for k. which is k= -(log(2))/5730.

when I plug it back in I get [P_o]=100 which I don't feel is right.

Also I don't know what to do with the 660 years given.
I tried the steps in this link: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121204161321AADp9op

and got 94% but it is still incorrect.

I don't understand what you are doing. The general decay equation is
##A(t) = A_0 e^{-kt}##, where ##A_0## is the initial amount of C14 present, ##A(t)## is the amount present at time ##t## (years) and ##k > 0## is the decay constant (in 1/yr). You need ##1/2 = e^{-k 5730}## (half of the initial amount), so you can get ##k##.

BTW: of course ##P_0 = 100## is right, because you are considering ##P(t)## to be the percentage of C14 present as compared with its amount at ##t = 0##; in other words, at ##t=0## the amount of C14 present is 100% of the amount of C14 present.

Likes 1 person
I see now, I had slightly the wrong equation. I used the one for population instead. I solved for k=ln(2)/5730

then did A(660)=e^(-ln(2)/5730*660) = .92 => 92%.

thanks alot!

Related to Half life and decay differential EQ problem

1. What is a half life?

A half life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or break down into a different substance. In scientific terms, it is the time it takes for the amount of a radioactive substance to decrease by half through radioactive decay.

2. How is half life related to decay differential equations?

Half life is closely related to decay differential equations because the rate of decay can be described using a differential equation. Specifically, the decay of a radioactive substance can be modeled using a first-order differential equation, where the rate of change of the amount of substance is proportional to its current amount.

3. Can you provide an example of a half life and decay differential equations problem?

Sure. Let's say we have a sample of a radioactive substance that has a half life of 10 days. Initially, the sample contains 100 mg of the substance. Using a decay differential equation, we can determine that after 10 days, the amount of substance remaining will be 50 mg. After another 10 days, it will be 25 mg, and so on.

4. How is half life used in radiometric dating?

Radiometric dating is a method used to determine the age of a material by measuring the amount of a radioactive substance it contains. Half life is used in this process because it allows scientists to accurately measure the amount of radioactive substance present and calculate how much time has passed since the material was formed.

5. Are there any limitations to using half life and decay differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using half life and decay differential equations. These equations assume that the decay rate of a substance remains constant over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, these equations do not take into account external factors that may affect the decay rate, such as temperature or pressure.