Half equation for S2O32-/S4O62- couple

• Thread starter kittassa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in writing the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- redox couple due to their same ionic value. Two potential solutions are presented, but the second one is determined to be incorrect due to unbalanced charges. The conversation concludes by suggesting to focus on stoichiometry and the use of electrons rather than water.
kittassa
I need to write the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- redox couple but I'm having trouble because they have the same ioic value.

I've come up wth two solutions but am happy with nether...

S2O32- + 3H2O + S2= S4O62- + 6H+ + 6e-

or

2S2O32- = S4O62- + 2e-

I know that the second one is wrong because the charges don't balance, but I'm not sure that the first is right either because we generally only add water, or electrons to the equations, so I'm not sure that I can add the S2.

am i just being obtuse or?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try ignoring any use of water. Just concentrate on the stoichiometry and the use of electron(s).

the charges DO balance in the second one.

2S2O32- = -4

S4O62- + 2e- = -4

Related to Half equation for S2O32-/S4O62- couple

1. What is the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- couple?

The half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- couple is S2O32- + 2H2O → 2SO42- + 4H+ + 2e-.

2. What is the purpose of writing half equations for redox reactions?

Writing half equations allows us to track the transfer of electrons during a redox reaction and determine the oxidation states of each element involved.

3. How is the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- couple balanced?

The half equation is balanced by ensuring that the number of atoms and charges are the same on both sides of the equation. In this case, the equation is balanced by adding 2H2O and 4H+ to the reactants side.

4. Why is the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- couple considered an oxidation reaction?

The half equation shows that S2O32- is losing two electrons to form SO42-, indicating that it is being oxidized. This reaction involves the loss of electrons, which is a characteristic of oxidation reactions.

5. How is the half equation for the S2O32-/S4O62- couple used in redox titrations?

The half equation is used to determine the concentration of a reducing agent by titrating it with an oxidizing agent. By measuring the amount of oxidizing agent needed to react with a known amount of reducing agent, the concentration of the reducing agent can be calculated using the balanced half equation.