Coupled PDEs - all 4 Maxwell's equations?

In summary, all 4 Maxwell's equations are first-order, coupled PDEs with unknown fields. While Faraday's and Ampere's laws are clearly coupled, it may be less obvious with Gauss' laws. However, when considering the constituent equations, the coupling becomes more apparent. All 4 equations can be expressed in terms of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the charge density.
VictorVictor5
Greetings all,

Quick question. I know that all 4 Maxwell's equations are said to be first-order, coupled PDEs, where each equation has an unknown field. I see that with Faraday's and Ampere's law, because, E and H appear in each of those equations.

But Gauss' laws, I'm not seeing that, since they're both equal to electric/magnetic charge densities (or 0 in the case of the magnetic law due to there not being magnetic monopoles).

So, are Gauss' laws coupled? And do they still have the unknown fields? Sorry I am not seeing this. I just need a quick "reality check" here.

Thanks!
VV5

Yes, all 4 Maxwell's equations are coupled. This may be hard to see since they are usually written with notation using 4 different fields, E, B, D and H, plus the current density J. The coupling become more apparent when considering the constituent equations:
1) D = epsilon * E
2) B = mu * H
3) J = sigma * E

Then all 4 Maxwell's equations can be written in terms of E, H, and the charge density, rho.

Related to Coupled PDEs - all 4 Maxwell's equations?

1. What are coupled PDEs?

Coupled PDEs, or coupled partial differential equations, refer to a system of equations in which multiple PDEs are linked together. This means that the variables and coefficients in one equation are dependent on the solutions of the other equations in the system.

2. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

3. How are Maxwell's equations related to coupled PDEs?

Maxwell's equations can be written as a system of coupled PDEs, with each equation representing a different physical phenomenon such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and charge distribution. These equations are linked by the properties of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other.

4. What are some applications of coupled PDEs and Maxwell's equations?

Coupled PDEs and Maxwell's equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as electromagnetics, optics, and fluid dynamics. They are used to model and understand phenomena such as light propagation, electromagnetic radiation, and fluid flow, among others.

5. How are coupled PDEs and Maxwell's equations solved?

There are various numerical and analytical methods for solving coupled PDEs and Maxwell's equations. These include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. Depending on the complexity of the system and the desired accuracy, different methods may be used to solve these equations.