Guidance needed about physics field and post-secondary education

In summary, it seems that it is highly advisable to take as many math modules as possible, as well as some of the field or laboratory based modules. It is also important to have a strong background in physics in order to be a good physicist.
snkk197
I'm to start at Aberdeen, UK, where I have 4 compulsory (basically mechanics, waves, optics +electronics, relativity and quantum mechanics) modules and 4 optional modules. This is basically the only time I can choose modules - the next two years are pretty much set.

Disappointingly, there are no physics options available, only maths, geology and philosophy. My question is, what would you recommend?

I have to choose at least one math module - Analysis, Sets & Algebraic Structures, Linear Algebra, or Advanced Calculus. Other universities include math modules throughout the course (indeed, the first year is usually dedicated to bringing everyone up to the same level so if you've done further math, you have a lot of repeat material, with no choice in the matter), so would it be advisable to take as many as possible? I'm keen on Advanced Calculus as it includes Maple which I've never used before. The other three, I feel like I've done most of in Further Maths already so I'm not sure if I want to do it again. I could always audit the lectures to fill in any small gaps or look at different methods I guess.

The Geology options include Laboratory and Field techniques, which sounds like quite a lot of fun, as does Palaeontology, while Sedimentology and Mineralogy are less so.

Philosophy modules include The History of Western Philosophy and the Philosophy of Science. I haven't done philosophy since I was 14 so I'm not sure how I'd find it. I can see essay writing and argumentative skills being quite useful.

It's just a bit unfortunate that I'm choosing modules now with no hope of taking them further. So which ones would be most useful. Is it worth repeating the further math or should I have a go at something different?

Right now I'm tempted to take Advanced Calculus, Laboratory and Field techniques, Paleontology (though I can't imagine what I'd ever use it for - I just like dinosaurs!) and Philosophy of Science. I have to speak to my adviser of studies to discuss my choices, but I wouldn't mind some advice before I go.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi all,

I wonder what some of you might know about this field. It seems to be quite interdisciplinary and also in its infancy. I wonder what some of you may think about the future of this field. I would be interested in approaching it from physics rather than math or comp. science.

Now I know some universities have institutes dedicated to this, like Waterloo and Stanford. Its a little hard to search for more 'assessable' schools that have research in this area though. Am I right in thinking many AMO groups do research in this area, or is this something that I could only do in a top school?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello, I am new to this forum and have generally used it as a wonderful system for guidance on homework problems or physics issues in general. The "So you want to be a physicist" article is extremely insightful, and there is a plethora of information on the career aspects of working as a physicist in any number of fields. The issues I would like to address are of a broader nature.

As far as the career aspect of physics goes, I am only marginally apprehensive, as I am sure anyone facing such a daunting set of potential ordeals is. I am currently a sophomore and I hope to study biophysics. My concern involves a physicists life outside of work. Is there one?

I am not sure exactly where this judgment comes from, but it seems as though many physicists miss out on living to devote themselves utterly to their work, spending so many years enveloped completely in study, only to graduate and face a work-load disproportionately larger than that of most other career fields.

I guess my question is, how accurate an assessment is this and how heavily does it affect those aspects of life that one should not, in our painfully short time on earth, miss out on?

I am an electronics and comms engineering with Masters in space systems and am currently working in spacecraft development for the LISA spacecraft in the Uk (am 26 now.)

I am a physics enthusiast as of now and am seriously thinking to pursue academic career in Physics (GR and Cosmology in particular). I started from slightly above (from Hamiltonian mechanics) the basics. I am only reading textbooks, practising couple of problems and listening to lectures. I am also afraid because I have been quite successful in my career.

I would ideally like to enrol to casm (Part III) to a couple of years, by when I hope (wish) to kid of go through pre-requisite subjects for Part III General Relativity. I have mailed couple of universities about my eligibility for a PhD, but they thought I have less knowledge of Maths, to deal with GR/Cosmo as of now and the professor from Oxford suggested doing experimental Physics PhD.

Ok... enough of background: basically I am fix. I am interested in theoretical Physics more. I don't exactly know what is experimental physics. Will they get a chance to know theoretical physics?

I have two questions:

1. Based on what you know about the people admitted CASM, is it likely for me to secure a place after another two years of self study - by then I will be 28!

2. Or Is it better, to do experimental physics focussing on gravitaional waves, CMB etc

I would greatly appreciate you valuable suggestions/advices.

Thanks.

Hello

I have just graduated as an Electrical Engineer in one of the universities in middle east.
Now Iam working in a local company.

my GPA is 3.44 and I have the following Background :

Physics : Physics A & B , Analog & Digital electronics , EM I & II
Math : Calculus A,B & C , ODE , Probabilities

I haven't taken the Physics GRE (PGRE) yet . But I Plan to first self-study some physics topics like mechanics , optics , quantum mechanics , relativity , statistical physics , solid-state , waves and vibration and atomic physics.

I will self-study these topics in a period of 1.5 years , not just to pass the PGRE , but for myself to really understand..So the study will bee serious although not a type of formal education.

The question
Suppose I got a good PGRE score - say 900 - then will any American or UK university admit me despite not being a physics major ??

@ Admins : sorry , but please move this thread to Academic Guidance .

Alright, so basically, we all probably agree that having a work/life balance is important, and is also one of the reasons why I'm thinking of switching from Law to Physics (well, it explains part - and only a part - of the reason why I want to go out of Law, but has in itself nothing to do with the going into Physics part, at least not yet).

So what I was wondering was if all of you board members could give me a quick glance at what your working hours usually are, where you work (industry, academia, government etc.) and whether your work is actually very physics intensive or is it one of those jobs where you got to use your "transferable" skills instead. The title of the topic can thus be seen as too narrow in regards to what I'm really asking, as what I want to know is basically how a "day in the life" of a physicist (I use this term in the broadest possible way) looks like. Also, don't be afraid to include your experience of other people in the field, not only yours', as I'm looking for any and all info.

I hope I'm not asking too much of you, but as you might be able to tell from the number of topics I've opened lately, it's a tough decision for me to make and would therefore like to make it on the basis of as much realistic info as possible, so as to not have my "fantasy" of how life of someone who has done Physics really looks like.

Last edited:
As of right now, my plan is get a bachelor's in ME and then probably try for a master's in aerospace engineering. I'd like to design spacecraft but I'm also very interested in physics, more specifically quantum physics and more theoretical physics. Is there a way I could incorporate my love of physics into my career either now or further down the road? If so, how would I go about doing it? If possible, I'd like to combine my two interests somehow. Preferably, I'd like to design advanced propulsion systems for spacecraft . I know that may sound more like fantasy than reality but it's what I want to do. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a degree in physics and would like to progress to the EE field . I have love faradays law and maxwells laws of electromagnetism. I am interested in their application so I am thinking of going for an Msc in Wireless communication. I am considering two uni.

Univeristy of greenwich and university of swansea

I need an advice on which to choose. Or are there better ones.I am tending towards more practical than theory.I don't stay in the UK so it is impossible to go there to check out the equipment .

Will i get additional classes to coverup for my not studying EE in the UK
But any help willl be appreciated

Thnxs

Hello all,

I am Vasudev.I am a final year B.Sc.(Kakatiya university,India) student with Maths,Physics & Electronics as my group.I am very much interested in Physics.I want to prepare for M.Sc. entrance examination for PHYSICS for Hyderabad Central University,NIT Warangal,and other local universities.

I really don't know how to start my preparation and I am in dilemma thinking where to start.Could anyone suggest me how to prepare for all the universities in a common way.

If the description is too long, very sorry.As this is my first forum ever joined.

regards,
Vasudev.

As an Infantrymen and a recent enlistee for the Army I've had a number of experiences that have been disconcerting towards my pursuits in TP (theoretical physics). Obviously my career and surroundings already disfavor me even as an advent student. Then not to mention my concentration on a subject which is an anomaly for most soldiers!

Previous interest were more philosophical (Leibniz, Spinoza, Badiou, Wittgenstein) than technical and I'm hoping to make a considerable transition into fields such as differential geometry, topology, algebraic geometry, quantum dynamics, kinetic theory, and string theory. Without previous experience in any of these fields I'm still certain that I can achieve the technicalities and notation required in these fields as long as I receive adequate guidance and supervision.

More than anything I'm disapproving of references made to works or authors that may suspend my questions unto further investigation. Overall I'm seeking advice on where I can receive corrective methods on my own research while maintaining my duty as an Infantrymen.

If any of you have or can provide questions or advice to which I can benefit from, then I encourage you to do so.

Please do help my fellow theorist!

Hi everyone, I'm a Computer Science undergraduate student from/at Mexico.

During my entire high school I considered myself very skilled at mathematics and physics alike so by the last year of high school I decided that I was going to study either Math, Physics or CompSci (since I also liked it a lot). I ended up studying CompSci mainly because of the bigger job availability and earnings (at least here in Mexico).

Now, with only one term before I graduate, I've been thinking I probably didn't choose correctly. For one, I don't really look forward to the kinds of jobs my program prepared me for. This is because here (not sure if just at my college or generally in Mexico, but from what I hear it's the latter) the CompSci program is designed to produce good programmers and that's pretty much it. As an example we never learned how to formally prove that a program is correct, or how to examine the complexity of an algorithm.

Also, I see myself more of an academic/researcher than a computer programmer to begin with (although this happened only until recently, otherwise I probably would've studied physics in the first place). I consider the development of science to be one and perhaps the most noble of all professions, since you get to broaden the potential of humankind, not to mention that I consider it one of the few embraceable ways to truly transcend one's death. But I digress.

I have considered to finish my current major and then either study physics and go from there (I'm mainly interested in Astrophysics or Theoretical Physics, but until I grasp the variety of possibilities physics provides there's no use in making any choices) or to get a higher degree in computer sciences and aim for an academic/researcher position on the subject (which I don't dislike).

In the latter possibility I'd still be interested in studying physics (and math) like a hobby of some sort as I've always been an enthusiast. So basically what I'm asking here is for advice on what to do at this point since I'm way confused right now. Also if I where to continue math and physics as a hobby, it'd be really helpful if someone could point me in the right direction on what should my path be, because through all my high school and college all I've studied is Algebra, Calculus, a little Linear Algebra, regular Mechanics and that's pretty much it.

--
Thanks for any and all the help you guys can give me, and sorry for the lengthy post.
Also sorry for any weird English construct, I'm certainly no expert on the language.

Last edited:
Are you a new graduate or an experienced physicist?
Do you like movies or are you more interested in adventure sports?
Are you a water baby or do you prefer hiking through the mountains?
Are you sick of itchy feet or just in need of a change?

Why not have it all! There is something for everyone in this modern coastal city…

We have a great opportunity for a physicist based in a stunning city on the coast of the New Zealand.

You will be an enthusiastic physicist who is interested in working in a clinical setting more specifically a radiation therapy environment. New graduates keen to advance their skills are welcome to apply as are experienced physicist just looking for a change. Career progression is available in this long-term role. Remuneration commensurate to your skills is available and a relocation allowance is included within the package.

Whether you are interested in exploring the amazing surroundings, getting your adrenalin pumping or just curling up to watch a movie - this city is the one for you!

If you are an enthusiastic physicist looking for a new adventure, we would love to hear from you.

Contact the GHS team at ghs@globalhealth.com.au

http://www.globalhealth.com.au/inde...district-health-wellington-hospital&Itemid=47

Hi,
I'm currently a math major going into second year, but I think I'm going to switch majors to physics because it's pretty goddamn awesome. Anyway, I was also thinking about taking more chem and bio in order to take the MCAT and eventually go into med school, but I have some questions.
First and foremost: What are some good jobs in physics? This means either jobs that actually put a lot of the material learned to good use or make a decent amount of money requiring a physics degree.
Secondly: I understand it's very difficult to get into med school; what are some of the things they look for besides marks?
And thirdly: How does the distinction in fields work in med school (ex. paediatrician vs. surgeon)? Like if (hypothetically) I were to be accepted, how would I choose where I wanted to go and what would I do to prepare for this?

Thanks in advance,

Maurice.

Hello,
I am current attending my fifth year of High School to finish some courses and prepare for university. I am looking into an http://www.uwindsor.ca/futurestudents/programprofile/physics-honours-physics-honours-physics-physics-and-high-technology-honours-physics-m" and then moving on to secure atleast a masters degree somewhere else. However my question is, what can I do with such a degree. Can I become an engineer after my bachelors degree in physics? What are the Job Opportunities like and who would you recommend something like this to. I have always found physics to be a very facinating subject, particularily Astrophysics and quantum mechanics. I have read a couple books (out of curiosity and general interest) from Michio Kaku (Physics of The Impossible as well as Hyperspace) and I generally find myself wandering the science section at book stores, browsing wikipedia articles and actually wanting to read physics textbooks from my university friends. I find everything from the structure and compostition of the universe, dark matter, the big crunch, super novae, magnetars all the way down to quarks, gluons, the weak-interaction, carbon nanotubes, string theory and all in between to quite astounding. I love finding out how the universe and its mechanics work and the theoretical work behind it all is quite astounding. However, while I clearly have the passion, I wonder what being a physicist is all about. Can I go off to the LHC and study high energy collisions lasting only fractions of a second, or would I be stuck moving around the continent searching for job opportunities like others suggest? I really need a push in the right direction, and any bits or tips at all as well as any suggestions would be quite helpful.

Also for graduate programs I was looking into a multitude of courses at Waterloo or York universities such as Nanotechnology, Quantum Computing and astrophysics would be nice.

AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE WHO CAN POST ANYTHING TO HELP AT ALL! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a 17 year old UK student currently studying Biologoy, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
I will be hopefully going to university in September 2012, however I'm not sure what I want to do as a career yet.
I really enjoy maths and physics so I'm contemplating doing a degree in one of those 2.

So, my query is, aside from a research role working for a university, what careers are there from a career in physics?

Thanks very much in advance.

(Note: I'm open to suggestions for careers anywhere in the UK, Europe or USA)

I was searching about the accomplishments of people who did physics in college, and it was interesting because they can integrate or work in many other fields (engineering or science). I also notice that most people w/ physics background invented most of the coolest technology marvels! And heck, even the father of robotics was a physicist Joseph engelberger (because he invented the first industrial robot).

Most physicists are start ups of technology! And i am very impressed about that.

I just want to list some of the greatest inventions of physicists:
- world wide web
- Microscope
- Electronic digital computer
- Second life (virtual world)
- LED
- Microprocessor
- integrated circuit
- Nuclear technology
- And many more

I just want to ask you if you agree that physicists are the start ups of technology.
If most of you agreed, then I would likely to pursue a Physics degree (I just graduated from high school !)

Also, do aerospace companies (e.g. Boeing, raytheon, lockheed martin) likely to hire physics majors (if they have the skills) to design an aircraft for them like the fuselage, the jet engine and the electronics system, and other aircraft parts?

Hi, I have been a long time viewer of Physics Forums but have never posted anything until now. Tonight was the first time I took a look at the Physics Forums Career Guidance section and figured that perhaps a couple of users could help me out with my current situation. When I initially enrolled in University I did so with the plan of becoming a computer scientist. Through coming in the top 20 contestants in the national computer Olympiad I was offered a full bursary by what I believe is the biggest bank in the country to study a computer science degree. At the time as is probably very obvious my interest in computer science was massive and I believed that this was exactly what I wanted and I signed a binding contract with them.

When I enrolled in University, it was required that I do a multiple number of other courses besides computer science. One of these I chose to do was physics since it was another subject I really enjoyed from school. The universities computer science course turned out to be incredibly mundane with them just teaching me a very abstract course most of which I had already covered by myself from some time before. The physics course however, really captured me. I completed my undergrad with a degree in physics and a degree in computer science to meet the needs of my bursary. When I applied for an honours degree in physics I am not sure why but my bursar didnt have a problem with it and agreed to fund me for another year. That year has come to an end and I have completed my honours in physics. This is where my problem lies. My bursar now does not want to fund me again for my masters. I have convinced them to allow me to try and motivate why they should allow me to continue with masters and I now have to write a letter of motivation to them describing the work I will be doing, what skills I will be developing through this work and how these skills could benefit them if they agree to fund me. My binding contract states that they will fund me until such time that they decide they want me to work for them. I can decline to work for them, but then it also states that on the day I decline the offer I need to fully repay my study loans, which I cannot do by any means. I don't really have an issue working for them at some point, since I am sure the pay will be good, which I believe I may need for personal family reasons in the near future. I just want to get to do as much physics I can before they pull me away.

So to do a quick recap, I have a bursary from a bank, initially for a computer science degree, but after changing my mind on what I want to do, I now need to convince them that me doing physics will benefit them. For more information, my honours was done with a focus on experimental particle physics/high energy physics. My masters will be done fully on particle physics with me going to CERN to complete it. I will be working on certain particle searches joining a team from my university.

I know that this is going to require a lot of C++ programming since I have already started working on the search this year and will be continuing with the same work next year. This is good since it is developing my programming skills which is what the bank wants. I will be working with a large number other physicists which I believe is probably a plus too since it means I will need to develop my team work skills and people skills. I know I will also be working a lot on understanding and modifying complex algorithms which I believe would be another preferable skill that I can offer them. What I would like to ask, is if there are any other suggestions people can give me that I could try convince them with. Is there anyone who has gone into, not necessarily only banking, but even IT (since I am almost certain I will be in their IT sector), that has found that their physics degree of any level (preferably if you had a focus on particle physics if you went as far as performing your own research) gave them some kind of edge, or a useful set of problem solving skills that they may not have gained otherwise? Anything you believe my bursar would think is something valuable.

So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

I have a Bachelors and Masters degree in IT, and many years of experience in programming (embedded). I have now an interest in understanding how semiconductors are designed, fabricated etc.

#1 I believe solid state physics is the research area. Should I consider applying for a PhD in Electrical Engineering department or the Physics department? What are the differences between them?

I did have some electronics courses in my undergraduate, but, I believe for either departments, I will be required to take lot of courses?

#2 Or should I consider modelling and simulation of semiconductor devices? Is this related to programming/computer science at all, or is it mostly practical analytical work?

Appreciate any guidance in this regard.

Hi,

I am a second year undergraduate physics student. By no choice of my own, I find myself in a very difficult situation. Without sharing to much details that might bore you, I am in a position where I have to not only make my own future and support myself but also support some of my family members (e.g younger siblings) financially.

I used to be an engineering student, but I switched to physics instead. I simply couldn't manage an engineering program, due to the difficulty and that engineering studies are very demanding. I also had numerous responsibilities outside school that I hand to attend to at that time. Hence, I switched to physics, something I really enjoyed, was good at in high school, and a program much more less demanding then engineering. Please excuse this bold claim of physics being "easier" then engineering. It is based simply on personal experience.

The only Reason I applied for engineering in the first place, was because of the job prospects. Engineering is a professional degree, made to prepare you for a job in the industry. This is evident in the fact that a one full year of personal experience working for a company is needed before graduation - at least in my university it is. Physics is more academic oriented, and jobs after graduation aren't necessarily well defined, at least not as well as I think engineering is.

My predicament is the following. I need to make money. As simple as that. I can assure you that it is not for some selfish reasons, but it stems from the responsibilities that I have.

To remedy this situation, I have thought of specializing in the field of physics that offers the following:
1) highest wages and highest job positions available
2) the ability to branch out on myself and perhaps open my own company. This might be a bit unusual to consider, since starting up your own company might include years of hard work with zero return and also the risk of failing. But I feel that working independently, might lead me to reaching my full potential as a prospective scientist.

Returning to Engineering school at this point isn't really an option for me. And so through research on the internet, I have looked at the different branches of undergrad physics my school offers and narrowed them to the following:

1) Geophysics: Essentially finding work in an oil/mineral company. Having looked at statistics, it seems like a good field to go into.

2) Condensed Matter Physics: My school webpage says that this field has the most applications in industry, and closely related to electrical engineering, and nanotechnology. I have no information about the job prospects with this specialization.

I also believe that these fields, allow some room for some entrepreneurship and possibly even some innovation.

Other then a curious scientific mind and a passion for physics, I don't have the social skills that most people have, I don't feel comfortable around people let alone interacting with them. Finding summer research internships is difficult for me, I don't have a very high GPA at the moment. So my prospects of going into graduate school are slimmer - I recognize that graduate school is a necessity for these fields. My question is, what do you think about What I have suggested above? and how can I make the most money out of my physics education ?Thank you for reading this far, I would be grateful for any input/comments/advice.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I recently graduated in physics, acquiring the equivalent of a master's degree in most countries. I'm interesting in pursuing a carrer in geophysics. I don't have any particular area in mind yet; I'm interested in anything from seismology, volcanology to hydrology. As long as it's interesting, I'm game.

I fear my home country doesn't offer enough challenge in this particular professional area so I'm planning to take an internship somewhere abroad (preferably in an English speaking country but I'm flexible on this subject). Can anyone suggest a good place to start looking for internships? I've already applied for Leonardo da Vinci program for 2012 but even if that succeeds I still have to find the internship placement by myself.

My thanks for any constructive answers you can send my way.
Martin

For along time now i have been interested in cosmology & and physics they have always intreuged me. so i am curious what kind of careers i can get if i went to school to study these subject. i am currently in grade 10 and my courses for the next couple of years basically include maths adn physics (along with gym but that's just to keep me active:smile:.) so if i go to the university of toronto which has lots of astronomy courses and physics courses what kind of careers can i expect to get with studying cosmology. thank you very much

I am a rising sophomore at a top 5 school, double majoring in physics and Russian. I am very passionate about learning both subjects and, while I used to consider physics my 'main' major and planned on getting a PhD in order to pursue a professorship, I have recently found myself spending more and more time looking into non-academic career options. More specifically, I would really love to find some way to use both skill sets on a regular basis. I have been looking into business consulting and international banking, but I am still open to any new paths that may be open to me upon graduation.

The two things driving me from academia are the somber job prospects of a science PhD and my less-than-invigorating research experience. I am going into my fourth year of physics research (two at a national laboratory, one in a university lab) and have become more and more bored with the slow pace of progress in academia. This may have more to do with my status as an undergraduate (and, therefore, at the bottom of the totem pole) but I have spent the last summer waiting for a large collaboration to make certain decisions that would allow me to begin my real work. This is fairly indicative of my research experience as a whole.

Am I throwing in the towel too soon? I still love thinking about and learning physics, but I'm not sure that committing myself to a life in academia and the tough market that comes along with it - and, for all intents and purposes, walking away from my love of Russian - is what I want to do anymore. If not, what is out there for someone with a strong analytic skill set and near-fluency, including experience abroad, in a critical language?

Hello,

I am currently doing a master's degree in theoretical physics and trying to decide in which area I would like to do my PhD.
Could you tell me your opinions in the opportunities in Quantum information science, quantum computing, etc... compared to theoretical particle physics and general relativity/cosmology? It seems to me that the actual situation of theoretical particle physics is not very good, and there are far more people trying to secure a permanent position than there are permanent positions in the field. Is it somehow better in the area of quantum information?

Thanks.

I am currently in high school first year (10th) and i have been thinking about what to do . Cosmology and particle physics really appeal to me and they seem to be quite easy to me ,but i have no idea what courses to do ( well i think i will have to do masters and then move onto honours ) and how much will i get paid after placement and how much average income is in these fields.
Since i come from India i don't think there is much scope here and don't know much about abroad . Anyone lease enlighten me on the subject .

P.S : I am thinking of doing electrical and electronics in engineering since there is dcope for it here .

Hi guys,

I'm currently an undergraduate physics major with a physics concentration and electrical engineering (ECE) minor, but I'm considering switching to a second discipline concentration and ECE minor. I love both physics and ECE and almost have to fight myself to not just keep adding classes and semesters.

I'm pretty sure at this point that I don't want a PhD or a career in academia, although that took a couple semesters to figure out. The reason why is largely due to the fact that I'm already 30, and I can't justify too many extra years of low income or else I'll never be able to retire. Instead I would like to pursue a masters in something along the lines of engineering physics, or possibly electrical engineering, and then find employment where the engineering is for physical applications. I intend to do this either directly after finishing my bachelors or part-time concurrent with a job, depending on opportunities that may present themselves, but at the same time I want to prepare myself as best as possible in the event that I don't do anything beyond the bachelors.

I have a solid GPA, a solid resume, and a solid skill set. My prior work experience was in radio maintenance in the military for six years, followed by an engineering position at a large, reputable engineering company for three years. I also have a bachelors in business that I got part time during my military years. I'm not worried about finding a decent job or grad school when I'm done, but instead I want to optimize my degree plan so I have the best chance of finding a great job or grad school, while simultaneously justifying the trade-off for time spent.

My questions are:

a) Would you agree that if I'm not going to do a physics PhD, then going with the second discipline concentration is a good idea? It will result in my being able to complete the degree in at least one, if not two, less semesters than it would have if I'd stayed with the physics concentration; and it still gives me most all of the physics courses I'd need for engineering applications, or so I believe.

b) I've looked through dozens of graduate schools in the engineering physics and electrical engineering departments, and it looks like I will be eligible to apply to most all of them with this plan; however, are there are parts of my plan that really scream "do it differently"? For example, would there be such massive benefit to a double major in ECE, that it would be worth the cost of 2-3 additional semesters to do it now, versus taking (likely fewer) catch-up courses after admission to grad school? Or is majoring with a second discipline concentration, which saves me a semester or two, going to look bad to grad schools?

c) If I choose to not increase or decrease the number of semesters, and I went with the second discipline concentration and ECE minor, I'd actually have room to add a math minor as well, would that be worth it? Would extra ECE classes above and beyond the minor be worth it if I had room? Which would be better?

BTW, all of my tuition/books/housing is paid for by the GI Bill if that makes any difference to your answers, though it's not enough to cover all of my expenses.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I've read a few times how accelerator physics needs people (really just ZapperZ's postings) and how they're "begging" for people.

Well, I would like to get back into science from software, and was wondering what the community take is on someone with a MS physics attempting to get into that field. What skill set would they be looking for? Is it not advisable, or perhaps advisable if I took class X, Y, and Z?

I really wouldn't want to spend 4-6 years in a PhD program somewhere to get qualified.

Thanks

Hello guys,

I'm a senior undergraduate from China and I'm considering applying for a PhD program in condensed matter in United States.

First of all, I'd like to know how hard would it be to get a relevant job in industry after achieving a PhD degree. Is there a demand for PhD or will I be rejected because I'm "over-qualified"?

Secondly, which field of condensed matter will be more promising in the future?

Thirdly, how hard would it be for a physics PhD to transfer to IT industry or financial industry? I heard that many such companies will hire physics students. What is the average salary if one works in IT industry of in financial industry in United States.

Thanks a lot.

I am not really interested in researching and all that kind of stuff but i am inspired about business and technology. I have some capital and i have always wanted to make my own company.
I am physics/info technology student and i have couple of ideas but i am wondering if any of you knew useful sites or ideas. For example i bet in USA there are so many ideas that have been used successfully , i live in small country where there are a lot of free room to expand.
Also what do you think about these ideas :
1) Very strong magnets
2) Solar electricity
3) electronic systems for new houses ( servers , security systems , sound system etc)
4) some kind of applied nano-technology
5) start like a programming company or whatever
Thanks for help.

REF: PTNH136
TITLE: Physics Lecturers

Protech Training Services Ltd is a subsidiary recruitment company for North Hertfordshire College. We supply temporary Lecturers and Assessors in all areas of Further Education.

We are currently looking for GCSE and/or A-Level Physics Lecturers for part time assignments in Stevenage.

The ideal candidate will hold a relevant qualification and hold or be working towards a teaching qualification. Industry experience would be an advantage.

The hourly rate is to be confirmed, as are the hours and days. The start date for this assignment is September.

If you are interested in this position please send your CV via e-mail, or call us on 01462 42 42 41.

All positions that PTS advertise are on a temporary basis, but could be on-going.

Follow PTS on twitter for all the latest updates and vacancies - https://twitter.com/NHC_PTS

PTS promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with PTS. An enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosure check is required for all PTS assignments. All positions advertised by PTS comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.

Hello, I'm a little lost right now, and I would appreciate some thoughtful ideas or advice.

I graduated with a B.S. in Physics a little under 5 years ago at the peak of the recession. When I started, I had the intention of becoming a professor and doing energy research. I spent most of my undergrad years doing research while working jobs on the side to fund my education and experiencing a hefty dose of class-ism. After seeing a lot of unhappy people doing research and seeing a long road of unhappiness ahead of me, I chose to take my chances on an alternate career path, software engineering.

Software engineering was the lowest-cost option for entry, because I could teach myself while working some other menial job for minimum wage (cooking), which I did. I would have taken the FE in electrical engineering, but I could not, because I had not taken enough humanities credits in college (crazy, I know).

So after a few years of hard work and discipline, I eventually networked my way into a software company as a tester, quickly moved to being the test lead, then worked as a full-stack engineer for a few years on a web project for the Navy. Eventually, I left, because I could not tolerate some of the unethical practices in this agency and I refused the raises I kept getting to stay there.

Right now, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I am an expert in Selenium Webdriver (having created two custom frameworks) and software deployment automation. I am a well-rounded web developer. I have experience as a team lead. I have made a ton of little projects to hone my skills.

It seems like it would be easy to get a job as a QA lead somewhere, and I think I could actually be happy doing that. I can really rock that kind of a job and can probably be the best QA lead out there.

However, I want to create social change for the better. I want to truly make this world a better place, but I feel stuck. To demonstrate the kind of angle I'm going for, I'm thinking about starting a company that sells used phones with free software operating systems pre-installed (not sure how to get started, though).

Sorry for the long post. I know it's a bit of a soap opera, but this is my life, and I'm making the best of it. I have been out of the loop in the physics scene for 4-5 years now, so I posted here because some of you might be best qualified to know where my physics and web development skills might best be combined and applied.

Warm regards, and I appreciate your help and respectful opinions.

Last edited:
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help. I have just completed my PhD in medical physics and also have an Euro Masters in medical physics both from a UK university, the PhD has IPEM accreditation. I was looking at jobs in the USA but they are asking for CAMPEP accreditation. Is the IPEM accreditation equivalent to CAMPEP?
Many thanks!

Related to Guidance needed about physics field and post-secondary education

1. What are the career options in the physics field?

There are a variety of career options in the physics field, including research and development, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and consulting. Many physicists also work in industries such as healthcare, aerospace, and energy.

2. What are the education requirements for a career in physics?

Most careers in physics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. For research and teaching positions, a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, is usually necessary.

3. What skills are important for success in the physics field?

Some important skills for success in the physics field include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

4. What are some recommended courses to take in high school for a career in physics?

To prepare for a career in physics, it is recommended to take courses in math, such as calculus and algebra, as well as physics, chemistry, and computer science. These courses will provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles of physics and developing important skills for the field.

5. What are some tips for choosing a post-secondary institution for studying physics?

When choosing a post-secondary institution for studying physics, it is important to consider factors such as the program's curriculum, research opportunities, faculty expertise, and available resources and facilities. It is also helpful to visit the campus and speak with current students and professors to get a better understanding of the program and its offerings.