Guidance in solving Scalar Field with BC's

In summary, the third equation is a wave equation that the field must satisfy. It is multiplied by the reduced Green's function, which is a function of the field that codes for the wave equation.
robousy
Hi all,

I am having some problems understanding the steps in a paper.

I've looked in books and asked other grad students but they have all not been of too much help and I am still stuck.

I have a massive scalar field mass [tex]\mu[/tex] interacting with two delta function potentials with lagrangian density:

[tex]{\cal L}_{int}=- \frac{1}{2} \frac{\lambda}{a} {\delta (x) \phi(x)^2 - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\lambda^'}{a} {\delta (x-a) \phi(x)^2

[/tex]

with conditions:

[tex] \lambda, \lambda^{'} \rightarrow \infty \: \: \: \phi(0), \phi(a) \rightarrow 0 [/tex]

I am interested in calculating the Casimir energy between the plates which can be computed in terms of a Green function which is just the Time ordered product of the expectation of the fields with a Fourier Transform:

[tex]G(x,x^{'} )=\int \frac{d\omega}{2\pi}e^{i\omega (t-t^{'})}g(x,x^{'};\omega^{'} )[/tex]

The reduced Green function satisfies:

[tex]\left -\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\kappa^2+\frac{\lambda}{a}\delta(x) + \frac{\lambda^{'}}{a}\delta(x-a) \right g(x,x') = \delta(x-x^{'} )[/tex]

where, [tex]\kappa^2=\mu^2-\omega^2[/tex]

...they then go on to solve for g(x,x')

I am stuck on several parts of this.

1) What 'is' the 3rd equation. I am not sure if its a general wave equation that the field must satisfy, or if its the equations of motion of the field or what...and why is it multiplied by the reduced Greens function.

2) I am sure that no one can really be bothered to type out the solution of g(x,x') for me but if you could recommend a good source so that I can see the steps I would appreciate it.

ANY help whatsoever here would be good - physical insights...mathematical processes, just say anything you like! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
1) What 'is' the 3rd equation. I am not sure if its a general wave equation that the field must satisfy, or if its the equations of motion of the field or what...and why is it multiplied by the reduced Greens function.
The way it is formulated, I have the impression it is simply the defining equation for the Greens function of the wave equation you'd get from the Lagrangian.
See it this way: the Lagrangian codes for a wave equation, right ? Like the Lagrangian for the free Dirac field codes for the Dirac equation. Now the Dirac equation has a Green's function attached to it, which is essentially the Dirac equation with a delta function on the right (and a prescription for how to circumvent the poles).
I'm GUESSING that that is what the 3rd equation stands for.
If I talk nonsense I hope that someone will point that out (gently :biggrin:)
cheers,
Patrick.

I can't help you with this, but i'll see who can

Sorry

ok, thanks to both of you. I'm still working on this (after a week!) and have been looking at it every day. If anyone else can provide some tips then they will be appreciated.

Ok,

I think I am figuring out how to solve this.

Take the Fourier Transform of both sides, divide out term in brackets on left hand side to get g(k,x') by itself then take the inverse FT and solve using the residue theorem.

Related to Guidance in solving Scalar Field with BC's

1. What is a scalar field with boundary conditions?

A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a scalar value (such as temperature or pressure) to every point in space. Boundary conditions are additional constraints that are imposed on the solution of the scalar field, typically at the boundary of the region of interest.

2. Why is it important to solve scalar fields with boundary conditions?

Solving scalar fields with boundary conditions is important because it allows us to accurately model and understand physical phenomena, such as heat transfer or fluid flow, in a given region. Boundary conditions help to ensure that the solution is realistic and applicable to the real world.

3. What methods are commonly used to solve scalar fields with boundary conditions?

There are various numerical methods that can be used to solve scalar fields with boundary conditions, such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What challenges are commonly encountered when solving scalar fields with boundary conditions?

The main challenges in solving scalar fields with boundary conditions include accurately representing the physical system, choosing appropriate boundary conditions, and selecting a suitable numerical method. Additionally, the computational cost and accuracy of the solution can also be potential challenges.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of the solution for a scalar field with boundary conditions?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of the solution, it is important to carefully select the numerical method and boundary conditions based on the physical system being modeled. It is also recommended to perform grid refinement studies and sensitivity analyses to assess the accuracy and convergence of the solution. Validating the solution with experimental or analytical data can also help to ensure its reliability.