Guidance for improving practical skills

In summary, a second year computer systems engineering student is looking to build an electronics lab to practice practical applications of their university courses. They have found resources such as 'useful EE links' and books, but are unsure of where to start due to their inexperience. They plan to design and build a basic feedback control system, either with discrete circuits or a USB interface, and experiment with different feedback loops. They are currently taking courses in instrumentation and measurement, digital electronics, and next semester will take classes in computer architecture, microprocessor systems, electronic circuit design, and signals & systems. They have already completed courses in analog electronics and software design principles. They are interested in learning about sensor systems and how to incorporate feedback into their circuits/programs
Basher1
hello all, i am a second year computer systems engineering student, after my first year i have done well in the theory. but i find i learn so much more when a unit has practical backing. i have decided to build an electronics lab so that i may practice various topics in engineering that i learn at university. i have seen the 'useful EE links,' as well as having loads of books. These are great sources of info. I was wondering however, where is the best place to start when doing things like this. I am still very inexperienced, so I am a bit lost on where to start.

please any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Design and build any basic feedback control system.
You can do it with ether discrete circuits or some type of
USB enabled interface.
Once you have the basics down, experiment with different feedback loops.

so would you be referring to sensor systems? those used in instrumentation?

Basher1 said:
hello all, i am a second year computer systems engineering student, after my first year i have done well in the theory. but i find i learn so much more when a unit has practical backing. i have decided to build an electronics lab so that i may practice various topics in engineering that i learn at university. i have seen the 'useful EE links,' as well as having loads of books. These are great sources of info. I was wondering however, where is the best place to start when doing things like this. I am still very inexperienced, so I am a bit lost on where to start.

please any suggestions are greatly appreciated

What classes are you taking now, and what classes are up next after that?

instrumentation and measurement, digital electronics are the two tech units i have(as well as a math unit and a management unit). next semester is computer architecture, microprocessor systems, electronic circuit design and signals & systems. I have done analog electronics already and software design principles already, the latter deals with being able to write and structure good code for use with any programming language but specifically java.

Basher1 said:
so would you be referring to sensor systems? those used in instrumentation?

Yes, any type of input that your circuit/program can respond to.
The important part is learning about feedback and how the changing
inputs effect the output and overall system.
In the digital would it looks like a state table.

yeah, I thought that that may give us a good all round introduction to electronics in the lab. thank you for your help.

Also berkeman, i would like to hear any suggestions you may have.

thank you

Related to Guidance for improving practical skills

1. What is the importance of improving practical skills in scientific research?

Improving practical skills is crucial for a scientist because it allows for efficient and accurate data collection, analysis, and interpretation. It also enables scientists to design and execute experiments effectively, leading to reliable results and conclusions.

2. How can I improve my practical skills as a scientist?

One way to improve practical skills is by practicing regularly and seeking guidance from experienced scientists. Attending workshops, conferences, and training programs can also help in honing practical skills.

3. What are some common mistakes that can hinder the improvement of practical skills?

Some common mistakes that can hinder the improvement of practical skills include insufficient planning and organization, lack of attention to detail, and failure to follow proper protocols and procedures.

4. How can I incorporate the guidance for improving practical skills into my daily work as a scientist?

You can incorporate the guidance for improving practical skills by setting specific goals for each experiment, carefully following established protocols, and seeking feedback from colleagues and mentors. Regularly reflecting on your work and identifying areas for improvement can also help in enhancing practical skills.

5. Are there any resources available for further guidance on improving practical skills?

Yes, there are numerous resources available, such as books, online courses, and workshops, that provide guidance for improving practical skills in scientific research. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer training programs specifically focused on enhancing practical skills for scientists.