Guess the Mechanism help (Organic Chemistry)

In summary, the conversation is about identifying the mechanism for converting a diol into a ketone in organic chemistry. The solution involves tautomerization and a pinacol rearrangement, which was not covered in lecture.
Gigantron
"Guess the Mechanism" help! (Organic Chemistry)

Homework Statement

After identifying my reactants and products via spectral analysis, I am now tasked with figuring out the mechanism behind converting a diol into a ketone.

Homework Equations

Ig0Ianu.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The key to this appears to be tautomerization somewhere in the reactant (whereby the oxygen atoms donate electrons in order to create a double bond), but everything I've tried with that has failed so far. I'm really stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Guess the Mechanism help (Organic Chemistry)

1. What is "Guess the Mechanism"?

"Guess the Mechanism" is a game or activity commonly used in organic chemistry courses to help students practice predicting reaction mechanisms based on given reactants and products. It can also be used as a study tool for exams.

2. How does "Guess the Mechanism" work?

In "Guess the Mechanism," students are given a set of reactants and products and are asked to draw a plausible reaction mechanism that could lead to the observed products. The goal is to use knowledge of organic chemistry principles to accurately predict the most likely reaction pathway.

3. What are the benefits of playing "Guess the Mechanism"?

Playing "Guess the Mechanism" can help improve students' critical thinking skills and deepen their understanding of reaction mechanisms in organic chemistry. It also allows for practice and reinforcement of important concepts and helps students prepare for exams.

4. Can "Guess the Mechanism" be played in a group or individually?

Yes, "Guess the Mechanism" can be played in a group setting or individually. In a group, students can work together to come up with a plausible mechanism and discuss their reasoning. Individually, students can test their skills and knowledge on their own.

5. Are there any resources available for "Guess the Mechanism"?

Yes, there are many resources available for "Guess the Mechanism" including online games, practice problems, and worksheets. Additionally, most organic chemistry textbooks have chapters or sections dedicated to reaction mechanisms and provide practice problems for students to try.