Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave derivation seems wrong

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of Group Velocity for long wavelength waves in shallow water. The person has a question about a step where a term is pulled out of an O(kh_0^2) term. After considering the expansion of sinh(x) and 1/(1+x^2+...) using geometric series, the correct result is obtained.
K29
I have a simple question but I'm putting down the whole derivation as it is relevant. There is a point that I don't understand, or seems wrong to me. This is a derivation of Group Velocity followed by simplifying(approximating it) for long wavelength waves in shallow water. This appears in a pack of notes that I have. I feel like it is wrong. But if it is wrong, I don't see how to get to the right answer.

Group Velocity of Stokes wave in general is derived as such:

(1): [itex]V_{G}=\frac{d\omega(k)}{dk}[/itex] where k is wavenumber, [itex]\omega[/itex] is angular frequency

(2): [itex]\omega ^{2}=gk \tanh(kh_{0})[/itex]. This is the dispersion relation for stokes waves. g is gravity, [itex]h_{0}[/itex] is depth.

Differentiating both sides of 2 with respect to k:
[itex]2\omega \frac{d\omega}{dk}=g \tanh(kh_{0})+\frac{gkh_{0}}{\cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}[/itex]

Dividing through by [itex] 2\omega[/itex]:
[itex]\frac{d\omega}{dk}=\frac{g}{2\omega}\tanh(kh_{0})+\frac{gkh_{0}}{\cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}[/itex]

Substituting in (2) rearranged:
[itex]\frac{d\omega}{dk}=\frac{g}{2\omega}\frac{\omega ^2}{gk}+\frac{gkh_{0}}{\cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}[/itex][itex]=\frac{\omega}{2k}+\frac{gkh_{0}}{2\omega \cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{\omega}{2k}[1+\frac{gh_{0}k^{2}}{\omega ^2 \cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}][/itex]

Using phase velocity [itex]c=\frac{w}{k}[/itex] substituting (2):
[itex]=\frac{c}{2}[1+\frac{gh_{0}k^{2}}{gk \tanh(kh_{0} \cosh ^{2}(kh_{0})}][/itex]

[itex]=\frac{c}{2}[1+\frac{gh_{0}k^{2}}{gk \sinh(kh_{0} \cosh(kh_{0})}][/itex]

Using [itex]2\sinh(\theta) \cosh(\theta)=\sinh(2\theta)[/itex]
(3):[itex]V_{G}=\frac{d\omega}{dk}=\frac{c}{2}[1+\frac{2kh_{0}}{\sinh(2kh_{0})}][/itex]

I am fine with all the steps up to there. I do not see any problems there.

Now we consider group velocity [itex]V_{G}[/itex] with long wavelength, shallow water:
[itex]kh_{0}=2\pi\frac{h_{0}}{\lambda}<<1[/itex] since wave number k = 2pi/wavelength

We use the fact that
[itex]\sinh(x)=x+O(x^{3})[/itex] as x→0
(This step seems fine to me)

Using the above 2 facts in (3) we have:
4a.)[itex]V_{G}=\frac{c}{2}[1+\frac{2kh_{0}}{2kh_{0}}(1+O(kh_{0})^{2}][/itex]

This is where I have a problem. I see that a [itex]2kh_{0}[/itex] has been pulled out of [itex]O(kh_{0}^2)[/itex]. That is fine. But unless I am missing something the above equation only pops out if [itex]\sinh[/itex] was in the numerator of (3). But it is in the denominator. So IN MY OPINION the above equation should be:
4.b)[itex]\frac{c}{2}[1+\frac{2kh_{0}}{2kh_{0}(1+O(kh_{0})^{2}}][/itex]

However as far as I can see 4.a) yields the correct result:
5)[itex]V_{G}=c[1+O(kh_{0})^2]\approx c[/itex]

and 4b) does not.

Are the notes incorrect? If so, how does one arrive at 5.) If not, what am I missing?
PLEASE help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In (3), first expand sinh(x) and then 1/(1+x^2+...) using geometric series

Last edited:
clamtrox said:
In (3), first expand sinh(x) and then 1/(1+x^2+...) using geometric series

Thanks a lot .That helped

Related to Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave derivation seems wrong

1. What is the Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave?

The Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave is the speed at which the wave energy travels through a group of waves. It is a measure of the rate at which the wave's characteristics (such as height and wavelength) change over time.

2. How is the Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave derived?

The Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave is derived using the linear theory of surface waves in fluid mechanics. This theory takes into account the effects of gravity, surface tension, and the fluid's density and depth.

3. Why does the derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave seem wrong?

The derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave may seem wrong because it relies on certain assumptions that may not hold true in all cases. Additionally, the derivation may not take into account certain factors that could affect the wave's behavior.

4. What are some limitations of the derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave?

Some limitations of the derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave include the assumption of an inviscid and irrotational fluid, neglecting the effects of wind and other external forces, and not accounting for wave breaking and dissipation.

5. How can the derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave be improved?

The derivation of Group Velocity of shallow water Stokes wave can be improved by considering more realistic and complex models that take into account the various factors and forces that may affect the wave's behavior. Additionally, further research and experimentation can help refine and validate the current derivation methods.