Group Theory: Prove o(b) even if ab = b^-1a

In summary, we use the given relation to normalize products of a's and b's and manipulate them to show that b^2 = 1, leading to the conclusion that o(b) divides 2.
Dromepalin
Group Theory: Prove o(b)|2 if ab = b^-1a

Homework Statement

Suppose G is a group and a, b [tex]\in[/tex] G
a) If o(a) is odd and a*b = b^−1*a, prove that o(b)|2.
b) If o(a) is even and a*b = b^−1*a, does it follow that o(b)|2? Prove your answer.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a) since ab = b^-1a, bab = a
(bab)^o(a) = a^o(a)
so, b^o(a)a^o(a)b^o(a) = e
[[I now realize I can't do this since G is not necessarily abelian, so not commutative..but ploughing on...]]
b^2o(a) = e, thus o(b) is even

I don't know how to approach this one. Been stuck on it for a frustrating amount of time now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is aba-1? a2ba-2? a3ba-3? Can you find a general pattern for anban?

Incidentally, you aren't trying to prove that o(b) is even (indeed, this is impossible, as b=e satisfies the identity ab=b-1a). You are trying to prove that o(b) divides 2, i.e. that b2 = e

When I see relations like

Dromepalin said:
a*b = b^−1*a

I like to use them to normalize products. Given any product of a's and b's (and their inverses), you can use this relation to move all the a's to the left and the b's to the right.

So, I am inclined to try and write down products of a's and b's that might be interesting, and see what they normalize to.

Thank you very much Citan Uzuki and Hurkyl :D
Here's how I did it:
ab = b^-1a
a = bab And a = b^-1ab^-1. Let me be the odd integer such that o(a) = m
Then: a^m = (bab)(b^-1ab^-1)(bab)...(bab)(b^-1ab^-1)(bab) = ba^mb
Thus b^2 = 1 and o(b)|2

Last edited:

Related to Group Theory: Prove o(b) even if ab = b^-1a

1. How does Group Theory relate to proving o(b) even if ab = b^-1a?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation. In this case, we are using Group Theory to prove the evenness of o(b) when the elements ab and b^-1a are equal.

2. What does o(b) represent in this context?

o(b) represents the order of the element b in the group, which is the smallest positive integer n for which b^n = e, where e is the identity element of the group. In other words, it is the number of times b must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element.

3. How can we prove that o(b) is even if ab = b^-1a?

Firstly, we need to remember that the inverse of an element is unique, meaning that for any element b, there is only one element b^-1 such that bb^-1 = e. Using this property, we can rewrite the equation ab = b^-1a as ab^-1 = e. From this, we can see that the order of the element b^-1 must also be even, as b^-1 multiplied by itself an even number of times will result in the identity element. Therefore, if o(b^-1) is even, then o(b) must also be even.

4. Can we use a specific example to better understand this concept?

Yes, let's consider the group of integers modulo 4 under addition, denoted as Z4. In this group, the identity element is 0, and the element b = 2 has an order of 2, as 2 + 2 = 0. Now, if we take b^-1 = 2, we can see that 2 + 2 = 0, which means that ab = b^-1a. In this case, both b and b^-1 have an even order, proving our statement that o(b) is even if ab = b^-1a.

5. What are the implications of this theorem in Group Theory?

This theorem has many implications in Group Theory, as it helps us to better understand the structure and properties of groups. It also allows us to make connections between different groups and identify similar patterns in their elements and operations. Additionally, this theorem can be used to prove other theorems and properties in Group Theory, making it a fundamental concept in the field.