Group theory, order of a product of two elements

In summary: Then, for every element a there is an inverse b-a. But now we have an infinite list of inverses, and we can't just check if the orders are the same.
Barre
I search for an 'elementary' proof of this, where results about structure of abelian groups are not used. I've tried a standard way of proving this, but hit a wall. I'm mainly interested if my work on a proof can be expanded to a full solution.

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G[/itex] be an abelian group containing elements [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] of orders [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] respectively. Show that [itex]G[/itex] contains an element whoes order is the least common multiple of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll try to prove [itex]ab[/itex] has order [itex]l = lcm(m,n)[/itex]. Clearly [itex](ab)^l = e[/itex]. So we know that [itex]ord(ab) \vert l[/itex]. Assuming [itex](ab)^k = e[/itex] and
[itex]1 < k \leq l[/itex] I would have to prove that [itex]k = l[/itex].
Define [itex]d = gcd(m,n)[/itex]. Then we can write [itex]m= m'd[/itex] and [itex]n = n'd[/itex]. It's easy to see that [itex]l = m'n'd[/itex], and [itex]gcd(m',n') = 1[/itex].
If [itex](ab)^k = e[/itex], then [itex]a^k = b^{-k}[/itex] and orders of these elements must be the same. So we have that [itex](a^k)^m = a^{km} = e = b^{-km}[/itex] and we see that [itex]n \vert km[/itex] which re-written means [itex]n'd \vert km'd [/itex] and [itex]n' \vert km'[/itex] and since [itex]gcd(m',n') = 1[/itex] we get that [itex]n' \vert k[/itex]. Repeating this procedure the other way around we can prove that [itex]m' \vert k[/itex] and finally [itex]m'n' \vert k[/itex].

But this does not do the job, since I need to prove [itex]n'm'd \vert k[/itex], and I can't find a way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that without further assumptions, all you can conclude about the order of ab is that [itex]ord(ab)|l[/itex].

Consider, for example, [itex]b = a^{-1}[/itex]. These two elements have the same order, say m. Thus [itex]l = lcm(m,m) = m[/itex]. But ord(ab) = ord(e) = 1.

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
I think that without further assumptions, all you can conclude about the order of ab is that [itex]ord(ab)|l[/itex].

Consider, for example, [itex]b = a^{-1}[/itex]. These two elements have the same order, say m. Thus [itex]l = lcm(m,m) = m[/itex]. But ord(ab) = ord(e) = 1.

Yes, the textbook is a bit unclear I think. As you point out, if we chose an element and it's inverse, the result does not hold. We could restrict this so that a is not the inverse of b.

Related to Group theory, order of a product of two elements

1. What is the order of a product of two elements in group theory?

The order of a product of two elements in group theory is equal to the least common multiple of the orders of the two elements. This means that the order of the product is the smallest number that is a multiple of both element orders.

2. How is the order of a product of two elements calculated?

The order of a product of two elements can be calculated using the formula: order of product = (order of first element) x (order of second element) / (order of their intersection). The intersection refers to the elements that are common to both the first and second elements.

3. Can the order of a product of two elements be greater than the order of the group?

No, the order of a product of two elements cannot be greater than the order of the group. This is because the order of a group is defined as the number of elements in the group, and the order of a product of two elements cannot exceed the total number of elements in the group.

4. What is the significance of the order of a product of two elements in group theory?

The order of a product of two elements is significant in group theory because it helps determine the structure and properties of a group. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of elements within a group and can be used to solve problems involving group operations.

5. How does the order of a product of two elements affect the symmetry of a group?

The order of a product of two elements is directly related to the symmetry of a group. If the order of the product is equal to the order of the group, then the group is said to be symmetric. If the order of the product is less than the order of the group, then the group is said to be asymmetric. This can provide important insights into the structure and behavior of a group.