Group generated by two elements

In summary, the homework problem is to prove that a finite group, specifically the special linear group of order 2 over the finite field of 3 elements, is generated by two elements. However, the group is non-Abelian, so simply considering powers of the generators will not work. The attempted solutions involve taking arbitrary products, but this would be time-consuming given the group's order of 24. The question asks if there is a general method or theorem that can be used to prove that the generators of a group actually generate the group without having to go through all the possible products.
Mystic998

Homework Statement

Essentially the problem is to show that a certain finite group (specifically the special linear group of order 2 over the finite field of 3 elements) is generated by two elements. But the problem is that it's non-Abelian, so I can't just consider powers of the generators. So I'm wondering if there's any general way to show that the generators of a group actually generate the group without going through all the possible products.

Homework Equations

I suppose the definition of a group generated by A being the intersection of all groups containing A.

The Attempt at a Solution

All my current solution attempts for the specific problems have to do with showing it by taking arbitrary products, but I just kind of stop in the middle because I know it's going to take forever if I do it that way (the group's order is 24 after all).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if there's some really obvious way to do this that I'm missing, or if there's some kind of theorem that I could use. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Group generated by two elements

What is a group generated by two elements?

A group generated by two elements is a mathematical structure that consists of all possible combinations of the two elements and their inverses under a given operation. This operation can be addition, multiplication, or any other binary operation that is closed under the elements. The group generated by two elements is also known as a dihedral group.

How do you represent a group generated by two elements?

A group generated by two elements can be represented using a Cayley table, which is a square table that lists all possible combinations of the two elements and their resulting operation. The identity element of the group is usually represented as 1 or e, and the inverse of an element is denoted by a superscript -1.

What are the properties of a group generated by two elements?

A group generated by two elements has the following properties:

• It is closed under the given operation.
  • It has an identity element that leaves other elements unchanged when operated with.
  • Every element has an inverse within the group.
  • The group is associative, meaning that the order in which operations are performed does not matter.
  • It has a finite number of elements.

What is the significance of a group generated by two elements?

Groups generated by two elements have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study symmetry in geometric objects, such as regular polygons and polyhedra. They are also important in understanding crystal structures and molecular symmetry. In physics, these groups are used to describe the rotational symmetry of physical systems.

Can a group generated by two elements have an infinite number of elements?

No, a group generated by two elements can only have a finite number of elements. This is because the group is generated by only two elements, and the number of elements in the group is determined by the number of unique combinations of these two elements and their inverses. Therefore, the group cannot have an infinite number of elements.