Group Classes of Homework Statement: e, a,b,c,d,f

And that makes it easy to calculate the square of any of the matrices and see which ones are conjugate.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

##e = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##,
##a =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
-\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##.
##b =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##c= \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##d=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
-\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##f=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
Find classes of group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Classes are ##\{e\}##,##\{a,b,c\},\{d,f\}##.
My problem is what is easiest way to find them? I think by watching characters. Am I right? ##\{e\}## is only element with character ##2##. Elements ##\{a,b,c\}## have character ##0##, and elements ##\{d,f\}## have character ##-1##. What is the other way to search this classes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:

Homework Statement

##e = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##,
##a =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
-\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##.
##b =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##c=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##d=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
-\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
##f=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
Find classes of group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Classes are ##\{e\}##,##\{a,b,c\},\{d,f\}##.
My problem is what is easiest way to find them? I think by watching characters. Am I right? ##\{e\}## is only element with character ##2##. Elements ##\{a,b,c\}## have character ##0##, and elements ##\{d,f\}## have character ##-1##. What is the other way to search this classes?

Classes means conjugacy classes, right? And what you are calling a 'character' I would call a 'trace', but ok. But, yes, that's a good clue. If two matrices don't have the same trace then they can't be conjugate. But they can be not conjugates and still have the same trace. So it's best to either check directly or rely on some other argument besides trace. And I think your matrix c has a factor of 1/2 that doesn't belong there.

Yes classes are conjugacy classes. In ##c## is mistake. Yes. You're right. But how you see that so fast that in ##c## ##\frac{1}{2}## is problem? Characters are traces of elements. Can you tell me some other way to find conjugacy classes?

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes classes are conjugacy classes. In ##c## is mistake. Yes. You're right. But how you see that so fast that in ##c## ##\frac{1}{2}## is problem? Characters are traces of elements. Can you tell me some other way to find conjugacy classes?

Use the definition of conjugate. a is conjugate to b if there is an element of the group g such that gag^(-1)=b. If you try to calculate c^2 it's pretty obvious the (1/2) doesn't belong there.

Related to Group Classes of Homework Statement: e, a,b,c,d,f

What is the purpose of group classes in homework statements?

Group classes in homework statements are designed to encourage collaboration and teamwork among students. By working together, students can learn from each other and develop important communication and problem-solving skills.

How are group classes structured in homework assignments?

Group classes in homework assignments typically involve dividing students into small groups and assigning them a specific task or problem to solve. These groups may meet in person or collaborate online to complete the assignment together.

What are the benefits of including group classes in homework assignments?

Including group classes in homework assignments has several benefits. It allows students to learn from their peers and gain a deeper understanding of the material. It also promotes teamwork and communication skills, which are essential in many areas of science and research.

What challenges may arise in group classes of homework assignments?

Some challenges that may arise in group classes of homework assignments include differences in work styles and conflicts among group members. It is important for students to learn how to effectively communicate and resolve conflicts in order to successfully complete the assignment.

How can teachers facilitate successful group classes in homework assignments?

Teachers can facilitate successful group classes in homework assignments by clearly defining the task or problem, providing guidelines for collaboration, and offering support and guidance as needed. They can also encourage students to reflect on their group dynamics and provide opportunities for feedback and evaluation.