Group Actions on Truncated Octahedron

In summary, the group of rotational symmetries of the octahedron has an action on the edges of the truncated octahedron. The orbits of this action include the edges of the square faces and the edges that border both squares and hexagons. A representative element can be chosen from each orbit and the stabilizers of these elements can be found by picking an edge and observing the size of the orbit. After considering the symmetries of the octahedron, it can be determined that the edges of the square faces are in their own orbit and the edges that border both squares and hexagons are in a transitive group action with only the identity element stabilizing a particular edge.
Obraz35

Homework Statement

Let G be the group of rotational symmetries of the octahedron and consider the action of G on the edges of the truncated octahedron.

Describe the orbits of this action.

Choose one representative element in each orbit. Describe the stabilizers of these representative elements.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a lot of trouble visualizing the movements of the edges of the truncated octahedron (which is what I am assuming is what happens when G acts on them). But I think the edges of the square faces make up one orbit and I'm not sure on the others. Any thoughts?

Also, I don't really know what it means to pick a representative element of an orbit. Just pick one edge and see what the stabilizers are?

Physics news on Phys.org
well if you pick an edge and see what the stabilisers are, this can tell you the size of the orbit, at least that way you know what you're looking for.

when i was looking at this my gut feeling was that the edges of the square faces would be one orbit and those of the hexagonal faces another but after some thought, the edges of the square faces are also edges of the hexagonal faces. I'm going to go for transitive group action for this reason and the fact that using the symmetries of the octahedron i can't find anything other than e to stabilise a particular edge.

Maybe this doesn't make sense, but I don't see how the edges of the square can be in the same orbit as the edges that only border hexagons.

Related to Group Actions on Truncated Octahedron

1. What is a truncated octahedron?

A truncated octahedron is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by cutting off the corners of an octahedron. It has 14 faces, 36 edges, and 24 vertices.

2. What are group actions on truncated octahedrons?

Group actions on truncated octahedrons refer to the various ways in which the truncated octahedron can be transformed or manipulated while still maintaining its original shape. These transformations can include rotations, reflections, and translations.

3. What is the significance of group actions on truncated octahedrons?

Group actions on truncated octahedrons have practical applications in fields such as chemistry, crystallography, and geometry. They also have aesthetic value and can be used in design and architecture.

4. How do group actions on truncated octahedrons relate to symmetry?

The group actions on truncated octahedrons are closely related to its symmetry. The truncated octahedron has 48 symmetries, or transformations that preserve its shape, and these can be classified into different groups based on their properties.

5. Can group actions on truncated octahedrons be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of group actions can be applied to other shapes and objects as well. However, the specific group actions and symmetries will vary depending on the shape and its properties.