Ground state radiation question

In summary: Quantum mechanics solved the problem by showing that there is not actually a continuum of energy states for the electron, but rather only a finite set of allowed energy states. When an electron falls into one of these allowed energy states, it begins to emit EM energy in accordance with the laws of quantum mechanics. However, the emission of EM energy does not cause the atom to collapse, because the energy is always less than the energy required to collapse the atom.
elegysix
I had a curious thought today, here is my logic: Charged particles have E fields. Moving charged particles create B fields. Electrons are moving charged particles, oscillating in an atom. Therefore, I concluded that an atom must be creating an oscillating EM wave, even in the ground state.

But, I've never heard of such a thing. I know all about emissions from electron transitions, but I can't break my own logic here. Its too simple of an argument for me to refute. I assume that means I am probably missing something.

I worked out a simple equation using the static E field equation and some logic from classical mechanics, and it gave me an oscillating E field where the amplitude dropped off as 1/r^2. I know this is wrong, I should have used schrodinger's eqn, probabilities, and relativistic corrections, but I wasn't trying to go that far with it.

I just want to know why they don't have this, and what's wrong with my logic.thanks
austin

Physics news on Phys.org
elegysix said:
I had a curious thought today, here is my logic: Charged particles have E fields. Moving charged particles create B fields. Electrons are moving charged particles, oscillating in an atom. Therefore, I concluded that an atom must be creating an oscillating EM wave, even in the ground state.

But, I've never heard of such a thing. I know all about emissions from electron transitions, but I can't break my own logic here. Its too simple of an argument for me to refute. I assume that means I am probably missing something.

I worked out a simple equation using the static E field equation and some logic from classical mechanics, and it gave me an oscillating E field where the amplitude dropped off as 1/r^2. I know this is wrong, I should have used schrodinger's eqn, probabilities, and relativistic corrections, but I wasn't trying to go that far with it.

I just want to know why they don't have this, and what's wrong with my logic.

Nothing wrong with your logic per se -- this paradox was well-known prior to the development of quantum mechanics. A classical electron orbiting a classical nucleus would indeed radiate down to zero energy and induce atomic collapse. Some of the things we learned when we developed quantum mechanics: (1) there is not a continuum of bound energy states available to electrons, instead only energy states for which the action is a multiple of Planck's constant are allowed, and (2) bound systems always have a ground state below which radiative transitions do not occur. I'm not sure this resolves the tension between the classical picture and the quantum mechanical picture, but then, I doubt anything does.

BBB

elegysix said:
Electrons are moving charged particles, oscillating in an atom.

Electrons in a ground-state atom move. But not in a way that gives rise to any time-dependent change in the electronic density.

bbbeard said:
(2) bound systems always have a ground state below which radiative transitions do not occur. I'm not sure this resolves the tension between the classical picture and the quantum mechanical picture, but then, I doubt anything does.

BBB

Thanks for posting! did not know about the history of this. pretty cool.

So what I gather is that there is still no answer to this paradox?

Keyword you wrote above was "transitions" that you said do not occur. agreed. But that is not the question. close though lol.

Has anyone tried to test this? an experiment perhaps?

elegysix said:
So what I gather is that there is still no answer to this paradox? ...

Has anyone tried to test this? an experiment perhaps?

Quantum mechanics is our answer to the paradox. We've done a lot of experiments to confirm it in the last 100 years.

BBB

alxm said:
Electrons in a ground-state atom move. But not in a way that gives rise to any time-dependent change in the electronic density.

There is no probability current for s-shell electrons, since the time-independent part of the wave functions are purely real.

In classical electrodynamics, the electron density does not have to change in order for there to be a current that generates a magnetic field. A steady density just implies div J = 0. Consider a coil with a constant current flowing though it. The charge density doesn't change with time, in fact the net charge density is zero. But there is certainly a magnetic field.

BBB

elegysix said:
As bbbeard noted, the problem of atomic collapse due to the continual emission of em energy was well known (iirc, the collapse time was less than a nanosecond). Physicists back then assumed there was some sort of continual "banging about" of the atoms to prevent collapse. Cole gives a more modern "banging about" semiclassical explanation via Stochastic Electrodynamics/zero-point radiation:

http://www.bu.edu/simulation/publications/dcole/PDF/DCColePhysicsLettA.pdf

The results are encouraging but I don't know if it actually represents the real world.

There are so many unknowns in classical em theory when it comes to atomic systems. For example, what is an electron? Why are they all the same (charge, mass, etc)? It doesn't make any sense classically ... there's no explanation other than "that's the way Nature is". QM offers a way to solve interactions without worrying about all the low-level details.

interesting. I remember in freshman physics asking why moving electrons created magnetic fields, and I was told "because they do. that's just how it is". That bothered me for a long time, because it was the only thing I had seen at that point which did not have an explanation.

Related to Ground state radiation question

1) What is ground state radiation?

Ground state radiation refers to the lowest energy level of an atom or molecule. This is the state that an atom or molecule is in when it is at its most stable, with its electrons occupying the lowest energy levels possible.

2) How is ground state radiation different from excited state radiation?

Excited state radiation refers to when an atom or molecule has absorbed energy and its electrons have moved to a higher energy level. This results in the emission of light or radiation as the electrons return to their ground state energy levels. Ground state radiation, on the other hand, does not involve any energy absorption or emission and is the lowest energy level that an atom or molecule can be in.

3) What causes ground state radiation?

Ground state radiation is caused by the natural state of an atom or molecule, where its electrons are in their lowest energy levels. This state is maintained through the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons, which creates a stable balance of energy.

4) How is ground state radiation used in scientific research?

Ground state radiation is used in various scientific fields such as spectroscopy, quantum mechanics, and atomic physics. It is used to study the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules, as well as the interactions between them. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI scans, to detect the ground state radiation emitted by the body's atoms.

5) Can ground state radiation be manipulated?

Yes, ground state radiation can be manipulated through the use of external energy sources. For example, lasers can be used to excite atoms or molecules to higher energy levels, resulting in the emission of light or radiation. Scientists can also manipulate the ground state radiation of atoms to control the properties and behavior of materials, which has many practical applications in technology and industry.