Ground State Energy of a Potential: λ2px2/2m+0.5kx2

In summary: But try it and see what you get.In summary, the conversation discusses the ground state energy of a system with a given potential of the form λ2px2/2m+.5kx2. It is shown that by setting m' = m/λ2, the Hamiltonian can be recast into one for which the solution is known. It is also noted that for λ = 1, the usual LHO is recovered, and the frequency of the oscillator is given by ω' = λω. It is suggested to take a similar approach for a potential with a λ2 term present in the potential term instead of the kinetic term.
Apashanka das
I am having a doubt that if Id lho potential is Given of the form λ2px2/2m+.5kx2
then whether the ground state energy of the system is
λ2/4ħω+1/4ħω

Physics news on Phys.org
What is λ? How do you calculate ω?

DrClaude said:
What is λ? How do you calculate ω?
λ is a constant. And ω=sqrt(k/m)

Apashanka das said:
λ is a constant. And ω=sqrt(k/m)
Since λ is a constant, isn't it equivalent to rescaling the mass? Use that to modify the equation for ω.

DrClaude said:
Since λ is a constant, isn't it equivalent to rescaling the mass? Use that to modify the equation for ω.
sorry I didn't get you

Set ##m' = m / \lambda^2##. What do you get then?

Apashanka das said:
its then kinetic energy term of mass m' but the potential energy is for mass m
But I don't see any m in the potential energy term. It is based on a spring constant k.

DrClaude said:
But I don't see any m in the potential energy term. It is based on a spring constant k.
ok sir in that case the ans is .5λħω or .5ħω'
Am I right?
Thanks sir in helping me to understand the concept

Apashanka das said:
ok sir in that case the ans is .5λħω or .5ħω'
Am I right?
Correct.

Sir once more if there
Apashanka das said:
I am having a doubt that if Id lho potential is Given of the form px2/2m+λ2.5kx2
then whether the ground state energy of the system is
λ.5ħω
in that case x is replaced by x'
Am I right

Last edited:
Apashanka das said:
Sir once more if there

in that case x is replaced by x'
Am I right
No, there is no change in x. We are rescaling mass, so it will affect momentum, kinetic energy, and the frequency of oscillation, but not position.

DrClaude said:
No, there is no change in x. We are rescaling mass, so it will affect momentum, kinetic energy, and the frequency of oscillation, but not position.
sir what if the potential is given like px2/2m+.5λ2kx2
where is the rescaling done

Apashanka das said:
sir what if the potential is given like px2/2m+.5λ2kx2
where is the rescaling done
I think I want to let you figure this out yourself.

My approach was to try to recast the problem
$$
\hat{H} = \lambda^2 \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + \frac{k}{2}x^2
$$
into one for which I know the solution (instead of having to find solutions from scratch, which is of course a viable way to do it). I see that if I set ##m' = m/\lambda^2##, then I have
$$
\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m'} + \frac{k}{2}x^2
$$
I know that the eigenenergies for this Hamiltonian are
$$
E_n = \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \hbar \omega'
$$
with ##\omega' = \sqrt{k / m'}##. I also know that for ##\lambda = 1##, we recover the usual LHO with ##\omega = \sqrt{k / m}##. It is from this that I infer that the frequency of the oscillator is ##\omega' = \lambda \omega##, or
$$
E_n = \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \hbar \lambda \omega
$$
So there presence of the ##\lambda^2## in the kinetic energy term is the same as changing the mass of the oscillator.

You can take a similar approach for this new potential.

DrClaude said:
I think I want to let you figure this out yourself.

My approach was to try to recast the problem
$$
\hat{H} = \lambda^2 \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + \frac{k}{2}x^2
$$
into one for which I know the solution (instead of having to find solutions from scratch, which is of course a viable way to do it). I see that if I set ##m' = m/\lambda^2##, then I have
$$
\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m'} + \frac{k}{2}x^2
$$
I know that the eigenenergies for this Hamiltonian are
$$
E_n = \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \hbar \omega'
$$
with ##\omega' = \sqrt{k / m'}##. I also know that for ##\lambda = 1##, we recover the usual LHO with ##\omega = \sqrt{k / m}##. It is from this that I infer that the frequency of the oscillator is ##\omega' = \lambda \omega##, or
$$
E_n = \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \hbar \lambda \omega
$$
So there presence of the ##\lambda^2## in the kinetic energy term is the same as changing the mass of the oscillator.

You can take a similar approach for this new potential.
sir this much part I have understand but my question is if λ2 term is present in the potential term instead of kinetic term then by rescaling x it yield the same ans
Is it right

Apashanka das said:
sir this much part I have understand but my question is if λ2 term is present in the potential term instead of kinetic term then by rescaling x it yield the same ans
Is it right
I would see it more as a rescaling of the force constant k. You have to be careful because x appears also in the kinetic energy through d/dx.

Related to Ground State Energy of a Potential: λ2px2/2m+0.5kx2

1. What is the ground state energy of a potential?

The ground state energy of a potential is the lowest possible energy that a particle can have when subjected to that potential. It is also known as the zero-point energy.

2. What is λ in the potential equation?

λ is the reduced Planck's constant, also known as h-bar, which is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It is equal to the Planck's constant divided by 2π.

3. What is px in the potential equation?

px is the momentum of the particle in the x-direction. In quantum mechanics, momentum is represented by the operator p, which is equal to -iħ(d/dx), where i is the imaginary unit and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. What is m in the potential equation?

m is the mass of the particle. In quantum mechanics, mass is represented by the operator m, which is a constant value for a given particle.

5. How is the ground state energy affected by the parameters in the potential equation?

The ground state energy is affected by both the mass and the stiffness of the potential. As the mass increases, the ground state energy also increases, while as the stiffness (represented by k) increases, the ground state energy decreases.