Grinding Camshafts: Cost & Strength Benefits

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strength
In summary, camshafts are normally ground due to two main reasons: dimensional control and surface finish. Even if die casting and welding were used, it would be difficult to achieve the necessary tolerances and surface finish required for camshafts. Additionally, the wide variations in camshaft design would make the casting process complicated and costly. Grinding is a more cost-effective option, as it allows for precise dimensional control and surface finish. However, there is a growing trend towards 3D profiles on camshafts, which may require additional considerations in terms of surface hardening and grinding.
sid_galt
Why are camshafts normally grinded? Is diecasting and then welding camlobes to a shaft too expensive and/or does it give less strength?

Engineering news on Phys.org
First two reasons that come immediately to mind:
- Dimensional control
- Surface finish

Even if you die cast and fabricated a camshaft, and found some obscure way of ensuring that your ordinates were absolutely spot on (doubt you'd achieve this with any welding process), you'd have nowhere near the surface finish needed.

FredGarvin said:
- Dimensional control

What do you mean by dimensional control? Forgetting other factors for a movement, can't cam lobes be made in dies since cams only have a 2d profile, not a 3d one.

FredGarvin said:
- Surface finish

Can't surface finish be done through grinding after the casting? That would save a lot of grinding.

I think just the wide variations in the design of camshafts (I mean more then just lobe ramp rates or separation angle but basic dimensions like length or spacing and even center circle diameter) would make the casting process very complicated with little gain to offset the increased workload. Even if you could ship it out to less expensive overseas labor, it seems more expensive and error prone than just grinding down round blanks that can be checked for runout before grinding (and melted and recast if out of spec) rather than trying to assemble 2 dozen pieces. I can't see grinding time being that expensive.

You mean that due to the wide possibilities using grinding (not to mention its uses elsewhere too), grinding comes out to be overall cheaper than dieing?

How does one calculate the cost of grinding and the time taken?

sid_galt said:
What do you mean by dimensional control? Forgetting other factors for a movement, can't cam lobes be made in dies since cams only have a 2d profile, not a 3d one.
Having a 2D profile has nothing to do with it. When I say dimensional control, I mean in the sense that most rotating surfaces such as those found on cams running locations and bearing locations are held to very tight tolerances that are not achievable (easily) any other way. You definitely will not hold four decimal places (english) out of a die or casting. It must have secondary machining operations after the bulk deformation process. The thing about welding, ESPECIALLY on rotating hardware is that it is difficult to maintain runout on all of the surfaces. You would have to go through rounds of annealing after the weld along with straightening. It would add more work. We weld shaft sections sometimes, especially for one of a kind R&D hardware. However, there is a real art to getting it right plus getting the rotating group to balance in the end.

sid_galt said:
Can't surface finish be done through grinding after the casting? That would save a lot of grinding.
Yes. You are correct. I would assume that the final machining is a fine cut grind, akin to a very light lathe cut, to get the surface roughness required.

Last edited:
Actually I'm not sure if a cam on an engine camshaft really is a 2D profile. If you pull a valve cover and watch the pushrods while the engine is running you will notice that they spin. There is only one way I know of for this to happen and that for the cam lobe to be ground slightly larger on one side. Usually the lifter has a slight convex shape to the part that contacts the cam. Come to think of it I've noticed the wear pattern on a camshaft and it is usually off to one side.

Averagesupernova said:
Actually I'm not sure if a cam on an engine camshaft really is a 2D profile. If you pull a valve cover and watch the pushrods while the engine is running you will notice that they spin. There is only one way I know of for this to happen and that for the cam lobe to be ground slightly larger on one side. Usually the lifter has a slight convex shape to the part that contacts the cam. Come to think of it I've noticed the wear pattern on a camshaft and it is usually off to one side.
I have seen industry articles saying that cam machining is getting to be very difficult because of the 3D aspect. I am not sure if the 2D has been done away with. I guess in the context of the original question it doesn't really matter.

Wait, if the cams are having a 3d profile, wouldn't that mean that the pushrod is at contact with the cam at only a point (assuming pushrods are used in the engine)?
Wouldn't that make the stress unacceptable?

EDIT: Just calculated, two spheres in point contact with radius 1 cm and force on valves = 560 N will have a contact stress of 260 MPa. Ofcourse the fact that one of the spheres is actually a rod and friction effects etc. would distort this figure, but my point is that point contact stresses with such high forces are EXTREMELY high not to mention the surface cyclic stresses caused by a spinning rod and a spinning camlobe. Wouldn't such pushrods which have point contact be expensive to manufacture and grind?

Last edited:
The Hertz stresses are higher than usual, which is why they rods and cams are usually surface hardened and then ground. This also gives you some insight into why things like bearings and gears can be very expensive. The hardness and resulting difficulty in machining is necessary to resist surface fatigue due to the contact stresses. This all also leads into why surface finish is important. I had to go back and look it up, but surface finish has a direct correlation to fatigue endurance limit (the [tex]C_s[/tex] Cs value in my book).

Related to Grinding Camshafts: Cost & Strength Benefits

1. What is the cost of grinding camshafts?

The cost of grinding camshafts varies depending on the type of camshaft, the materials used, and the labor costs of the grinding process. On average, grinding a camshaft can cost anywhere from $200 to $1000.

2. What are the benefits of grinding camshafts?

Grinding camshafts can improve the performance and durability of an engine. It allows for more precise and consistent timing, which can result in better power and torque. Additionally, grinding can reduce the weight of the camshaft, resulting in better fuel efficiency.

3. Does grinding a camshaft affect its strength?

Yes, grinding a camshaft can affect its strength. While it can improve the strength and durability of the camshaft by removing any imperfections or surface damage, it can also weaken the camshaft if too much material is removed during the grinding process.

4. How do I know if my camshaft needs to be ground?

If you are experiencing performance issues with your engine, such as rough idling or decreased power, it may be a sign that your camshaft needs to be ground. Additionally, if your camshaft is visibly worn or damaged, it may need to be ground to restore its optimal performance.

5. Can I grind a camshaft myself or should I take it to a professional?

Grinding a camshaft requires specialized equipment and knowledge. It is not recommended for individuals to attempt to grind a camshaft themselves unless they have extensive experience and access to the necessary tools. It is best to take your camshaft to a professional who has the expertise and equipment to properly grind it.