Grid tie inverter distorting waveform

In summary: The inverter may not be producing a pure sinewave, which would cause the problems. There are a few things that could be checked to see if the problem is with the inverter or the solar panels.
oz93666
I've just wired in a 1kw grid tie inverter, feeding the power from solar panels into the mains grid, ( in Thailand , so no rules or regulations).

There are some problems I've noticed. Toaster buzzes , but works. Induction cooker won't work, lights come on , fan works but no heat delivered, when grid tie switched off, works fine again. Soldering iron ( temperature controlled) won't heat up fully.

This seems to indicate the grid tie inverter is not pure sine wave. What can be done? Would a power line filter help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
oz93666 said:
I've just wired in a 1kw grid tie inverter, feeding the power from solar panels into the mains grid, ( in Thailand , so no rules or regulations).

There are some problems I've noticed. Toaster buzzes , but works. Induction cooker won't work, lights come on , fan works but no heat delivered, when grid tie switched off, works fine again. Soldering iron ( temperature controlled) won't heat up fully.

This seems to indicate the grid tie inverter is not pure sine wave. What can be done? Would a power line filter help?

Where did you get the inverter? Perhaps you should talk with the manufacturer about the problems. And 1kW is not a very big inverter. How big are the solar panels, and how much power do they produce in bright sunlight? I suspect that you are not getting 1kW out of the solar panels and/or they are not being operated at their maximum power point.

oz93666 said:

Most inverters produce a facsimile of a waveshape, but very crude, a step function with copious harmonics. I would check to make sure what you did was correct first, as far as the hookup and your regulator. Are the panels balanced with the inverter and loads?

oz93666 said:
This seems to indicate the grid tie inverter is not pure sine wave.
Good conclusion.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the grid tie inverter. Based on your observations, it is likely that the inverter is distorting the waveform of the electricity being fed into the mains grid. This could be due to various factors such as poor quality components, improper installation, or design flaws.

To address this issue, I would recommend consulting with a qualified electrician or engineer to properly assess the inverter and its components. It may be necessary to replace or repair certain components to ensure a pure sine wave output.

In addition, a power line filter could potentially help to reduce the distortion caused by the inverter, but it is important to note that this may not fully solve the problem. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the most effective solution for your specific situation.

It is also important to consider the potential safety hazards of using a distorted waveform, as it may cause damage to electrical devices and appliances, and could potentially pose a risk to individuals using them. I would strongly recommend addressing this issue as soon as possible to ensure the safety and proper functioning of your electrical system.

In summary, it is important to properly assess and address the root cause of the waveform distortion in your grid tie inverter. Seeking professional help and considering the potential safety hazards are crucial steps in finding a solution.

Related to Grid tie inverter distorting waveform

What is a grid tie inverter and how does it work?

A grid tie inverter is a device that converts direct current (DC) electricity from a renewable energy source, such as solar panels, into alternating current (AC) electricity that can be fed into the power grid. It works by synchronizing its AC output with the frequency and voltage of the grid, allowing the electricity to flow seamlessly between the two systems.

What is waveform distortion and how does it affect grid tie inverters?

Waveform distortion refers to changes in the shape of the AC voltage and current waveforms. In grid tie inverters, this can be caused by non-linear loads or fluctuations in the grid voltage. It can affect the efficiency and performance of the inverter, potentially causing damage and reducing the lifespan of the system.

How does a grid tie inverter distort the waveform?

Grid tie inverters can distort the waveform by introducing harmonics, which are multiples of the fundamental frequency, into the AC output. This is typically caused by the switching action of the inverter's power electronics and can result in a distorted and irregular waveform.

What are the potential consequences of a distorted waveform in a grid tie inverter?

A distorted waveform can lead to increased losses, reduced power quality, and potential damage to the inverter and other connected equipment. It can also cause interference with other electronic devices and appliances connected to the grid.

What measures can be taken to reduce waveform distortion in grid tie inverters?

To reduce waveform distortion, grid tie inverters can be designed with advanced control algorithms and filters that help to smooth out the AC output. Additionally, proper installation and maintenance of the inverter can help to minimize the impact of waveform distortion on the system. It is also important to ensure that all equipment connected to the inverter is compatible and properly grounded.