How Can I Convert a Variable DC to an AC Inverter for Off-Grid Use?

In summary, the person is trying to modify an old Jacobs wind turbine controller to make it off-grid. The controller has a 3-phase AC input that is rectified but not clipped by internal SCR's, resulting in a variable DC output. They are looking to build a variable DC input inverter that can produce a pure sine wave 120/240 VAC split phase output. This will allow the controller to regulate the power and function properly. The person is seeking ideas or a manufacturer that produces such a device. They have been advised to use a simple signal generator to create a 60 Hz reference waveform, which can be found on Ebay or Amazon.
Nbrooks
So here is what I am trying to accomplish. I am trying to take an old Jacobs wind turbine controller that was designed for a grid tie application and make it off grid. There is a 3 phase "wild" ac input from the turbine that is rectifyed but not clipped by the internal SCR's to variable DC (40-180 volts). The sensing was designed to tie to the grid and power sync'd to line power and freq then exported or imported depending on demand.

What I would like to do is build a Variable Dc input inverter that will put out a pure sine wave 120/240 vac split phase. Thus imprinting a usable power output and allowing the cap/choke inverter portion of the controller to do its part. The design need not handle much power as it is only used as an imprint to regulate the power through the controller.

If anyone had any idea on a build for this or a manufacturer that is producing such an item I could really use some ideas.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You just need a simple singnal generator that can make a 60 Hz reference waveform. You can find them on Ebay and Amazon

Related to How Can I Convert a Variable DC to an AC Inverter for Off-Grid Use?

1. What is a Variable DC to AC inverter?

A Variable DC to AC inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. This allows for the use of DC power sources, such as batteries or solar panels, to power appliances and devices that require AC electricity.

2. How does a Variable DC to AC inverter work?

A Variable DC to AC inverter works by using electronic components, such as transistors and diodes, to convert the DC electricity into high frequency AC electricity. This AC electricity is then fed through a transformer to increase the voltage to the desired level. The inverter also uses a control circuit to regulate the frequency and voltage of the AC output.

3. What are the benefits of using a Variable DC to AC inverter?

One of the main benefits of using a Variable DC to AC inverter is the ability to use DC power sources for AC devices. This is especially useful for off-grid and remote locations where AC power may not be readily available. Inverters also allow for more efficient use of energy, as they can convert DC power from sources like solar panels into usable AC power for household appliances.

4. How do I choose the right Variable DC to AC inverter for my needs?

When choosing a Variable DC to AC inverter, it is important to consider the power requirements of the devices you want to power. Inverters come in various sizes and power ratings, so make sure to choose one that can handle the maximum power needed for your devices. It is also important to consider the input voltage and frequency requirements of the inverter to ensure compatibility with your DC power source.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Variable DC to AC inverter?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a Variable DC to AC inverter. Make sure to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Avoid overloading the inverter by not exceeding its maximum power rating. Also, be sure to use appropriate wiring and grounding techniques to prevent electrical hazards. It is also recommended to use an inverter with built-in safety features, such as overload protection and automatic shut-off in case of a fault.