Greetings from someone who just signed up

• Thread starter physicsponderer
  • Start date
In summary, "Greetings from someone who just signed up" is a way to welcome new members to a community or platform and start building connections. It is usually sent by a new member or the community/platform itself and it is polite to respond to it. Customizing the message and making it more personalized, friendly, and engaging can make it more effective in making a good first impression and building connections with others.
physicsponderer
How did you find PF?
Google
I think about physics, and how to teach physics, a lot, and always have.

I have a lot of questions about physics, and a lot of ideas for ways of explaining physics in new ways. I like the look of Physics Forums. I hope I can learn a lot here, and teach a lot, too.

Over the years I've found Physics Forums has some of the best answers to be found for free on the web.

I like how the following people explain physics to the layman, and would like to emulate them:
Lewis Carroll Epstein, Richard Feynman.

Likes hutchphd, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums! Have you browsed through our Educators and Teaching forum yet? :smile:

Likes physicsponderer
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums! Have you browsed through our Educators and Teaching forum yet? :smile:
No I haven't. I'll have a look now.

Yeah, there are a number of great threads in the Educators forum. Threads and posts by those who do the teaching, and especially in these difficult times, it's good to see what other educators are doing. Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Thanks. I find that this website is very well-designed and easy to use. Is there a physics puzzles discussion going on anywhere?

Likes berkeman
There is a monthly Math Challenge thread that is started and managed by @fresh_42 but so far we don't have a Physics Challenge equivalent. As discussed in a thread (somewhere), it is a lot of work to maintain such threads. You volunteering? :smile:

Likes physicsponderer
No.:smile:

One thread that I wanted to post on was marked closed, and requiring more privileges than I had. How does that work?

If the thread is closed, it means nobody can post in it.

Why is a thread closed?

physicsponderer said:
Why is a thread closed?
Because they closed it. Maybe it is a nonsense thread or spam thread.

physicsponderer said:
Why is a thread closed?
Threads are closed if the discussion is going nowhere, the OP doesn't follow the rules, or even if the post is just old.

If you want to discuss something, just start a new thread.

Likes fresh_42
physicsponderer said:
Why is a thread closed?
Or it may just be really old thread -- the forum software tends to close really old threads to avoid necroposting.

Can you give us a link to the closed thread you are asking about?

berkeman said:
Or it may just be really old thread
Gee. Why didn't I think of that
phinds said:
even if the post is just old

Oh, wait ... I did. :smile:

Come on berkeman, try to keep up here :oldlaugh:

Oops, too much skimming on my part. o0)

You didn't ask for a link too, did you?

Likes phinds
Likes berkeman and physicsponderer
Why is it bad to post in a dead thread? What makes it "dead", anyway?

I don't know how to start a new thread. Are there some instructions for this site I can read?

physicsponderer said:
Why is it bad to post in a dead thread? What makes it "dead", anyway?
If a thread is old, the discussion is over and done with. If you want to discuss that topic start a new thread.
I don't know how to start a new thread. Are there some instructions for this site I can read?
Go to the forum that you want the thread to be in and just click on
1608327579496.png

Likes physicsponderer

Related to Greetings from someone who just signed up

1. What is the purpose of "Greetings from someone who just signed up"?

The purpose of "Greetings from someone who just signed up" is to welcome new members to a community or platform. It is a way to introduce oneself and start building connections with others.

2. Who sends "Greetings from someone who just signed up"?

Typically, "Greetings from someone who just signed up" is sent by a new member who has just joined a community or platform. It can also be sent by the community or platform itself as a way to welcome new members.

3. Is it necessary to respond to "Greetings from someone who just signed up"?

It is not necessary to respond to "Greetings from someone who just signed up", but it is considered polite to do so. Responding allows for further communication and can help establish a connection with the sender.

4. Can I customize my "Greetings from someone who just signed up" message?

Yes, you can customize your "Greetings from someone who just signed up" message to make it more personal and unique. This can help you stand out and make a good first impression on other members.

5. How can I make "Greetings from someone who just signed up" more effective?

To make "Greetings from someone who just signed up" more effective, you can try to make it more personalized, use a friendly and welcoming tone, and include a brief introduction about yourself. You can also try to follow up with the recipient and continue the conversation to build a stronger connection.