Green's Theorem & Line Integral confusion

In summary, Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates line integrals to double integrals over a region enclosed by a curve. It states that the line integral around a closed curve is equal to the double integral of the region and the vector field's curl. This simplifies the calculation of line integrals and has applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. To use it, one must check if it is applicable and carefully set up the double integral.
Dead85

Homework Statement

a) Evaluate the work done by the force field F(x, y) = (3y^(2) + x)i + 4x^(3)j over the curve
r(t) = e^(t)i + e^(3t)j, tε[0, ln(2)].
b) Using Green’s theorem, find the area enclosed by the curve r(t) and the segment that
joins the points (1, 1) and (2, 8).
c) Find the flux of F across the curve described in b).

Homework Equations

I may be missing something but for the life of me I can't figure out how to answer part b.). I already have part a.) and can do part c.) just need to figure out the limits for part be.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)∫(0 to ln2 )[3e^(7t) + e^(2t) + 12e^(7t)]dt= 2547

B.)Greens Theorem
∫(12x^2-(6y+1))dA

Any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (b): Draw the graph of the curve r(t) in the given interval. You only need to plot 3 points to get a general idea of the shape of the graph. Try the following values of t: 0, ln (1) and ln (2). Then, plot the line that joins the points (1,1) and (2,8). Find its equation. Then describe the enclosed region and find its area using the Green's theorem.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Dead85! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Dead85 said:
r(t) = eti + e3tj, tε[0, ln(2)].
b) Using Green’s theorem, find the area enclosed by the curve r(t) and the segment that
joins the points (1, 1) and (2, 8).

So r is part of y = x3.

To find the area, you need ∫∫ 1 dA.

So to use Green's theorem, you need a function (G(x,y),H(x,y)) with ∂H/∂x - ∂G/∂y = 1.

Try something like (0,-x) or (y,0). :smile:

Related to Green's Theorem & Line Integral confusion

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after mathematician George Green and is a powerful tool for solving various problems in physics and engineering.

2. How is Green's Theorem related to line integrals?

Green's Theorem states that the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field around a closed curve is equal to the double integral of the region enclosed by the curve and the vector field's curl. This allows us to evaluate line integrals by simply calculating double integrals, which can be easier in certain cases.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a double integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the total value of a function along a given curve. It is typically used to calculate work, circulation, or flux. On the other hand, a double integral is a type of integral that calculates the volume under a surface over a given region in two-dimensional space. It is often used to calculate area, mass, or average value.

4. What is the purpose of Green's Theorem?

The main purpose of Green's Theorem is to simplify the calculation of line integrals by relating them to double integrals. This makes it easier to solve problems in physics and engineering that involve vector fields. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and differential geometry.

5. How can I use Green's Theorem to solve problems?

To use Green's Theorem to solve a problem, you first need to determine if it is applicable. This means checking if the curve is closed and if the vector field is continuous and differentiable in the region enclosed by the curve. If it is applicable, you can use the formula to calculate the double integral and then evaluate the line integral. It is important to carefully set up the double integral, making sure to consider the orientation of the curve and the direction of the vector field at each point.