Green's theorem applied to polar graph

In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's theorem to compute the area of one petal of a 28-leafed rose with the equation r = 5sin(14 \theta). The student is confused about how to apply Green's theorem and suggests turning the equation into cartesian coordinates. The expert provides a hint to look for a function with a constant curl.
csnsc14320

Homework Statement

Use Green's theorem to compute the area of one petal of the 28-leafed rose defined by [tex]r = 5sin(14 \theta)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A = \frac{1}{2} \int_c{x dy - y dx}[/tex]
[tex]\int \int_c{M_x + N_y}dx dy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really more confused about just what to do outright. Green's theorem tells me that I can take the integral in that area formula and compute the double integral of the divergence of a vector field F = <M(x,y),N(x,y)>, but I have no idea how that helps me since I don't see any vector field here and I don't know the components N and M.

I think maybe I need to turn the expression [tex]r = 5sin(14 \theta)[/tex] into cartesian coordinates, but not really seeing what to do from here.

theres just too many equalities in greens theorem >:(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi csnsc14320! :wink:

(your equations look a bit odd)

Hint: you're looking for a function whose curl is constant. :smile:

Related to Green's theorem applied to polar graph

1. What is Green's theorem applied to polar graph?

Green's theorem is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to evaluate line integrals along a closed curve in a two-dimensional space. When applied to polar graphs, it allows for the calculation of areas enclosed by polar curves.

2. How is Green's theorem applied to polar graph used in scientific research?

Green's theorem applied to polar graph is commonly used in engineering and physics research to calculate the area of regions bounded by polar curves, which can be helpful in determining the mass, volume, or other properties of a physical system.

3. Can Green's theorem applied to polar graph be used to calculate other quantities besides area?

Yes, Green's theorem can also be used to calculate line integrals of vector fields along a closed curve in a two-dimensional space. This can be useful in solving various physics and engineering problems involving forces, work, and flux.

4. Are there any limitations to using Green's theorem applied to polar graph?

One limitation is that the polar curve being evaluated must be a simple closed curve, meaning it does not intersect itself or have any holes. Additionally, the region being evaluated must be bounded by a single closed curve, not multiple curves.

5. Are there any alternative methods to calculate areas of regions bounded by polar curves?

Yes, there are other methods such as using double integrals or using the polar area formula (A=1/2 ∫ r^2 dθ) to find the area directly. However, Green's theorem can be a more efficient and versatile method in certain situations, especially when dealing with more complex curves or when other quantities such as work or flux need to be calculated.