Green's Function for Newtons Force Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Green's function in solving Newton's equation. The Green's function is split into two regions and the differential equation is solved separately in each region. The solutions are then matched at the boundary and the resulting relationship between the solutions gives the final form of the Green's function. The initial conditions and continuity requirements are also mentioned in this process.
JesseC
This isn't so much a problem as a step in some maths that I don't understand: (I'm trying to follow a very badly written help sheet)

Here's how it goes:

Given Newtons equation

[tex] m \ddot{x} = F [/tex]

The Green's function for this equation is given by

[tex] \ddot{G}(t,t^\prime)=\delta(t-t^\prime)[/tex] (1)

With initial conditions

[tex] G(t_1,\acute{t})=G(t_2,t^\prime)=0 [/tex]

We obtain the Green's function for t not equal to t':

[tex]G=A(t-t_1), \ t<t^\prime [/tex]
[tex]G=B(t-t_2), \ t>t^\prime[/tex] (2)

Now I'm new to greens functions so I don't understand how you get from (1) to (2), and why are there two solutions for different domains. Are we guessing solutions of the form given in (2) and seeing if it works or is it just 'obvious' and I'm not seeing why. Thanks to anyone who can help me understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function splits the interval [t1,t2] into two pieces at t=t'. The idea is to solve the differential equation in each region and then match them up at the boundary t=t'.

When t≠t', δ(t-t')=0, so you're looking for solutions to

[tex]\ddot{G(t)} = 0[/tex]

in each region. When you impose the initial conditions G(t1)=G(t2)=0, you get the two solutions given, where A and B are arbitrary constants.

The next step would be to require G(t) be continuous at t=t', and that will give you a relationship between A and B.

Thanks, I understand that now!

Related to Green's Function for Newtons Force Equation

What is the Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation?

The Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation is a mathematical function that describes the response of a system to an external force. It is a solution to the differential equation of motion for a system under the influence of a force.

How is the Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation used?

The Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation is used to solve for the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a system at any given time. It can also be used to study the behavior of the system when different forces are applied.

What are the key properties of the Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation?

The Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation has the properties of causality, linearity, and time-invariance. This means that the response of the system at a given time is only dependent on the forces applied in the past, it can be expressed as a linear combination of forces, and the response is independent of the time at which the force is applied.

How is the Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation derived?

The Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation is derived by solving the differential equation of motion for a system under the influence of a delta function force. This results in a function that describes the response of the system to an impulse force, which can then be used to calculate the response to any other force.

What are the applications of the Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation?

The Green's Function for Newton's Force Equation has applications in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in the study of vibrations, oscillations, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design of control systems and in the analysis of mechanical and electrical systems.