Green's first identity at the boundary

In summary, the Green's identity requires the integrated function to be smooth and continuous in the integration region. However, if the function is only discontinuous at the boundary, it can still be used by defining the region as open and using the appropriate surface divergence. The boundary condition can be expressed as the difference between exterior and interior limit functions.
Jeffrey Yang
As required by the Green's identity, the integrated function has to be smooth and continuous in the integration region Ω.

How about if the function is just discontinuous at the boundary?

For example, I intend to make a volume integration of a product of electric fields, the field function is well-behaved in the volume but discontinue at the boundary (for the normal component of the field) due to a difference of permitivity occurs.

In this case, can I still use the Green's first identity?
If I can, what kind of surface divergence I should use at the boundary?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
If your function is only discontinuous on the boundary, then I am pretty sure you can define your region Omega as the open region not including the boundary.
To determine the divergence, I have seen it done using:
## \hat n \times ( \vec H_1 - \vec H_2 ) = \vec J ,## with ##\hat n ## the unit normal to the surface pointing into region 1 and ##\vec J## the current present on the boundary described by ##f##.
Then, defining exterior and interior limit functions:
##
\begin{align*} w_e (x) &= \lim_{p \to x} w(p) \quad p \text{ exterior to } \partial \Omega,\\

w_i (x) &= \lim_{q \to x} w(q) \quad q \text{ interior to } \partial \Omega.

\end{align*}
##
Thus, the boundary condition is expressed as:

## \frac{\partial w_e}{\partial n} - \frac{\partial w_i}{\partial n}= f(x) \qquad \text{ for } x \in \partial \Omega.##

RUber said:
If your function is only discontinuous on the boundary, then I am pretty sure you can define your region Omega as the open region not including the boundary.
To determine the divergence, I have seen it done using:
## \hat n \times ( \vec H_1 - \vec H_2 ) = \vec J ,## with ##\hat n ## the unit normal to the surface pointing into region 1 and ##\vec J## the current present on the boundary described by ##f##.
Then, defining exterior and interior limit functions:
##
\begin{align*} w_e (x) &= \lim_{p \to x} w(p) \quad p \text{ exterior to } \partial \Omega,\\

w_i (x) &= \lim_{q \to x} w(q) \quad q \text{ interior to } \partial \Omega.

\end{align*}
##
Thus, the boundary condition is expressed as:

## \frac{\partial w_e}{\partial n} - \frac{\partial w_i}{\partial n}= f(x) \qquad \text{ for } x \in \partial \Omega.##

Thanks to your reply

Em...Exactly same to what I'm thinking about. Although the function is discontinuous at the boundary, that doesn't mean this differential result is not well behaved. Then we should be able to extend the function safely and then use the Green's identity.

Related to Green's first identity at the boundary

What is Green's first identity at the boundary?

Green's first identity at the boundary is a mathematical equation that relates the values of a function and its derivatives on the boundary of a region to the values and derivatives inside the region. It is used in the field of calculus and is named after the mathematician George Green.

How is Green's first identity at the boundary derived?

Green's first identity at the boundary is derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the divergence theorem. It is a result of integrating the divergence of a vector field over a region and applying the divergence theorem to convert it into a surface integral.

What is the purpose of Green's first identity at the boundary?

The purpose of Green's first identity at the boundary is to provide a relationship between the values of a function and its derivatives on the boundary of a region and the values and derivatives inside the region. This relationship can be used to solve boundary value problems in the field of calculus.

What are some applications of Green's first identity at the boundary?

Green's first identity at the boundary has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the use of differential equations. It is used to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and more.

How does Green's first identity at the boundary relate to the concept of a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a function that satisfies Laplace's equation, which states that the sum of the second partial derivatives of the function is equal to zero. Green's first identity at the boundary is often used to prove that a function is harmonic by showing that it satisfies the boundary conditions required by the identity.