Greek classical elements, plato, his five solids

In summary, the ancient Greek philosopher Plato theorized that the classical elements (water, fire, earth, air) were composed of perfect solids, similar to atoms. This was a way of making sense of the atomist hypothesis and was influenced by dichotomistic thinking. The traditional Greek division of matter was four-fold, but a role was found for the fifth platonic solid as the celestial element of aether. While this may seem outdated now, it is not too different from modern approaches to particle physics.
jackson6612
Statement:
The ancient Greek philosopher Plato theorized that the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element#Classical_elements_in_Greece".

I'm not a philosophy or science student, so please keep your reply plain and straightforward. Thanks.

I can understand the literal meaning of the statement. Plato is actually saying that the classical elements (water, fire, earth, air - space was said to be constituted of aether but tt was not regarded as part of the elements) which made up the Earth were composed of the solids. Just as we say every material object is made up of atoms which in turn are composed of elementary particles. Was he saying that? Was he substituting his regular solids for atoms, etc.? How could he say that fire was made up of some material thing such as those solids when it was immaterial? Obviously they had completely different notion of the world around them, and many things which today seem to be part of common sense were really hard ideas in those times. It reminds me of earlier atomic models such as pudding model which just makes me crave for pudding! I sympathize with them for their ignorance as future generations would do with us for our present ignorance...

Please correct me where I'm wrong.

Best wishes
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
With such a basic question, perhaps it is best to just wiki it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid

This was one way of making sense of the atomist hypothesis. And in fact a good example of dichotomistic thinking as it said if we have this perfect stuff called matter, then it would also be constrained by the availabilty of perfect forms.

The traditional greek division of matter was four-fold (following the dichotomies of Anaximander). There were of course five platonic solids. So a role was found for the fifth as the celestial element of aether, the jostling corpuscles with a circular motion that moved the heavenly bodies in their stream.

This aspect of greek metaphysics may seem laughable now, but it is not really any different in spirit to modern gauge symmetry approaches to particle physics.

Related to Greek classical elements, plato, his five solids

1. What are the Greek classical elements?

The Greek classical elements are earth, water, air, fire, and aether. These elements were believed to be the building blocks of everything in the universe.

2. What is the significance of Plato's five solids?

Plato believed that each of the five classical elements could be represented by a regular solid shape. These shapes, known as the platonic solids, were considered to be perfect and eternal, and were thought to reflect the structure of the universe.

3. How did Plato's five solids influence science and philosophy?

The concept of the five solids had a significant impact on both science and philosophy. It influenced scientific theories about the fundamental structure of matter and the universe, and it also influenced philosophical ideas about the nature of reality and the role of mathematics in understanding the world.

4. Did Plato believe that the five solids were the only possible shapes for the elements?

No, Plato did not believe that the five solids were the only possible shapes for the elements. He believed that they were the most perfect and ideal representations, but recognized that there could be other shapes that could also represent the elements.

5. How do the five solids relate to the modern periodic table of elements?

The five solids do not directly relate to the modern periodic table of elements. However, the concept of elements and their properties has evolved over time, and the periodic table is a representation of the current understanding of the building blocks of matter, which has been influenced by ideas such as Plato's five solids.