Greatest Moduli Complex Number Solution of Equation

In summary, the moduli of the complex numbers z satisfying the equation |z - \frac{4}{z}| = 2 can be found if z is taken to be x + i*0 with x = sqrt(5)+1.
crimpedupcan
I would very much appreciate any help with this problem.

Homework Statement

Find the greatest value of the moduli of the complex numbers [itex]z[/itex] satisfying the equation

[itex]|[/itex][itex]z[/itex] - [itex]\frac{4}{z}[/itex][itex]|[/itex] = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried letting [itex]z[/itex] = [itex]a+bi[/itex] and going from there, but I ended up with this really large equation:

[itex]\left(\frac{a\left(a^{2} + b^{2} - 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2} + \left(\frac{b\left(a^{2} + b^{2} + 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2}[/itex] = 4

and I don't know how to simplify it. And even if I did simplify it, I don't know how I would find the greatest value of the moduli of [itex]z[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so nobody commented (maybe I posted it in the wrong place) but I have since found a solution and thought I would post it, in case anyone got curious:

Using the triangle inequality:
[itex]\left|z\right| - \left|\frac{4}{z}\right| ≤ \left|z - \frac{4}{z}\right|[/itex]
∴ [itex]\left|z\right| - \left|\frac{4}{z}\right| ≤ 2[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\left|z\right|^{2} - 2\left|z\right| - 4 ≤ 0[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\left(\left|z\right| - 1\right)^{2} ≤ 5[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\left|z\right| ≤ \sqrt{5} + 1[/itex]

So the largest value of the modulus of [itex]z[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{5} + 1[/itex]

crimpedupcan said:
I would very much appreciate any help with this problem.

Homework Statement

Find the greatest value of the moduli of the complex numbers [itex]z[/itex] satisfying the equation

[itex]|[/itex][itex]z[/itex] - [itex]\frac{4}{z}[/itex][itex]|[/itex] = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried letting [itex]z[/itex] = [itex]a+bi[/itex] and going from there, but I ended up with this really large equation:

[itex]\left(\frac{a\left(a^{2} + b^{2} - 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2} + \left(\frac{b\left(a^{2} + b^{2} + 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2}[/itex] = 4

and I don't know how to simplify it. And even if I did simplify it, I don't know how I would find the greatest value of the moduli of [itex]z[/itex].

You would have to maximize [itex]a^2 + b^2[/itex], subject to a, b being restricted by your equation above. That problem involves calculus (at the level of Calculus II). A somewhat easier way is to look at z and 1/z in the (x,y) plane, using polar coordinates:
[tex] z = r \cos(\theta) + i r \sin(\theta), \; \frac{4}{z} = \frac{4}{r}\cos(\theta) - i \frac{4}{r} \sin(\theta),[/tex] so
[tex] |z - 4/z|^2 = \left(r - \frac{4}{r}\right)^2 \cos^2(\theta) +
\left( r + \frac{4}{r}\right)^2 \sin^2(\theta) = 4. [/tex]
We want the largest r for which there will be a θ that solves that equation. By setting up the Lagrange multiplier problem we find that either θ = 0 or θ = π/2. When we try θ = π/2 we find there is no real value of r that works. Therefore, we must have θ = 0; that is, z must lie on the positive x-axis. Now the problem becomes one of solving the equation x - 4/x = 2, from which we find x = sqrt(5) + 1, as you gave.

Your solution was OK, but it overlooked one important consideration: you need to know that it is possible to find z in which your triangle inequality becomes an equality. Of course, that is true if we take z = x + i*0 with x = sqrt(5)+1, because in that case z - 4/z = x - 4/x = 2 exactly.

RGV

Related to Greatest Moduli Complex Number Solution of Equation

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary component. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The letter i represents the square root of -1.

2. What is the greatest moduli complex number solution of an equation?

The greatest moduli complex number solution of an equation is the complex number with the largest absolute value that satisfies the equation. This means that it is the solution with the greatest distance from 0 on the complex plane.

3. How is the greatest moduli complex number solution of an equation found?

The greatest moduli complex number solution of an equation can be found by solving the equation and then calculating the absolute value of each complex number solution. The solution with the largest absolute value is the greatest moduli complex number solution.

4. Why is the greatest moduli complex number solution important?

The greatest moduli complex number solution is important because it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of complex numbers in an equation. It can also provide useful information in applications such as physics, engineering, and finance.

5. Can there be more than one greatest moduli complex number solution?

Yes, there can be more than one greatest moduli complex number solution in an equation. This occurs when there are multiple complex number solutions with the same absolute value. In this case, all of these solutions would be considered the greatest moduli complex number solution.