Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle

In summary, the missing square puzzle is an optical illusion that aims to teach students about problem-solving and reasoning in geometry using only textual descriptions and axioms, rather than relying on figures. The puzzle consists of two similar arrangements of shapes, one with a 1x1 hole in it. By inspecting the shapes, it is clear that they are not actually triangles and the hypotenuse slopes of the two shapes are different. This can be seen by overlaying the triangles or by eyeballing down the long sides of each "triangle". No grid is needed for this inspection.
This is quite an interesting puzzle. You know it's wrong but you don't know why by inspection:

The missing square puzzle is an optical illusion used in mathematics classes to help students reason about geometrical figures; or rather to teach them not to reason using figures, but to use only textual descriptions and the axioms of geometry.

It depicts two arrangements made of similar shapes in slightly different configurations. Each apparently forms a 13×5 right-angled triangle, but one has a 1×1 hole in it. [source]

http://twistedsifter.com/2017/07/profs-use-this-puzzle-to-teach-lesson-about-problem-solving/

Can you figure out an easy way to inspect it?

I spotted one way.

Likes QuantumQuest and Charles Link
Mathematics news on Phys.org
##2/5\neq 3/8##

The original shape is not a triangle.

Edit: You can also rather easily see that the original vertex where the smaller triangles meet is inside the second shape and not on its border. This only works if like here you have access to the grid.

Likes QuantumQuest, Laurie K, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person
Yeah that's what I noticed after staring at it for awhile that putting the smaller triangle inside the larger one and using the grid you can see they aren't similar.

It reminds me of the common failure of many trisection angle constructions where you can't prove that three intersecting arcs/lines cross at the same point and consequently the proof fails.

I'm a formula guy. Some basic computations show that both triangles are quadrangles. Or: the long side isn't differentiable on neither figure.

Playing around with "equivalent" angles and tangents got me the same ##\frac{2}{5} \neq \frac{3}{8}##

If you take a belt and suspenders approach with proofs -- i.e. have a proof two independent ways of proving / verifying something-- then picture proofs frequently make a nice set of suspenders.

I recently saw similar "paradox" regarding an infinite chocolate bar... I'm not good with math proof but I could tell the bar was shorter after you remove a piece.

Likes Charles Link and MarchJanuary
Orodruin said:
The original shape is not a triangle.
As a former fence and deck builder, this was apparent by eyeballing down the long sides of each "triangle", where A appears concaved and B appears convexed.

Edit: You don't need the grid for this inspection.

Last edited:
stoomart said:
As a former fence and deck builder, this was apparent by eyeballing down the long sides of each "triangle", where A appears concaved and B appears convexed.

Edit: You don't need the grid for this inspection.
I saw the same thing. Here are the triangles overlaid:
Magic_triangle.jpg

Likes stoomart
I noticed that the hypotenuse "slope" of the second triangle goes a little bit higher, that means it's not a perfect triangle.

Related to Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle

1. What is the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle"?

The "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle" is a mathematical puzzle that involves arranging the numbers 1-9 in a triangle shape so that each row, column, and diagonal adds up to the same number. It is also known as the "Magic Triangle", "Mystic Square", or "Lo Shu Square".

2. How do you solve the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle"?

To solve the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle", you must first place the numbers 1-9 in the triangle shape, making sure that each number is only used once. Then, you must use basic addition to find the sum of each row, column, and diagonal. If the sums are all the same, then you have successfully solved the puzzle!

3. Is there more than one solution to the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle"?

Yes, there are multiple solutions to the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle". In fact, there are 8 possible solutions when following the traditional rules of the puzzle. However, some variations of the puzzle may have even more solutions.

4. What is the history of the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle"?

The "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle" has a long history, with origins dating back to ancient China. It was first described in Chinese literature around 650 BCE, and has since been studied and recreated by many mathematicians and scholars. It has also been adapted into different forms, such as the "Magic Square" in European mathematics.

5. What skills does solving the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle" require?

Solving the "Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle" requires basic math skills, such as addition and number recognition. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as patience and persistence. Some may also find it helpful to use logic and trial-and-error methods to solve the puzzle.