GRE: Solving "n" Integer Question: Determining Possible Values

• MHB
  • Thread starter CharlesLin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding possible values for the integer "n" in a given equation. The solution involves considering the values of "n" that make the equation true, with the only possible answer being n=66. However, the conversation also notes that any positive integer less than 66 is also a correct answer.
CharlesLin
I'm studying for the GRE and got stuck on this question

Suppose "n" is a positive integer such that the smallest whole number that is greater than or equal to n/33 is 1 or 2. Wich are possible values for the integer n? indicate all such integers.

a 15
b 24
c 50
d 66
e 77

what i start doing was giving values to "n" like n=15 then 15/33= .45 the this is not a possible value of "n" because the answer is not a whole number. following this logic, the only possible answer to me is d= 66. However my guide book saids ther more than that possble value for "n". How would you recommend to anwer this question?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The way I read the problem, we have either:

\(\displaystyle 1>\frac{n}{33}\)

or

\(\displaystyle 2>\frac{n}{33}\)

And since $2>1$, we need only consider:

\(\displaystyle 2>\frac{n}{33}\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle 66>n\)

so are you saying that the only answer is 66 or that this is the only one that is not an answer?

I am saying any positive integer less than 66 is correct. :D

We only consider 2 because is larger than one. Then we have

2>n/33
33*2= 66

66>n

Any number less than 66 is value of “n”

Thank you very much!

Related to GRE: Solving "n" Integer Question: Determining Possible Values

1. What is an "n" integer question?

An "n" integer question is a type of problem found in the GRE math section that involves determining the possible values for a given variable or set of variables. These questions often require the use of algebraic equations and logical reasoning to solve.

2. How do I approach solving an "n" integer question?

The first step in solving an "n" integer question is to carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, you can begin to create equations or formulas that represent the relationships between the given variables. From there, you can use algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to determine the possible values for the variables.

3. What strategies can I use to solve "n" integer questions?

One helpful strategy for solving "n" integer questions is to start by plugging in different values for the variables and seeing if they satisfy the given conditions. This can help you to eliminate incorrect or impossible values. Additionally, breaking the problem down into smaller parts and solving them individually can make the overall problem more manageable.

4. Are there any common pitfalls to avoid when solving "n" integer questions?

One common pitfall is assuming that the given variables must be integers, when in fact they may be fractions or decimals. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions or conditions given in the problem, as these can greatly impact the possible values of the variables. Lastly, always double check your work and make sure you have considered all possible cases before submitting your answer.

5. How can I prepare for "n" integer questions on the GRE?

One of the best ways to prepare for "n" integer questions is to practice solving similar problems. You can find practice questions in GRE study guides or online. Additionally, reviewing algebraic principles and logical reasoning strategies can also help improve your skills in solving these types of problems.