GRE Scores & Physics Major: Suggested PhD Schools

In summary, the GRE is not a very good predictor of the real scores, and a school's PGRE is a better indicator of competitiveness.
daveyman
I am scheduled to take the GRE next week. I've already taken a few of the practice tests provided by ETS. According to my last practice test, my scores were 510 for verbal and 700 for quantitative. My major is physics and my current GPA is 3.65. I'd like to get a PhD.

My interests include applied research in the areas of nanoelectronics, photovoltaics, MEMS/NEMS, and biosensors.

I would love to hear any suggestions on which schools might be a good fit for me. I would like to look at schools where I have a good chance at being admitted and where my research interests are well represented.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably be easiest to answer that once you get your scores back. The practice test seems not to be that good a predictor of the real scores.

Your PGRE will help for making suggestions a whole lot more than GRE. Are you taking during April?

Most schools do not weight the general GRE all that much, though anything below a 700 on the Quantitative is proabably not a good sign. A much better indicator on where you would be a competitive application is your PGRE.

Thank you for your responses.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am probably interested in an applied research degree, such as nanoscale science or materials science. These programs don't require the PGRE, so I haven't taken it.

Actually, I haven't ruled out a PhD in physics, but finding statistical information for physics programs is very easy (mainly due to gradschoolshopper.com). It seems to be harder to find similar information about the applied programs, however. That's why I've created this thread.

The school I'm looking at right now is the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at SUNY Albany. Though, I have no idea if my credentials are up to par. I haven't found any other schools that I'm interested in, so I was hoping that by generating this discussion I might get some ideas.

Last edited:

Related to GRE Scores & Physics Major: Suggested PhD Schools

1. What is considered a good GRE score for admission to a physics PhD program?

A good GRE score for admission to a physics PhD program varies depending on the specific school and program. Generally, a score above 320 on the combined verbal and quantitative sections is considered competitive. Some schools may also have specific minimum scores for each section.

2. How important are GRE scores in the admission process for physics PhD programs?

GRE scores are not the only factor considered in the admission process for physics PhD programs. They are typically used as just one piece of the overall application, which also includes letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements. However, having a strong GRE score can certainly enhance an applicant's chances of admission.

3. Do physics PhD programs have a specific minimum GRE score requirement?

Each physics PhD program may have different minimum GRE score requirements, and these requirements can vary by school. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their minimum score requirements.

4. Are there any physics PhD programs that do not consider GRE scores in their admission process?

Some physics PhD programs may have a "test-optional" policy, meaning that they do not require applicants to submit GRE scores. However, this is not common and most programs do consider GRE scores as part of the application.

5. Can a low GRE score prevent me from getting into a physics PhD program?

A low GRE score may not necessarily prevent an applicant from getting into a physics PhD program, as the admissions process takes into account a variety of factors. However, having a strong GRE score can certainly improve an applicant's chances of admission, so it is important to aim for a competitive score. Additionally, some programs may have specific minimum score requirements that must be met in order to be considered for admission.