Gravity waves And entanglement quesro

In summary, gravitational waves likely propagate at the speed of light and can be slowed down by mass carrying objects. Gravitons, if they exist, can be entangled with each other and with other excitations in the gravity field, but the coupling is currently too weak for this to be observed.
Justice Hunter
So this is going to sound ridiculous, but I want to push my curiosity to the limit.

Gravitational waves propogate at the speed of light, like most things in the universe.

My first question is : is this propogation slowed down by anything? The Higgs field perhaps?

2nd question ; I assume that gravity waves act like other waves, and that they are susseptible to interference, and perhaps other quantum mechanical effects. Does this mean that excitations in a gravity field (graviton a) be entangled with another excitation in the field?

P.S. Sorry about spelling/grammar errors. I'm on a phone.

Physics news on Phys.org
The propagation of gravity waves is likely slowed down by mass carrying objects in the same way that light waves are slowed down by charge carrying objects. The gravitational energy causes the masses to oscillate, which in turn, produce minute secondary gravity waves at a time delay. This, with the main gravity wave, gives the effect of a decrease in speed in matter. In that sense, you could imagine a planet or a gas giant acting like a lens for gravity waves, but the index of refraction would be so close to that of a vacuum, there would be likely no observable effect. Plus, it might be that absorption would dominate over refraction, in which case the planet would be like an absorbing medium.

If real gravitons exist, then it is certainly possible for them to be entangled. If the two gravitons can interact, even indirectly, than that interaction could create entanglement. Also, if there were a kind of event that produces pairs of gravitons, those gravitons are likely entangled due to energy and momentum conservation.

Likes Justice Hunter and Buzz Bloom
Justice Hunter said:
My first question is : is this propogation slowed down by anything? The Higgs field perhaps?
We do not have a proper quantum theory of gravity so far, but there is no indication that the Higgs field would give gravitons a mass.
Justice Hunter said:
Does this mean that excitations in a gravity field (graviton a) be entangled with another excitation in the field?
The coupling is way too weak for such an experiment, but theoretically with much stronger gravity, it would be possible.

Likes Justice Hunter

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravity waves detected?

Gravity waves are detected using specialized equipment called interferometers, which use lasers to measure extremely small changes in distance between two points. These changes are caused by the stretching and squeezing of space-time by passing gravity waves.

3. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become intrinsically connected, so that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s) even when they are separated by large distances.

4. How is entanglement used in technology?

Entanglement is used in various technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. In quantum computing, entangled particles can be used to perform calculations and store information. In quantum cryptography, entangled particles are used to establish secure communication channels.

5. Can entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. Even though the state of entangled particles is correlated, information cannot be transmitted between them faster than the speed of light. Any changes in one particle will only be observed after a signal is sent to the other particle at the speed of light.